Skip to main content
Topic: 88 T-bird tail light lens/housing seperation? (Read 939 times) previous topic - next topic

88 T-bird tail light lens/housing seperation?

My tail light lens have separated from the housings. The ones I saw in the junk yard on another 88 were the same way. Is this common and what is the remedy? Must be some kind of dum dum or epoxy to but them back together

Reply #1
It's actually quite common. There are several metal clips around the housing that are supposed to grip the lens, and there's a dum dum like substance that's supposed to seal it. Neither work very well. When I put mine back together I cleaned all the dum-dum out and put a 5/16" bead of black caulking (not silicone) around, then bent the tabs on those metal clips so they'd bite better, then put the lenses back on.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
You could try asking a glass shop if they would stick them back together with some windshield urethane.  strong stuff, but don't get any on your fingers... it'll take a week to get rid of the stains.

Here's a drawing of the clips I made a few years ago...
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #3
you can buy windsheild adheasive at checker or orileys. Its thick and black.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #4
I would use a strong adhesive,but one that can be taken apart again as a just in case.Sometimes these lights fill with dust,and the only way to fix it is to disassemble them.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..