Skip to main content
Topic: 3.8l stalling when shifts!!!! 88 merc,.... (Read 2320 times) previous topic - next topic

3.8l stalling when shifts!!!! 88 merc,....

Okay guys, My girls 88 has benn running on the hot side for a couple months, and i cant figure it out,....
Heres what ive done so far,....
New water pump
New spark plugs
New thermostat<<compression test
test results
Istarted from the front driver side,(soryy i dint look up the actual #)
 (After three turnovers)
120lbs    135lbs  <<150lbs    130lbs
150lbs    150lbs
Im thinking since the car has 158k ont the clock, that first cyilinder gasket's about to go,......i dont need to add coolant that often, but im thinking that first cylinder is leaking into the coolant causing the car to run hot,
 Another thing, if i take it real easy on the car, it stays by the "R" in normal, but highway or passing someone, will get to the edge of Hot zone,.....(when this gets clsoe i stop the car and turn it off for a bit)
Let me know what you think it could be,..... all aspects and op.'s appreciated....

P.S., fan clutch is good......
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Reply #1
sounds like you have air the the system or your head gaskets are bad.
84 el camino ss-daily driver(efi mild sbc,2004r, posi 3:42 rear.)
84 mercury cougar v6- was a v6/ nitrous drag car, going back to mostly stock
81 chevy malibu-protouring/  drag car.( efi sbc supercharged 283 that will rev to the moon, 2004r, 4:11 posi rear)

Reply #2
yeah, i checked the rad, over and over, let it run from bone cold to normal, but i didnt get any bubbles from the rad????????? just when it got up to temp, more fluid came out,.......let it cool looked in rad had low fluid ,so i filled it again..... noticed afterward, small amount of coolant leaking from overflow jug,......????????? IDK
[/IMG]

Reply #3
bad headgasket for sure....mine did the same thing:punchballs:

Reply #4
:punchballs::punchballs::punchballs::punchballs::punchballs::punchballs::punchballs:
[/IMG]

Reply #5
Head gasket is screwed....
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #6
didn't you have the same problem on your 5.0 as well?

Reply #7
Is it running lean?

Reply #8
The 5.0 had burnt valves, my old 93 had blown both before, so if i can change that one in a day, i can do this one faster,..... and yes, i  think it is running lean, my next steps are fuel filter and then pump, it squeals sometimes.........And has a hard time shifting when theres less than half a tank,...(almost stalls between shifts)
[/IMG]

Reply #9
you didnt happen to check to see if your cooling system was clogging up? original rad. cap? milky  on the oil cap?
the last time i saw red (not that headgasket fix junk) on a thermostat was from the cooling system on my dads truck being full or rust.
was the sparkplug for the weak cyl. wet when you pulled it?
you sure the fan clutch is good, did you take the spring off and rotate it counterclockwise and then drive the car to see if theres a difference or did you just get it up to temp and spin the fan by hand?
i dont know about the FI ones but the CFI ones i had ran hot and lean when the EFE valve acted up, from a million different reasons at that:punchballs:
 i wouldnt just assume the headgaskets blown from what ive read here
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible
2015 Ford Focus SE 1.0 EcoBoost

Reply #10
original everything!!! lol but slight milkyness in the coolant but no reddish color anywhere else,.... ill flush it tomarrow... by the way ive always liked to use water inn the summer, but other people tell me to 50/50 it... is there a difference?????
But what should i make of the comp. test results????? that one cylinder is pretty low compared to the rest.....
[/IMG]

Reply #11
I think you should always run some coolant.  I think it has pump lube in it as well as rust inhibitors.  I think you can buy an additive and run straight water.  A few people run water + Water Wetter.  Just don't forget you have water in there come winter.

Also, using distilled water is a good idea.  Tap can calcify the radiator (depending on hardness).

As for the compression test.  You can do a couple things.  The easiest is probably a leakdown test.  This is basically where you turn the engine till both valves are closed.  Then apply compressed air through the spark plug.  Then you listen for leaking.  Hearing air in the intake = Intake valve, hearing air in the exhaust = exhaust valve, air through the oil cap = rings. 

I have seen this done once, and it didn't work so well.  I think the cyl has to be in pretty bad shape for this to be apparent.

The other thing you can try is re-torque the head and see if it improves.

Lean running can cause excessive heating.

Reply #12
Quote from: massCougarxr7;269582
by the way ive always liked to use water inn the summer, but other people tell me to 50/50 it... is there a difference?????
QUOTE]

you shouldnt be driving ,,:rollin:

compare the boiling point of water to the boiling point of anti-freeze / "coolant"

compression says your rings are wearing,, not to shabby though.
or
headgaskets "could" need changed.

Buy a fan clutch and you will see the fix instantly.

as for the water thing,, stop doing that.  You could remove the tstat as a temporary means to not blow a hose.  You live in a pretty cooler temp area so it wont hurt anything for now.

discoloration in the coolant would tell me to be prepared to swap headgaskets soon as preventative maint.

If there is a slight but alway steamy look to your exhaust, you are probabably burning coolant.

looking at your plugs will tell the tale on the low cyl comp numbers.

Reply #13
Well all the plugs probes in the middle were melted down on one side and one plug was two pieces, the inner moved around separate from the outer, the car has been runn ing okay since i chaged the plugs,.... they also had a little bit of white residue on them but not heavily,..... im going to flush it tomarrow, forgot i had to work today,.... and thanks for clearing that up,..... i wont be using water,.,. cause the tap over hereis pretty hard water,........last summer i left the coolant in it.....
And like i said,,,,, the car had about 160k on the clock,.,.,. and with a 19 yo girl driving it,,.... id bet the head gaskests are going.......  i need to get going on my h.o................ im short on time,... trying to get this welding job,.,., while i alredy gave my boss my two weeks......... ggrrrrrrr
[/IMG]

Reply #14
Have you looked at the oil yet? If it looks like a milkshake it's the head gaskets.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.