Skip to main content
Topic: What has yours been mistaken for (Read 3592 times) previous topic - next topic

What has yours been mistaken for

Reply #15
What year is that, wow, what is it? . Usually, They say why do that to a cat.
My answer, because I can.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #16
Quote from: 88turbo;272114
I had a guy ask his kid to look under my car to see if it was front or rear wheel drive...  stupid chevy guys

are you kidding me LOL

Reply #17
Quote from: Innes;272119
are you kidding me LOL

no not at all.  and that is exactly what I said. and then I said they never made a front wheel drive thunderbird. lol

Reply #18
Quote from: V8Demon;272115
I get the opposite.  Everyone calls mine a T-bird....

When I had my 86 cat, I had a kid tell me he had a v-6 tbird with a turbo too. When I told him it was a cougar he laughed at me.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #19
Quote from: vinnietbird;272111
Hey,it's better than having your car mistaken for a Chevy....right?

Yes it is, one time someone said my car was a Monte Carlo with a LT1 in it. :wtf:

Another person said it was a Cougar.

Most people don't know what it is so they ask, and I just tell them it's a Lincoln Continental Mk VII since that's technically what it is, and everyone seems to recognize the Continental name.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #20
All my Cougars except After have always been mistaken for TBirds, despite the big cat emblem the observer is staring at when he makes the comment.

People don't mistake After for a Bird.  If they don't see "COUGAR" in the side valance, they always ask what kind of car it is.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Reply #21
Had a guy say "That has to be a Buick", the other day.

'88 Mercury Cougar LS, 302, Project Car - "The Coug"
'83 Ford Thunderbird Heritage, 302, Summer Ride, - "The Bambi Killer"
'86 Chevrolet S10, Daily Driver -  "The Black Beater"

Reply #22
Well i had a remote car starter installed and it was before the tc hood and bumper were installed, before paint, and before the tc seats. the guy was like "where are the keys for the old turbo coupe" I was happy.

The guy at the dealership told me he liked my supercoupe one day when everything was done. lol

Reply #23
Quote from: 50tbrd88;272105
I 2nd the Turbo Coupe thing...lol.  Once I had a guy ask me what kind of BMW my car was.  That one hurt my feelings a little.

You shouldn't have hurt feelings at all. The BMW 6-series coupe of the early 80's was a big design influence for these cars.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #24
" What has yours been mistaken for "

Abandoned :[

Reply #25
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;272141
You shouldn't have hurt feelings at all. The BMW 6-series coupe of the early 80's was a big design influence for these cars.

I know I know but I'm not a BMW fan at all.  I just want to go on living without thinking about it man!  lol.  Maybe its worse for them..we're like their redneck cousins.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #26
when I had my cougar it was mostly "what is that" followed by "it looks cool whatever it is"

the tbird is "thunderchicken" or "wow that is cool" or "that thing's turbo'd?!"

:hick:
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)

Reply #27
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;272141

I kinda like being able to say yeah they got the idea from BMW but I'm thinking the Wind tunnel had a big influence in the shape of the Bird's seeing how Ford wanted to get the aero they were missing with the 80-82 Box Fox birds. Back then a stock car or Winston cup car were pretty stock and if the aero was built in all the better.  These Fox T-birds still hold the fastest lap at  Daytona & Talladega for a Cup car that is. Everyone knows what I drive I work at a parts store.  Did have a guy onetime ask "what kinda thing is that?" Didn't know if that was good or bad question.

Stuckman
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #28
Quote from: vinnietbird;272084
I usually get asked "what kind of car is that?".I just tell them it's a Stang with a body kit.

Vinnie you are a....well I wont say it here.  :hick: :rollin::rollin: I about fell over when I read that.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #29
I must either not hang around the right people/places or just ignore/not hear people altogether. I never hear a thing. Yes, my life's apparently boring like that. Either way, I'll keep wrenching on it in the driveway until every part on it is new, rebuilt, or customized. I couldn't care less what anybody else thinks - as long as it gets me where I'm going comfortably without drawing attention to myself, I'm good.
1988 Thunderbird Sport