Skip to main content
Topic: Operation: X Marks the Spot - Has Begun (Read 1555 times) previous topic - next topic

Operation: X Marks the Spot - Has Begun

Scroll down for Operation X

I was just so excited, I had to share it with the world.

I am now a proud Ontario School Bus Driver.

So, I've got this two month window where I can take Cougar X off the road and do some serious work.

This will be my little thread on the board.  I've been having problems with my own site (you may as well ignore the description on the homepage)... but I'd like to have a place to keep a 'journey' of my Cougars and to share it with the world (and ask the world for help!)... this seemed perfect.  :)

As soon as Tax Season is over, and it's coming... oooooooh....
The weather's warm... and warming up...
As soon as the household electrical work is done...
As soon as that ed snow blower is good to go for next season (it's the least I can do for monopolizing the garage)...

It's COUGAR TIME!    !!YeY!! :hick::D:hick::D:)

Too bad about CJ09 this year... we had a serious shot last year and when we didn't make it, I kinda had that inckling that it wouldn't be until CJ10 or CJ11.  :(

I celebrated CJ08 by buying and installing a tripminder for X.
This year, I'll celebrate too... don't know what I'm going to do yet... :hick:

But this is where the answer will be.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Operation: X Marks the Spot
5.0L SEFI, AOD, 8.8" 3.02 TracLok - All Stock

Reply #1
Congrats on the new job. There ain't enough money in the school board budget to convince me to drive one of those things. Nothing against the job, just my nerves wouldn't handle it. I'd probably end up in jail for tossing unruly kids out the windows while driving :hick:
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;269746
Congrats on the new job.
Thank-you! :)
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;269746
There ain't enough money in the school board budget to convince me to drive one of those things. Nothing against the job, just my nerves wouldn't handle it. I'd probably end up in jail for tossing unruly kids out the windows while driving :hick:
lol, I understand man.  IMHO, driving a school bus is among the most under-appreciated, not unionized, difficult jobs there is out there.  There are so many variables!  But I believe it is the balance I've been searching for in my professional life.  I'm a good driver, good with kids, and yes, I'm Grace under pressure... I can thank my military training for that. :hick:  And you know what?  It's fun.

I don't have kids of my own, but it's funny... these are my kids...

so after that mushy bit..... Go COUGAR go!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #3
Well we all know that your bus isn't modified. It says it's STOCK :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #4
Quote from: thunderjet302;269769
Well we all know that your bus isn't modified. It says it's STOCK :hick:

LMFAO....:rollin:!

Congrats Lou, You're the first!
I was wondering when someone would make the joke... lol.  It is a family name (not mine, the founders, lol).  Too bad I can't mod the bus... man, I could be Otto from the Simpsons!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Work Begins...

Reply #5
Well... finally... I've started some much needed work.
Here's the before:

I had originally started this job, just to do the heads, water pump, exhaust manifolds, etc. but decided do go the whole nine yards and pull the motor and tranny.  I mean, look at how bad the grunge is:

Eeek!

Plus, I've got a rebuilt AOD sitting in Cougar A.  So my head job now is looking like this :evilgrin:

Although this would have been an ideal time to do the H.O. conversion, it's not gonna happen yet.  For various reasons such as, I'd have to do more homework and spend more money and take more time than I currently have.  Plus, I am still having rear end issues (I'll be swapping the dif out in September when I get the bus back).

Now I can get in there and CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN... and CLEAN.  Oh and then some more cleaning.  Then I'll finish up with more cleaning.  Then clean some more.  :hick:

I'll also be bringing Cougar A back up to the garage to pull the tranny and some other options (more on that to come later).

Someday I'll put in a standard tranny.

This torque converter is a nice blue colour.  Every other tourque converter that I've pulled from these cars has never looked as nice.  Why is that I wonder.

And now I am already to mount the block to the stand.

Then I realized that I had no bolts that would fit to mount the block to the stand.  The bellhousing bolts just weren't long enough.  So, off to NAPA.

I'll keep you posted... and am sure to be seeking assistance as this is technially my first engine rebuild.

Cheers!

*Edit:  Here we go, with the proper bolts!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #6
OOOOOOOOO looks like fun!!!!!!! already cant wait to see how it turns out!!!!
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Reply #7
What is all that black stuff? :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #8
If you're doing a rebuild,do the H.O conversion.A cam,injectors and computer is really cheap,and it'll be done.If you do it later,more gaskets,more time,etc.Just spend the hundred bucks or so for the parts and make it happen.You'll wish you did if you don't do it now,and you'll be glad you did if you do.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #9
Yeah, what V-man said...no sense in doing all that stuff twice.
You're there now, and HO cams go for pretty cheap if you just look around...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #10
But doing the HO swap, doesn't it involve replacing the heads?  Aren't the HO heads different from the SO?  Somehting about E7?
I would also need the bigger fuel injectors, fuel pump, etc... the price keeps going up.....

I've been reading up on the conversion process here and it seems I need more than what I already have.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #11
At least he brought the chips!!
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #12
haha i did see that bowl of chips!
looks like a good project to keep ya busy but i agree with everyone else, if you already got everything out and apart why not just go ahead and do the swap? Its gonna cost you the same either if you do it now or if you do it a year from now. no since it doing the same work twice. Most times if you can find a mustang guy who has just put a cam in his car you can get the HO cam for next to nothing. Good luck!
1971 Camaro Blown 640ci
1988 T-Top Mustang
1980 Mustang coupe
1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe
And a purple mini van! :burnout:

Previous Thunderbirds:
1988 Sport

Reply #13
-just a guess here.... but blue coverter = reman unit.....
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

Reply #14
Price should not be an issue with an HO conversion...look on ebay and you can do it super cheap.  Didn't even spend $350ish on mine.