Skip to main content
Topic: Brakes are overrated LOL. (Read 1875 times) previous topic - next topic

Brakes are overrated LOL.

The brake pedal has been feeling really "off" lately, and I KNEW I needed to do the brakes soon, (just couldnt afford to yet, and was planning to convert to 5 bolt anyways....) But I sold a few parts and decided I had enough of the  brakes and got everything to do the job front and back. this is how they were:

And this is how it sits now, I got this far and found out the drivers side caliper is seized, so I have to wait til tomorrow to go up and get a new pair.  It will have new, calipers, rotors, bearings, pads, drums, shoes, and hardware kit.  Hopefully the wheel cylinders are fine, but if not then I will throw those in too.  cars LOL.

Reply #1
Yikes! I thought mine looked bad after sitting for a couple years.... not so much after the before pics.

The good news is the calipers are cheap. Be careful if you get new hoses, one of the ones I got from O'Reillys had an incorrect fitting at the hard line junction even though the boxes were identical.

Reply #2
RJ, I'm shocked!

Not at the old brakes...but the fact that you actually BOUGHT new ones instead of trade somebody something for them LOL.

Reply #3
Dam man,for all the dough ya spent on new brakes ya could have bought some good 5lug stuff.
O well guess ya need to stop for the time being lol.
On a side note,seen your old capri today in my complex,looking good and soundin good.
Kid must have just takin it out of winter storage.
You should have kept that car man.

Reply #4
Quote from: dominator;266777
Dam man,for all the dough ya spent on new brakes ya could have bought some good 5lug stuff.
O well guess ya need to stop for the time being lol.
On a side note,seen your old capri today in my complex,looking good and soundin good.
Kid must have just takin it out of winter storage.
You should have kept that car man.

Gee thanks Eric, LOL  As Vinnie says, when you are on a tight budget, you do what you can with what you have.:mullet:

hahah only problem is then my car would be sitting on jack stands til I could afford new rims and tires....:hick:  and actually for EVERYTHING, (minus the calipers I will get that price tomorrow) it only came to $220  and with my pedal nearly at the floor just to slow down, I figured it was time...  cant wait to see what the back brakes look like...  Believe it or not the pedal still felt fine though, no viberations at all...

Yeah I miss that capri.. :punchballs::toilet:the kid has been trying to sell me his rotted out SC bought I didnt go for it. He dynoed that car last year and it put down 336rwhp and 412lbft!  It ran 107MPH coasting through the traps in the quarter, after blowing 5th too, LOL.

No wonder it felt like an animal!

Reply #5
What sort of upgrades did that capri have?

I wish I would have taken the picture of my 86 cougar in my avatar, when it didn't have a front brake rotor. Hub was still there.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #6
Just think, mine were new three years ago and now they look pretty much like your "before" picture, with less than 10 miles on them, and having spent most of that time inside. ed salt air...

Jeebus, those 10" brakes look tiny!
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #7
, I never even thought till it was mentioned in someone elses thread....  should have done the 11" upgrade, I have everything I need here....  STUPID. LOL.

Ah well, Like I said I plan to do a 5 bolt conversion this summer with a nice set of rims so, hopefully I find a job soon to pay for it. :hick:

Should be interesting to see how these brakes do, (or dont do) on the road course this year against some buddies and there Stangs. LOL

Reply #8
how was the spindal?

I got rid of my torx caliper bolts years ago for allen head.  Much easier to take off.

Reply #9
That's scary right there.  The rust is so bad its literally eating (corrosion) the rotor outside in.  i thought i pulled a bad set of rotors on my bird.  I had cracks, waves, and even friction material.  the cracks were severe.  it actually makes me check my brake rotors every oil change just for that fact.  i wonder if you could put zmax in a spray bottle and mist the rotor fins.  congrats on some work that came out well!!

