Skip to main content
Topic: so the THUNDERBIRDS are in town (Read 1475 times) previous topic - next topic

so the THUNDERBIRDS are in town

It just so happen that I live 2 blocks from republic airport and I look forward to Memorial Day every year. The Jones beach air show switch the Blue Angles and Thunderbirds every other year.

Tuesday is media day and some lucky girl from 98.3FM Kjoy gets a ride of her life

A buddy of mine had a scanner it was cool listening to them trying to clear the air up to 7000 feet he took and went strait up and twisted. Then on his way back the flight tower had to clear the air space again for a low high speed military air craft.

Reply #1
Thats sweet.  I consider myself pretty lucky to live in Vegas because the Thunderbirds home base is here at Nellis.  I get to see them practice all the time.  Theres a pretty cool Thunderbirds museum on the base too.

Edit:  Here is a pic of their home hanger/museum and one of them doin their thing.

1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #2
I saw them a few years ago out in ND when my nephew was stationed there....they are amazing!!

hhhhmmmmm  I wonder what I did with my stickers from then.
:cougarsmily:~Karen~

Reply #3
i was lucky enough to get an incentive ride in an F-15E strike eagle.  we flew for 2 hours and the pilot gave me the stick for 30 minutes to do what i wanted.  We pulled 7g's at one point and that was amazing.  I'll never forget that!

Reply #4
Do they have 5.0s or 3.8s in 'em? ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #5
22.9's which is to say 22,900 lbs of thrust x2 :burnout:

Reply #6
Awesome pictures! I have always wanted to go see them! Never had the chance, but next year they come im going to try my hardest to make it out there!
1971 Camaro Blown 640ci
1988 T-Top Mustang
1980 Mustang coupe
1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe
And a purple mini van! :burnout:

Previous Thunderbirds:
1988 Sport

Reply #7
I went to the air show and very impressed w/the Canadian Snowbirds that was the first time I ever saw them in person and was very impressed. They were just as good as the Thunderbirds.

Reply #8
The Thunderbirds left the airport today on there way to Colorado. So did the redbull mig and f-18s, the a-10s and the Snowbirds leave sometime this week. That the good thing living around the block from an airport I know who’s coming and going just by listening and looking out my backyard.

Reply #9
I have been seeing them practice around town. I will see them at the AF Academy Graduation on Wed.

They are actually going to be using our Honor Guard building while they are here.

*edit*

flying over our building "practicing" so we can't go in there lol
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)

Reply #10
That's awsome!! It's always been a dream of mine to have my car's pic. taken with one. My sister photo shopped one for me but it's not the same. I think they've been to pittsburgh pa. but I've never tried to see if I could get down there. I would imagine you'd have to know someone.