Skip to main content
Topic: Repairing my Bucket of rust. (Read 2559 times) previous topic - next topic

Repairing my Bucket of rust.

Hey every one, I was looking for advise/help on repairing the rust on my car on an other forum and daminc suggested I hang out here as well.

All though its not a Fox, its a 91 tbird. The floor boards need to be replaced and the outer rockers also. I think I have a good grasp on what I need to do but this will be my first major project like this with me doing most of the work alone. So I would love to hear any advise or wisdom you guys have.

I took 13 new photo's tonight from under the car, the Main rails I think are OK, the rear of the car might need some more work were the IRS is attached to. But that will give me a reason to beef that up anyway. Has any one taking the dash out of these cars? I can not get those vents that go under the seats removed with out the dash out. I have removed 4 (2 8mm and 2 10mm) on the top of the dash from behind trim panels, then 2 on each side near the doors (10mm i think) then two 8mm from the center on the tunnel. The only thing I have not done yet is disconnect the steering shaft because I need a longer extension. Could this be why? The dash is loose but I feel like there is something else in the middle still connected.

Here are the photo's as of date. I'll try to keep this updated with my progress.
http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii18/agutsechicken/?albumview=slideshow&newest=1

Reply #1
So how long was it parked waist deep in a lake? :D

Stuff like this makes me incredibly glad I live in a rustless state.

Reply #2
HAHA.... for about 3 years its been under water :) no actually its just been on the side of two different house's for the past 3 years. I lived in an apartment for 4 years so I couldn't do any work on it so it sat at my dad's until last year when I bought a house.

I have a 5.0 that actually came out of a 86 cougar that I will be putting in the 91 also. I really miss that cougar

Reply #3
Quote from: NoReflection;270843
So I would love to hear any advise or wisdom you guys have.

Get a Fox...:D

Good luck with the repairs. I am interested to see how it all goes. Parts shouldnt be too hard to find for you which should help. Hope it all goes well.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #4
yep, that looks familiar.
welcome aboard. we'll help you get things running smooth. Whether it's panel fixin of motor swapping, someone here will probably know the answer.
there's a bunch of ways to do sub frame connectors, which you may consider first as long as the floor is that bad.

Next I would see what parts you would need as far as replacements. You can go here and find out where you can locate some panels. just be sure to call before you go on your journey. sometimes the database doesn't get updated.
http://car-part.com/

If that doesn't pan out, post an add in the parts needed section. a lot of us go to the yards for fox parts. and the newer cars are there as well.

There's also a place in Canada near Toronto, that I wanted to check out. there supposed to have all kinds of cougar parts from 67 and up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #5
here's another one
http://www.automotix.net/partshotline-ford-thunderbird-quarter_panel-requests.html
or try to find one that was front ended
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #6
Welcome to the site dude. That right there is midwest rust, thank god mine isn't that bad. I wish you luck.

Reply #7
thanks guys I'll keep you posted

Reply #8
Thanks I'll Keep it updated. What are you meaning when you say sub frame connectors? I have a few Ideas but want to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

Reply #9
When they talk about subframe connectors they mean something that ties the front subframe to the rear subframe to solidify the entire car. This will improve its stiffness and remove the flex.

Reply #10
I was so worried about the strength of the car being compromised by rust and replacement panels, that I decided to install these after making them. I may have gone a little overboard, but no one will say that the frame gave out after repairing the rest. LOL

and as you can see in my sig. it works very well to support the weight of the car with out bending or flexing.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #11
I see. And you just welded that in place all down the line then?

what I circled from your pic, on mine it has rusted out and only the top floor board remains now.

Reply #12
if you look on my thread, You'll see that I replaced that too. Mine was gone also. ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #13
I was trying to look threw it. I know I saw where you installed those...after almost 200 pages it gets time consuming lol.

Reply #14
Here, this might be easier.There's more organization this way.
And there's also sub directories.
http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee79/daminc/
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook