Skip to main content
Topic: My thought process/Wish me luck (Read 1257 times) previous topic - next topic

My thought process/Wish me luck

I ordered the Bullitt/FRPP 5400 kit today. This gets me a decent drop, much increased spring rates, and, best of all sn95 front struts with rear shocks that still fit a fox car(perhaps they are longer as well?) Im not too concerned with the sway bars if they fit and work out thicker than the TC ones(anybody know the diameter of TC bars BTW) Ill use them if not Ill have something to sell.

Has anybody ever tried this before? Am I in over my head? I will make this kit work on my car(I have a bit of chassis engineering experience and some decent fab skills) just wondering if its been done before.

Careful!

Reply #1
You can't drop these cars too much because of the suspension geometry.  SN95 also reduces your overall suspension travel vs the T-bird struts.  Mustang shocks are too short for a T-bird.  Maybe check Chuck's adapters?

OTOH, all that stuff really makes the car fun.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #2
Mustang shocks are too short for a T-bird. Maybe check Chuck's adapters?

Yes.

SN95 also reduces your overall suspension travel vs the T-bird struts.
JeremyB posted charts about this.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #3
from what ive seen of guys on this site using standard sn95 and mach1 coils, the bullits will get you quite a bit of drop in the front. im fairly positive they will be too low in the rear due to the differences in the chassis/weight. take a look at the spring info sticky, too.

i am running sn95 front struts on my car, and chucks adapters should get you setup for the rear shocks.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #4
I have Chuck's adapters ordered.

Reply #5
The bullit sway bars are hollow. Probably good in a way (very light) but they can and do break.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #6
Okay late model restoration supply doesnt have the Bullitt kit in stock and um they really have no idea of the interchangeability between our cars and the rest of the ford line up.

Any suggestions as to what I can get for a suspension. The cars first track appearance is June 7.

Does anyone know the length and diameter of the stock springs?

Reply #7
performancepartsinc.com sells that stuff
88 thunderbird, 306 ,E7 heads ported by me, explorer intake, 70mm professional products TB, 8.8 3.73 rear is finally in. 11" front brake upgrade. still need some stuff
some nice weather to work on stuff would be nice ^^^

Reply #8
yep, thats where i got my mach 1 suspension. similar to bullit but better.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #9
ask jim at ppi. he is a wealth of info.