Skip to main content
Topic: New 85 TC Owner - Introduction (Read 2250 times) previous topic - next topic

New 85 TC Owner - Introduction

Hey guys. My name is Jon, I just bought a 1985 TC with 5.0 conversion (March 09). I had an 88TC and a 95SC when I was younger (20's, I'm almost 40 now) and never forgot about those cars. I even had an 88 BMW 635csi. Some of you might be aware that there was some design inspiration between the Thunderbird aero and BMW 6 series cars.... like it or not. :)

I wanted to introduce myself since I'll probably be around here quite a bit searching for advice. I've primarily been a carbureted Ford guy for years, I own two Gran Torinos. I'm really excited about having a Fox/EFI/5.0 car. Finally something that is well-supported by the aftermarket.

Some of you might recognize my screen name from http://www.fordmuscle.com. I am an owner-operator over there and plan to dospoogeent through pictorial, ALL my upgrades to my new Thunderbird. Anyhow, I already got some great tips from this forum and CoolCats.net. Gathering all the gear required for the 11" brake conversion now.

Cheers,
Jon
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #1
Welcome
88 Sport, custom white 140 mph gauge, 11 in brake upgrade, stock mustang headers, bassani x-pipe, cherry bomb vortec lers, HO conversion
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #2
Welcome, Jon U have a very nice looking :birdsmily: any chance you might have a few more pics of it ? :poke::headbang:

Reply #3
Welcome. TC looks really clean. Youll like it here.

Quote from: Mikelonis;266566
I'm really excited about having a Fox/EFI/5.0 car. Finally something that is well-supported by the aftermarket.

It is nice, but to a point we run out of aftermarket support. Most things have been cured with the know how of guys around here though.

Quote from: Mikelonis;266566

Anyhow, I already got some great tips from this forum and CoolCats.net.

CoolCats is your new best friend. You can find almost anything there. If it isnt there its on here.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #4
Thanks guys. I'll work on getting some more pics. Sorry DVP, I was referring to "parts" when I said "support".
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #5
Welcome!  I'm in Nevada too.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #6
Quote from: Mikelonis;266587
Thanks guys. I'll work on getting some more pics. Sorry DVP, I was referring to "parts" when I said "support".

Yeah me too. I was just referring to Cougar/T-Bird specific parts. Things that are make just for our cars, repo body parts, things like that. We are lucky enough to have the Mustang in the Fox family or we would be SOL. Like you said the support is defiantly there for the 5.0 though:hick:
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #7
Because I know what it takes to run a forum AND because the tech help I already got from here and CoolCats, I made my $50 donation to CoolCats.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #8
Welcome. you can find parts here, if not Vinnie will get them.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #9
Beware of that CoolCats dude...I hear he's a real troublemaker. :evilgrin:

Great to have you on board, Jon! Your tech article on replacing struts is AMAZING. It should be required reading for all.

BTW, did you find out whose car was in the movie 'Gran Torino'? It looks like yours LOL. That was an incredibly powerful movie that, again, should be required viewing by everyone.

Reply #10
Thanks Eric. Yeah, I plan to ratchet up the complexity level on the stuff I dospoogeent on the car. My approach is always from a guy who's not incredibly mechanically experienced but wants to do it himself.... that's me. So the 11" brake upgrade will be a perfect next step for "pictorializing" on the bird.

I swear, I painted my Torino before that movie came out. Don't know who that one belongs too, some guy in the Detroit area.

Cheers.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #11
Quote from: EricCoolCats;266615
Beware of that CoolCats dude...I hear he's a real troublemaker. :evilgrin:

Yeah SCREW that guy!!!!! I've got a lotta CHOICE words for that guy........not to be trusted. Not to be trusted running a lemonade stand!!!! :rollin:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #12
Very nice looking Bird.................welcome !!!
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Reply #13
Very nice. I'm sure chuck would like the way it looks, but maybe dog on you for throwing a v-8 in it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #14
Looks like a keeper to me. Welcome!