Skip to main content
Topic: What do you guys think? (Read 2213 times) previous topic - next topic

What do you guys think?

So ive got my moms 89 caravan that has been sitting for months now, Shes tried to give it away with no success, i "almost" sold it for $100, but the buyer was a no show.
The way its setting and how our street is~its gonna be a bit of a pita to get a tow truck worked in here without disrupting traffic... and i dont know that the front wheel drive wheels arent locked up.

I have been offered a 351 engine out of a 1992 ford bronco, It has 112,000 miles, and was a good runner when he pulled it.
He says its mostly complete~Does not have the a/c stuff manifold is off but he thinks he can find it.
Has headers, has the alternator but its off and has to find it.

The caravan is has a bad trans, needs tires and a rim, needs a rearview mirror, needs a batt, needs fluids, Has a broken hatch mounting stud and peeling paint as well as a broken window latch.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/1109081723.html

This sound like a good trade?

He owns a tow truck, and he would deliver the engine and haul off the van same day.

I would be rebuilding the engine before it went into the t-bird and probably go carb.

He has no digi cam or anything and lives pretty far away, so it would be a kind of sight unseen trade for me...
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

What do you guys think?

Reply #1
If they can't get to it to tow let it go. S is down anyway. Take the motor.
Chances are if it ran with 112 grand on it, it's usable. I would take the deal.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

What do you guys think?

Reply #2
I'm really wanting to, I just dont want to be stuck with a 500pound junk engine.

And mom just wants the van gone at this point.
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~

What do you guys think?

Reply #3
Trade em... that carvan is nothing but taking up space, you couldent even get the $100 out of it...
if nothing else a junk 351 would waste LESS space than a junk caravan.
:birdsmily:   Objects In Mirror Appear to be Loosing  :birdsmily:

What do you guys think?

Reply #4
It would probably be easier to sell a good 351 than it would be a junk minivan if it comes down to it.
It's Gumby's fault.

What do you guys think?

Reply #5
No, I'm not a Craigslist "flag puppies", but...

You didn't list a set price (unless you're actually selling it for $1).
"Make a cash offer and ill look them over" is a prohibited auction.
"Would also be interested in trading..." belongs in Barter.
"Also interested in:" and a bunch of car names is "keywords", also prohibited.

I'm really surprised you haven't been flagged off yet, you naughty boy.
:beatyoass: :flame:
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

What do you guys think?

Reply #6
Quote from: MasterBlaster;266401
No, I'm not a Craigslist "flag puppies", but...

You didn't list a set price (unless you're actually selling it for $1).
"Make a cash offer and ill look them over" is a prohibited auction.
"Would also be interested in trading..." belongs in Barter.
"Also interested in:" and a bunch of car names is "keywords", also prohibited.

I'm really surprised you haven't been flagged off yet, you naughty boy.
:beatyoass: :flame:

DO IT! All you have to do is walk outside, trade, go back inside. You get something of use for something that is useless.

Things are getting really bad on STLs. Yet I still get flagged for nothing. One guy flagged then sent an email on my repost of how my SHO was a POS and it probably didnt run and there was problems I wasnt listing. This was right after I got it tagged and was DD it. Before whatever happened, happened. Told him sorry he felt that way, have a nice day.
1986 Cougar LS

What do you guys think?

Reply #7
Wow, Didnt realize i was breaking so many rules...

I'm gonna go for it!
The thought of a 351 makes my mouth water to tell you the truth, And we really need to just get the caravan outta here.

Now i just need to figure out how were gonna lift it... (I don't have an engine hoist~yet)

HEHE->

What do you guys think?

Reply #8
man handle that badboy with your beefy mitts sir.

What do you guys think?

Reply #9
:giggle:

To move it around for now i was going to get a movers dolly, But i forgot i saved something weird 'cuz i knew we would need it for something someday~lol :hick:
Its an old grocery cart that's missing the basket and has a bent wheel bar.
I found it in the field behind us like 5 years ago.

And as soon as i get out my BFH and possibly cut off the basket support bar... It will be the perfect 351 mover. :mullet:

What do you guys think?

Reply #10
Boy, you need an engine hoist. Bad.

What do you guys think?

Reply #11
buy a come a long at wall mart for $20. Its not the best set up, but at least you can move it without hurting it. I used one hooked to the chain on the engine puller, and wrapped around my tranny, to level out the transmission while I was pulling and putting back in my motor. I also use them quite a bit at work. I have lifted over 2,000lbs with a 1 ton.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

What do you guys think?

Reply #12
We have one of those actually.

Trade should be happening this weekend, Hopefully everything will work out~I'm pretty excited.

Any of you guys done a trade like this?
Should i write out or print out any kind of trade papers?

My mom had originally written out a proof of sale paper, but were not selling were trading...

What do you guys think?

Reply #13
Quote from: Romeo2k;266658
We have one of those actually.

Trade should be happening this weekend, Hopefully everything will work out~I'm pretty excited.

Any of you guys done a trade like this?
Should i write out or print out any kind of trade papers?

My mom had originally written out a proof of sale paper, but were not selling were trading...

Not sure about your state, we dont need a BOS to register a vehicle in MO anymore. I guess you could if he needs it. Otherwise there is no real reason. Depends on his plans for the van. Might need it to register, but if he is parting it no real need.
1986 Cougar LS

What do you guys think?

Reply #14
Might as well write something out just in case. Something along the lines of: _______ agrees to the trade of motor X for van X on _______ (date) Owner ______ agreed to terms of trade and throw a signiture or two in there for good measure.