I say who needs rotors when you have a gear that you can downshift to...  i save brakes and keep them from over heating by using engine drag.  but i dont hang the car on the engine, i do use brakes but i dont "squeeze" the pedal as firm while downshifting.  if you drove the car with the brakes like that... i suppose you have a 5spd (sig confirms) and downshift a lot?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

Reply #10
Quote from: jcassity;266962
how was the spindal?

I got rid of my torx caliper bolts years ago for allen head.  Much easier to take off.

The spindels where perfect, and the caliper bolts came out fine, only busted one knuckle lossening them. LOL.

Quote from: ~AC;266967
That's scary right there.  The rust is so bad its literally eating (corrosion) the rotor outside in.  i thought i pulled a bad set of rotors on my bird.  I had cracks, waves, and even friction material.  the cracks were severe.  it actually makes me check my brake rotors every oil change just for that fact.  i wonder if you could put zmax in a spray bottle and mist the rotor fins.  congrats on some work that came out well!!

I say who needs rotors when you have a gear that you can downshift to...  i save brakes and keep them from over heating by using engine drag.  but i dont hang the car on the engine, i do use brakes but i dont "squeeze" the pedal as firm while downshifting.  if you drove the car with the brakes like that... i suppose you have a 5spd (sig confirms) and downshift a lot?

AC, they arent as bad as they look in the pics....  ok maybe, but the reasson for the grooves on teh back of the one rotor was a seized caliper.  I dont think spraying Zmax on them is a bright idea, after all that is a lubricant that soaks into the metal, especially with heat....  Great idea, so eventually once the brakes get hot a few times and the Zmax soaks in, then you have 0 brakes at all.. but the will look GREAT!...:D
I am thinking about taping them up and painting them to keep them looking good.

Reply #11
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;267004
I dont think spraying Zmax on them is a bright idea, after all that is a lubricant that soaks into the metal, especially with heat....  Great idea, so eventually once the brakes get hot a few times and the Zmax soaks in, then you have 0 brakes at all.. but the will look GREAT!...:D

Contrary to what many think, a little lubricant on brakes does not cause no brakes. It causes too much brakes. They grab like a son of a w. It's almost like it ceases to become lubricant, and becomes glue instead. My father found this out the hard way, when he replaced the front brakes on his Exploder. He was all proud of himself for doing it all by himself instead of having me do it like he usually does. He didn't even make it out of the driveway before calling me in a panic. I went to his house and checked: He had not wiped the oil off the new rotor (you know, the oil they coat new rotors in to prevent them from rusting on the shelf). He thought the brake pads would se it off. Instead they turned it into some kind of sticky goo. I had to take it all apart and clean it up for him.

Clutches will do the same thing - a little bit of oil will cause grabbing/chattering. It's only when the surfaces and friction materials become absolutely soaked with oil (or brake fluid, such as with a rear wheel cylinder with a bad leak) that they start slipping...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #12
i meant going the whole 9 yards with the zmax.  not just mist the whole rotor.. just tape over the friction point, everything else gets missted.  around the hub and around and inside the fins.  im thinkin more of a wd40 rust prevention lube thing.  but yeh, you know how brakes have to get hot before they work best?  its gasses, thats why people drill and slot rotors. too much gas brake fade, too less unresponsive. if spray paint can be taken off with the pads and work fine.. a SMALL mist of zmax wouldnt mess it up, it'd burn off first 10 miles city.

thunder chicken - brake cleaner can cause grabby brakes too, i found out the hard way by almost going through the windshiled....  zmax would burn off the same.  but non friction places would get lubed... its gotta be a water displacer.. WD#40.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

Reply #13
Hurray! My calipers finally came this morning....

I should have done the 11" Brake upgrade but too late now... LOL.
Time for the backs...

EEEK! they are Worse!

Yes that is the shoe's linning laying there...  the Back shoe linning fell off as soon as I touched it too....

Ahh  This is more like it. LOL.

Reply #14
Look at that! Matching calipers!!! I hope the ones they got sent over are right. Which ones are those? Cardone?

BTW, Tank strap FTW!
1986 Cougar LS