Skip to main content
Topic: 08 exploder (Read 2234 times) previous topic - next topic

08 exploder

Took my truck in for maint.

Guy did the 20k mile inspecton thing, oil change ect.

He told me my rotor were shot. I looked and yeah they could use a turning.  I asked how come this is happening so fast?

He told me now a days the pads are pretty much harder than the rotor steel as the rotors are softer metal than they use to be.

what junk.

Steering wheel is shaking now during brake applied , now ai know why.  Also my pass rotor is getting hotter than my driver side. With ABS, it could b ea number of things.  I couldnt imagine the interior of the caliper hose breaking down already preventing fluid from bleeding back when no brake applied.

Looks like a heafty brake job for someone soon.

08 exploder

Reply #1
Wow, all that on the 20k maintenance? Where's the quality control there........
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

08 exploder

Reply #2
My wifes '06 Mariner has almost 80k and all original brake parts.  So maybe it has something to do with your driving style or driving conditions?

Edit:  Not trying to be a dick just pointing out that our vehicle's brakes have been great for us.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

08 exploder

Reply #3
Quote from: 50tbrd88;266801
My wifes '06 Mariner has almost 80k and all original brake parts.  So maybe it has something to do with your driving style or driving conditions?

Gotta watch those brake checks....:mullet:
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

08 exploder

Reply #4
Brakes are a huge source of problems for all manufacturers. They're making them smaller to save weight (and money), and they're using materials that have poor wear qualities but are silent. Seems (and my dealership experience supports this) that people would rather have quiet brakes than sturdy brakes. Put a pad that'll last forever on and the customer will complain at the noise. Put one that is quiet on and the customer will not complain... for another 20k miles or so.

Not only that, but people are demanding race car brakes on everything. There is absolutely no need for rear disc brakes on 99% of the cars on the road, especially FWD cars. They are more expensive and far more troublesome. They rust because they hardly do any work. Calipers seize because nobody uses their park brake. Drums, on the other hand, were simple, effective, and trouble free. Yet show a car magazine a car with rear drums, any car, even the cheapest of econopoopsters, and they deride them. It's one of those things that everyone needs rear disc brakes because everyone is telling them they do...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

08 exploder

Reply #5
Brakes are just like anything else its all about the money! Yeah you don't needs those super duper brake pads but that super hot chick tells me how awesome they are and that gives me the idea that if I get those brake pads I'll get a hot smart chick like that. Yes the regular ones would work fine but then I might have to get up and clean those wheels off and get dirty while actually WORKING. Never know while I'm down there cleaning up the dust from those non-rotor eating brake pads I might actually look inside those holes in the wheels and see I'm getting close to needing new ones before they grind a groove in my now fine rotor!  So you make your choice pay more for those top of the line ceramic pads along with a set of rotors every they make a noise or you can opt for the RACE BRAKE PADS that are super hard that will eat your rotors even faster and make you clean up more dust than ever before! Or you can come to your senses and put on some regular old semi mettalics or organic pads still clean your wheels and as long as you don't ride the brakes or makes brake check stops regularly your rotors will be just fine, and all this  for half the price of less than the so called top of the line pads or those RACE PADS!

As for your brake troubles at that few miles I tell you that sounds like those calipers were sticking or even the pins were bent or corroded.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

08 exploder

Reply #6
i dont own the truck,, just pointing out the dealer mentioned the rotors are now made with softer steel and the pads are more agressive.

The rotors are not shot,, just heavily grooved to a point I know next go into the shop and they need turned.

The Dealer said they pretty much put up thier rotor turning machines,, they just put new ones on.

08 exploder

Reply #7
Yes, we stopped turning rotors as well, because it's only a temporary repair and actually makes the situation worse (not to mention new rotors are so cheap it's hardly worth the bother anymore). The rotors warp because there's not enough metal in them to dissipate heat. Taking some metal off is the exact opposite of what needs to be done.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

08 exploder

Reply #8
The quality of the rotor material must have gone down since the current generation Exlporer has been on the market. My 2002 Explorer has 143,000 miles on it and it's on it's third set of front pads and second set of rear pads but all four rotors are original. I do understand WV is probably harder on brakes than MI though.

Quote from: Thunder Chicken;266804
There is absolutely no need for rear disc brakes on 99% of the cars on the road, especially FWD cars. They are more expensive and far more troublesome.

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but the 4th generation (2000-2007)Taurus/Sable sedan had drums on the rear with no disc option, and the wagon versions were rear disc only. I asked a Ford engineer friend of mine that told me that due to the extra passenger capacity of the wagon, the drums would not meet the governments brake standards and therefore required the rear discs.
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

08 exploder

Reply #9
Quote from: jcassity;266798
Took my truck in for maint.

Guy did the 20k mile inspecton thing, oil change ect.

He told me my rotor were shot. I looked and yeah they could use a turning.  I asked how come this is happening so fast?

He told me now a days the pads are pretty much harder than the rotor steel as the rotors are softer metal than they use to be.

what junk.

Steering wheel is shaking now during brake applied , now ai know why.  Also my pass rotor is getting hotter than my driver side. With ABS, it could b ea number of things.  I couldnt imagine the interior of the caliper hose breaking down already preventing fluid from bleeding back when no brake applied.

Looks like a heafty brake job for someone soon.

My Mazda6 rotors warped after 11k miles.  It was common.  That car was fun, but cheaply made.

08 exploder

Reply #10
if you live in the rust belt you need to watch the pads seizing in the brackets, i have that problem in alot of the vehicles i work on at the ford dealer.

08 exploder

Reply #11
it would be nice if our cars had hub assemblys.  I suppose if they did , it would take all the fun out of rotor work.

08 exploder

Reply #12
Quote from: jcassity;266871
it would be nice if our cars had hub assemblys.  I suppose if they did , it would take all the fun out of rotor work.

No thanks you can take your idea of the same $8.00 bearings you have now and make them into a hub so you can't grease or replace them without buying the whole unit and Keep it. I'll play with some grease and get a little dirty and save my wallet from the pain of throw away parts.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

08 exploder

Reply #13
I like the whole wheel falling off rather then it getting alittle bit noisey to let you know to replace it. I dont know about you.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

08 exploder

Reply #14
Quote from: ipsd;266885
No thanks you can take your idea of the same $8.00 bearings you have now and make them into a hub so you can't grease or replace them without buying the whole unit and Keep it. I'll play with some grease and get a little dirty and save my wallet from the pain of throw away parts.

My wife's 2000 Cougar had to have BOTH front wheel bearings replaced about a year ago.  The parts were not cheap.  A fully bolted wheel moved as if I had removed the lug nuts and were trying to wiggle it off the studs....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!