Skip to main content
Topic: Who's street driving with tubular K-members? (Read 717 times) previous topic - next topic

Who's street driving with tubular K-members?

Probably been beat to death already, but I'm looking at how well does a tubular K-member hold up to everyday street use?  Ya know, like hitting a pothole at 65 mph, and other non-strip forces.
1987 TC

Reply #1
a friend of mine runs a tubular k member in his 2002 mustang with a 434 with a 88mm turbo...has no problem with it and the roads in newfoundland around the towns are full of pothole... and he is making around 850 to 900hp on 5lbs of boost and some where around 1400hp on 14lbs and it is driven hard every day...it pulls the front tires of the ground all the time... hope it helps

Reply #2
Hey, we've got another Newfie! Welcome aboard, 83thunderbird! I'm in Nova Scotia myself, butwe do have another Newf here, Thundergrowl.

Havi: I don't have a tubular K myself, but I'd imagine if you get one that isn't "track only" it'd be plenty strong... probably stronger than the stock stamped steel K-member. Think of the forces on the K-member on drag cars when they come back down after lifting the wheels - probably more force than hitting a pothole...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #3
Maximum Motorsports.
It's Gumby's fault.