Skip to main content
Topic: e303 or tfs stage1? (Read 4770 times) previous topic - next topic

e303 or tfs stage1?

hey everyone,

i've already got gt40 heads and im stuck between these two cams..
which works better for my combo?I see alot of guys have use a e303
so i hope to get some info

things to consider:
weekend car..but at the same time i REALLY want to beat my friends 2000 camaro with the ls1 (315 bhp,1/4 13.202 secs) he just talks to much shiznit.. and i know the bar is up kinda high but yeah

i noticed the setup i've aspoogeulated resembles a 93 cobra with the exception of maf (for bigger cam ) is there anything else i can do to squeeze some more power out of my 302 without a supercharger .etc?

thanks in advance :bowdown:
331 stroker,rebuilt AOD,8.8 rear w/3.73 gears,dual exhaust..wallmart $20 flat back paint job :D

e303 or tfs stage1?

Reply #1
With either cam,you'll need to upgrade to Mass Air.I have an E303,and it loves the higher rpm's.I really like it.I can't speak for the TFS cam,I have never used one.Are you using the stock short block from the Cougar?If so,the pistons are really going to limit your cam options since stock pistons don't have valve reliefs.Swap in a new set of pistons,and then get crazy.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

e303 or tfs stage1?

Reply #2
This is an AOD car I assume? 
If so both of those cam choices are going to make power way after the AOD has shifted unless you do something to remedy that situation....a torque concerter is gonna be a must with either of those as well.  Think turbo lag if you keep the stock converter.

What cam are you running now?
Done any suspension work yet?
I see H-pipe in your sig under the coming soon list....What's your current exhaust situation?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

e303 or tfs stage1?

Reply #3
Neither cam:hick: They really are not that good of a cam choice. Plus with GT40 iron heads and a GT40 intake you won't be out running a LS1 Camaro. Trust me ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

e303 or tfs stage1?

Reply #4
Plus with GT40 iron heads and a GT40 intake you won't be out running a LS1 Camaro. Trust me

That depends on a LOT of things....It CAN be done.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

e303 or tfs stage1?

Reply #5
The Stage-1 TF cam is designed specifically for the Trick Flow heads and is a good choice for those... How it'd run with GT40 heads vs a "E" I dunno, but I'd go with the TF(maybe I'm biased cause it's the cam I run)... Now unless you stick at least a 3000 stall converter in it, you ain't gonna have a chance in Hell of running with the Chevy...

My engine is similar to what you are building, but does use TF heads... In good air, when the motor was still fairly fresh, I've run
13.11 @ 105... That was with 2600 stall converter, a 3400-3600 should knock another tenth and a half off that time...

BTW my car is a full weight fat girl, has AC and all the goodies still in place, putting yours on a diet would surely help your cause...

e303 or tfs stage1?

Reply #6
I have to upgrade my pistons i was thinking Keith Black or TRW for that...

i've got the AOD i will eventually convert to borg warner T-5,i saw one locally for $100,i hadn't even thought about the torque converter-

also i really should have clairified in my sig that the parts i listed are acspoogeulated in my garage,and the only mods that i have done are the ones i could do myself like the air induction and  throttle body and spacer upgrades,i know lame,i know

i did however get my 8.8 and quad shocks installed(HUGE difference)
my exhaust system is a product of impatience,i wanted it to sound nice and i wanted it 4 cheap, sooo i bought a y-pipe and split the pipes where my ler used to be..haha  nice!

well if i dont beat my buddy its ok,maybe someday i'll get afr's and a supercharger and dust him... until then i'll be content with my setup
331 stroker,rebuilt AOD,8.8 rear w/3.73 gears,dual exhaust..wallmart $20 flat back paint job :D

e303 or tfs stage1?

Reply #7
Check out sbf tech. There's alot of guys with relatively cheap combo's running really good times without any power adder.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

e303 or tfs stage1?

Reply #8
I have the e303 cam with gt-40 heads and Camaros only see my taillights, but of course I have two turbos and 8 to 1 forged pistons as well as forged h-beam rods. Only two things that hold me back now are my fuel system and the stock block may split. I dont even have my gt-40 upper and lower intake on the engine yet.
 :burnout:

e303 or tfs stage1?

Reply #9
Quote from: V8Demon;267422
That depends on a LOT of things....It CAN be done.

Oh I know it can be done. It meant that it's going to be very hard to do with just GT40 irons, a GT40 intake, and a E303 or TF Stage 1;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

e303 or tfs stage1?

Reply #10
I say sell the gt-40's and get yourself a good used pair of Alum heads (edelbrock, trickflow)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

e303 or tfs stage1?

Reply #11
how well does your car run with your current setup?

your sig says "gt40 heads w/1.6rr,gt40 manifolds,65mm throttle body,bbk fenderwell induction,custom exhaust,mass air meter(not hooked up)"

i have the 65mm tb, fenderwell CAI (although mine is custom), and stock mustang headers and my car is already starting to not idle right...
Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

e303 or tfs stage1?

Reply #12
The E303 is nice if you get one cheap but if you must buy new get the TFS1 i wish i had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

e303 or tfs stage1?

Reply #13
i have gt40 irons and tfs-1 cam love it also have a bit of stall in her maybe 2600 but let me add. before i put those heads on i did mill them and the cam did lika the compression (10:1)