Skip to main content
Topic: totally hosed up sign (Read 1121 times) previous topic - next topic

totally hosed up sign

picture this...........

you exit off the interstate,, (to the far right of pic)

you sweep to the left over the interstate (pretty much dead ahead in picture)

then come upon a circle with 5 branch exits containing 4 lanes in the circle.

now imagine that you being in this circle do not have the right of way as anyone car incoming into the circle has the right of way.

All of this which leads to the access road i stand next to.

I about hit two people trying to catch the signage off the the far right which are all oriented 90deg to the road inwhich they sit next to.

I had to go around three times just to catch the actual access road instead of one of the other 5 branches.

State- MN

totally hosed up sign

Reply #1
here its called a round-a-bout, and all roads entering the intersection have yield signs. traffic in the circle always has right of way.

works ok if everyone understands the concept....a rare situation indeed.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

totally hosed up sign

Reply #2
Whenever I get in one of those, all I picture in my head is "European Vacation" and him driving in the circle saying "I can't get left"
We have many of those in this area
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

totally hosed up sign

Reply #3
We've got one of those in Halifax, too, the infamous "Armdale Rotary". The Armdale was, until recently, unique among roundabouts in that it was "give and go" - when approaching the circle you were to let one vehicle already in the circle go, then proceed yourself. The next vehicle in the circle was required to let you enter. Once in the circle you were to yield the right of way to an approaching car, but only if the car ahead of you did not. There was even a traffic light at each entrance in which BOTH the green AND the red were always lit, this meaning you were supposed to "stop, then go". It was quite confusing, and had been that way for decades. Then about three years ago they decided to change the rules to make it like every other roundabout (those in the circle have the right-of-way). For a full year they advertised the changes on TV, radio and newspaper. There were signs up at the rotary explaining the upcoming changes. Everybody in the city was aware it was coming. They even stationed traffic cops on each entrance to direct people what to do.

Then, on the day the change happened, it was total pandemonium, a Carmageddon of sorts. Total anarchy and complete gridlock. Nobody knew what to do, and everybody being human drivers they assumed they had the right of way.

After a few days it all calmed down and has been working rather smoothly ever since.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

totally hosed up sign

Reply #4
Growing up in Jersey in the 70's and 80's, traffic circles were everywhere. Now they've all been changed to "normal" intersections. I really miss the circles, they were fun! The driver with the biggest vehicle (and biggest balls) wins. You could also look at it like football, you just go in, look for a "blocker", stay to his left and close to the rear, he clears the way for you then you shoot out to the road you need. One of my favorite memories is being in my buddy's 73 Mustang, he's doing about 70 headed into the old Airport Circle and the hood pops up, covering the windshield. I've got my head out the window, watching traffic to the right, he's leaned over using the small sliver of a view under the bottom arc of the hood. Got through with no problem. Good times... good times. Oh, and the time my first 74 Javelin lost all forward gears and I had no change to use the nearest pay phone (stone age, before cell phones) so I couldn't call my friend's shop to ask for a free tow. I was only about 3 miles away so I drove there in reverse, through 2 circles.
 :burnout:
The good old days.
Save a horse, ride a Cougrrr!
1988 Mercury Cougar - 5.0HO, 3G, AOD w/shift kit, 4.10 gears in 8.8, Mass Air, CAI, Pypes X-pipe, Pypes 2 1/2" exhaust, Pypes Violator lers
1997 Ford Mustang GT - stock
2000 Ford Ranger 4X4 4.0 - stock
2001 Mercury Grand Marquis- stock
2008 Ford Escape 4X4 - stock

totally hosed up sign

Reply #5
LOL, Massachusetts is jamb packed with rotaries. Here those on the rotary have the right of way. That one in particular sounds pretty ugly.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

totally hosed up sign

Reply #6
I've only encountered one in the Northwest 'burbs of Chicago. It's fun because no one knows how to use it, except me. I don't even live near it....stupid yuppies;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

totally hosed up sign

Reply #7
How bout this one???

totally hosed up sign

Reply #8
Vehicles within the rotary have the right of way here in NY. 

NJ is how you described it.....Maddening.

Here's on for you.  They just redid the traffic circle (rotary) at Jones beach.  Dig the sign:

Aerial view via Google map:

-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

totally hosed up sign

Reply #9
we call them rotary's in massachusetts. We've got on in the center of my town, lol

totally hosed up sign

Reply #10
Quote from: CougrrrFiveO;273258
Growing up in Jersey in the 70's and 80's, traffic circles were everywhere. Now they've all been changed to "normal" intersections. I really miss the circles, they were fun! The driver with the biggest vehicle (and biggest balls) wins. You could also look at it like football, you just go in, look for a "blocker", stay to his left and close to the rear, he clears the way for you then you shoot out to the road you need. One of my favorite memories is being in my buddy's 73 Mustang, he's doing about 70 headed into the old Airport Circle and the hood pops up, covering the windshield. I've got my head out the window, watching traffic to the right, he's leaned over using the small sliver of a view under the bottom arc of the hood. Got through with no problem. Good times... good times. Oh, and the time my first 74 Javelin lost all forward gears and I had no change to use the nearest pay phone (stone age, before cell phones) so I couldn't call my friend's shop to ask for a free tow. I was only about 3 miles away so I drove there in reverse, through 2 circles.
 :burnout:
The good old days.

There are still a couple of circles on NJ Rt. 31 up in Pennington and Flemington. That's the way we take to my aunt and uncle's. WAY faster than taking the Turnpike.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

totally hosed up sign

Reply #11
Quote from: CougrrrFiveO;273258
Growing up in Jersey in the 70's and 80's, traffic circles were everywhere. Now they've all been changed to "normal" intersections. I really miss the circles, they were fun! The driver with the biggest vehicle (and biggest balls) wins. ...

The good old days.

Yup, sounds like the Jersey I drove in in the 90s... "Normal" intersections? No more jug handles.... ???

totally hosed up sign

Reply #12
Quote from: daminc;273244
Whenever I get in one of those, all I picture in my head is "European Vacation" and him driving in the circle saying "I can't get left"

LOL I was thinking the same thing, i say that with my with wife all the time "there’s big bens parliament kids"

totally hosed up sign

Reply #13
Quote from: daminc;273244

LOL I was thinking the same thing, i say that with my with all the time "there’s big bens parliament kids"

totally hosed up sign

Reply #14
iZ wanna drift one!! lol dukes of hazzrd baby!!!!
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!