Skip to main content
Topic: fiberglass cloth inside quarter skins (Read 859 times) previous topic - next topic

fiberglass cloth inside quarter skins

Hello-  i removed the carpet and sound deadening material from my trunk to look for rust.  Seems the 'project evolution' thread (inspirational as it is) has gotten me paranoid.  anyway,  there is a piece of fiberglass on the inside of each quarter skin.  It runs vertically from the top of the quarter skin to where the skin meets the wheel well.    exact same size and placement on each side.  there is NO bondo work on the outside of the panels in the area in question.  the sheet metal is one good solid piece on both sides except for needing a small patch near the mud flap.  does anyone else have these fiberglass pieces?  i'm stumped.  what purpose do they serve?

Reply #1
I *think* they're dampeners to keep the liners from vibrating and making noise.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #2
Mine has that as well.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
Of the four Tbirds I've ever had my grubby paws on, they've all had that strip in the trunk area, I'd think it's pretty common.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #4
i have them too!!!
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Reply #5
i ws guessing factory use mounts...... like lining the panel during assembly... or something like that.
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!