Skip to main content
Topic: New car... (Read 3712 times) previous topic - next topic

New car...

Well, I sold my Supercoupe earlier this month and i bought a minivan so my wife could carpool to work.  After having to basically unbolt the torque struts and rotate the engine forward for even the simplest maintnence work I decided it wasnt for me, so I sold it and bought this...

Its an 87 Fiero with a 2.5 and 177k miles on it.  Looks like  but it runs decent.  Well the very next morning I hopped on to the internet and did my daily Cougar and Thunderbird searches like I have almost everyday for the last 10 years and I come across a 84 Cougar that I could have bought if I wouldnt have just bought this py Fiero the night before.  What kind of luck is that, the very day after I buy a car that I had to settle for, something I really want pops up.  So...

So I bought it anyway...

Under those blue wooly mammoth seat covers are perfect seats.  And after pulling off the curb feelers, its pretty nice.  :-)
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

New car...

Reply #1
Congrats!! I was reading your tale of woe and feeling your pain. I love a surprise ending, especially when it is a happy surprise. I will be the first to cast my vote for you changing your ID to Loaded84Cougar. lol. Congrats again!!
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

New car...

Reply #2
nice cougar

New car...

Reply #3
Nice buys. You know that Cougar is a beautifully kept example! As for the Fiero I have to say I always wanted one to throw a 3800 Supercharged in.

New car...

Reply #4
Thanks guys!  Yeah the Cougar is very clean.  Some old guy had it in storage for alot of years.  The guy I bought it from said it has 140k on it but with the condition of the car im thinking its actually 40k.  The Fiero is pretty fun, kind of like driving a go kart.  And of course the Supercharged 3800 instantly crossed my mind too, but I think I am just going to leave it as is for now.  If anything I have an extra turbo in great condition laying around...

The best part is my wife said I can keep both cars!  She is the greatest!  It also doesnt hurt that her first car was an 86 Cougar ;-)
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

New car...

Reply #5
Cool.  Geniune Cookie Monster-skin seat covers!

Not a fan of the Fiero though...never was.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

New car...

Reply #7
Nice find on the Cougar, it looks like it's in nice shape. :cool:
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

New car...

Reply #8
put a Quad 4 W41 in that fiero and let 'er scream

New car...

Reply #9
Cat looks mint man!!!!!! Saaawweeeeeeeeeeettt!!!!!
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

New car...

Reply #11
Congratulations! I like the setup of this story and i'm glad you ended up buying the cat! We need more people with snappy decisions like that on here.

New car...

Reply #12
Sweet cars, and an awesome story. Got any plans for the Coug?

Quote from: baxo;270045
Congratulations! I like the setup of this story and i'm glad you ended up buying the cat! We need more people with snappy decisions like that on here.

That's how I was when I saw the Sport, Wasn't even looking to buy another car, but when I saw it, I knew I'd always regret not getting it. Now parts are scattered all over my shop..nothing says obsessed like buying a perfectly good, running car, and making it into a pile of parts. (Granted, it's slowlllly getting put back together, with a few improvements ;))
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

New car...

Reply #13
Quote from: FordTruckFreeek;270064
Sweet cars, and an awesome story. Got any plans for the Coug?

That's how I was when I saw the Sport, Wasn't even looking to buy another car, but when I saw it, I knew I'd always regret not getting it. Now parts are scattered all over my shop..nothing says obsessed like buying a perfectly good, running car, and making it into a pile of parts. (Granted, it's slowlllly getting put back together, with a few improvements ;))

that's exactly the situation with my Convertible ;)

New car...

Reply #14
Quote from: Grumbles;270037
put a Quad 4 W41 in that fiero and let 'er scream

[SIZE="7"]WAT?:wtf:[/SIZE]