Skip to main content
Topic: Exhaust questions (Read 1518 times) previous topic - next topic

Exhaust questions

I have been putting off getting the exhaust done because of all the smog requirements we have in California. I had Deltaflow 40's and the rear pipes redone so I could pass smog a few months ago. Recently I came up on a catted h-pipe from a totaled fox. And, when I install it I want to get headers as well.

So, here are my questions.
-The h-pipe has two hangers, but my car only has provisions for one. Is this going to be a problem.
-The h-pipe has an air tube that doesn't line up with my existing air tube. What is the best way to remedy that issue?
-I have an opportunity to get used BBK equal length shorties $150. Are there going to be any fitment issues? Otherwise, I can get stock Mustang shorties for $50.
-Who in their right mind designed the 2 to 1 to 2 exhaust profile on my car? Is that stock?

The current exhaust and AOD:

The Deltaflow 40's:

The BBK shorties with a small dent:

**Side note for BEARMAX** You asked in my first post about the rollback in my driveway. I didn't have a clue as to what you meant. Here in California we call them flatbeds. lol I run a tow company. And my neighbors love it when all the guys hang out at my house on the weekend and block the street with four trucks.
Lead me. Follow me. Or get the F#CK outta my way!

1988 Cougar
(the $360 beater)

Exhaust questions

Reply #1
The hangers shouldn't be a problem any expericed welder should be able to help you out,when i had my exhaust redone i got my pipes to come out in the front of my tires on both sides with nice tips  and the guy only charged me $100.00 (for labor and the exhaust tips)
yeah i know the passing smog over here sucks but it is nice to see another cougar enthusiast over here in ca.

I suggest you read this section from coolcats,it helped me out alot
http://www.coolcats.net/tech/advanced/50dualexhaust.html
331 stroker,rebuilt AOD,8.8 rear w/3.73 gears,dual exhaust..wallmart $20 flat back paint job :D

Exhaust questions

Reply #2
Holy smokes! That link answered ALL my exhaust questions. Thanks, bro

Imma go with the stock mustang shorties. I should have everything done by this weekend.

1988 Cougar
(the $360 beater)

Exhaust questions

Reply #3
Im curious to see the fitment of equal shorties to a normal h pipe.

My bbks are unequal length and bolted right to my mustang/ jegs h-pipe, wouldnt there be a gap with equals?

then again im an idiot so what do i know :mullet:
1988 T-Bird LX- Awaiting HO build, Monster "Eat My Shift" AOD rated 550Hp. BBK ceramic shorties, Jegs mustang (catless) H-Pipe. mustang catback modified axle back for tbird, 94 17" Cobra wheels, 98 'Stang GT 8.8 Traction-lock

Exhaust questions

Reply #4
I have a question for you. Your T-Bird looks like it's set up like mine, do you have a colum shift or a floor shifter? Mine is just a base model and has the colum shift. When I was installing my headers, the first set came from a mark V11, they'd be the same as factory mustang headers. Once on, the shift linkage was right under the , meaning I couldn't hook a pipe up to it. I tried a set of BBk's and they worked, but now they're rusty and I show my car, so can't have that. I have a set of ceramic coated ones that I'm going to try now.

Exhaust questions

Reply #5
I used a set of factory Mustang/Mark VII headers on my car with the old SO engine and column shift. They fit fine.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Exhaust questions

Reply #6
I ended up going to Super Shops in El Cajon and buying a set of MAC shorties for $159 plus tax, which I paid in full. The Manager kept the shop open late for me, which was real cool. This place is a good 20 miles from my office, and 40 miles from my house. They were supposed to arrive last Friday, May 8th. Well, Friday has come and gone. On Monday, I called them and got the run-around from some guy; the manager not being available.

I've called them each day this week. Strangely, no one knows anything, or they simply don't pick up the phone. I felt like they were avoiding me. Today, I used my company cell phone and got the manager on the horn. He finally gives me the skinny: The headers are on backorder. GREAT! However, he is upgrading me to ceramic coated MACs for the inconvenience.

Bottom line, I'm getting ceramic coated MAC shorties for $175.59. Delivery date unknown.

1988 Cougar
(the $360 beater)

Exhaust questions

Reply #7
If you bought that hpipe from craigslist it may have been ther one i was going to buy i think the guy wanted 125?
anyway i recognize those dented bbk's on CL haha
keep us updated
331 stroker,rebuilt AOD,8.8 rear w/3.73 gears,dual exhaust..wallmart $20 flat back paint job :D

Exhaust questions

Reply #8
Quote from: 1Bad88tbird;271042
I have a question for you. Your T-Bird looks like it's set up like mine, do you have a colum shift or a floor shifter? Mine is just a base model and has the colum shift. When I was installing my headers, the first set came from a mark V11, they'd be the same as factory mustang headers. Once on, the shift linkage was right under the , meaning I couldn't hook a pipe up to it. I tried a set of BBk's and they worked, but now they're rusty and I show my car, so can't have that. I have a set of ceramic coated ones that I'm going to try now.

that doesnt make any sense i used stock headers off of a mustang and they fit fine on my dads and my old t-bird with column shift no problems also ran a or h-pipe.

Exhaust questions

Reply #9
So here's what finally happened:

After a month of this guys song and dance, I finally get my headers; which he delivers to my work this past Friday evening. Were they the ceramic MAC shorties he agreed to upgrade my order? No. Were they even MAC shorties? No. They are some no name shorties that he probably got off ebay. SCREW IT. I took my headers and will never deal with that place ever again.

I installed the headers, and factory hpipe. But, things don't quite line up underneath. The hpipe rubs the tranny pan, we are talking direct contact. The column shifter doesn't like the new setup either. I had to reroute the linkages. I need s put on the flowmasters so they can bolt up to the hpipe.

My solution, My guy is going to reshape the hpipe to fit without tranny contact. And he will put s on the flowmasters so the can bolt up to the hpipe. I ordered a B&M Hammer shifter with the AOD kit.

When I get my car back from the shop, I'll post pics. Until then, enjoy this cam/phone video of my Cougar running headers and hpipe, with no lers.

My mom came over to hear it. Her words exactly, "She sounds righteous." I wish I didn't have to reinstall the lers.

1988 Cougar
(the $360 beater)

Exhaust questions

Reply #10
Looks like you need some gas:hick: But seriously, that vid reminds me of when I first got my last cougar.......Got the stock stang headers, no name h pipe, got both bolted up, (struggled with the column shift linkage.....a lot) didn't have enough money for lers/tailpipes so I would run just the headers and the h pipe, man do I miss it......:mad:
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Exhaust questions

Reply #11
Quote from: sirius;276575

he will put s on the flowmasters so the can bolt up to the hpipe.

i cut the s off my H pipe and used a standard 2.5" connector with clamps to connect the lers to the h pipe.