Skip to main content
Topic: Anyone had an aluminum driveshaft made for their car? (Read 860 times) previous topic - next topic

Anyone had an aluminum driveshaft made for their car?

My 88 t-bird should have a 49" driveshaft but i'll have to confirm that. The local junkyard gets $11 for an aluminum driveshaft and they have many out of Aerostars that are 59" in length. I'm thinking about getting one and paying to have it cut and rebalanced. Anyone have experiences with doing this?

Reply #1
I have looked into that personally.  Shouldnt be too expensive to have a shop cut and rebalance it for you... some may just machine it to xxx diminsion

Reply #2
The last time one of the guys in our local club needed an aluminum shaft, I called up one of my buddies who knew a shop that could do it...I think it ran him around $200...expect prices to vary.

Good luck,
Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads