Skip to main content
Topic: Using mustang O2 sensor harness? (Read 3389 times) previous topic - next topic

Using mustang O2 sensor harness?

I'm going to add some shorty headers and a mustang off road H-pipe to my bird. Is the mustang harness plug and play or need mods? I'd rather use the mustang piece if its plug and play rather then lengthen wires.

Reply #1
It should be
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #2
Lengthening the wires isn't hard. That's what I did on my car. Just lengthen the wires on the harness NOT the O2 sensor wires.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #3
I just made "extension cords" from a couple of bad O2 sensor plugs, and a TBird short harness the wrecking yard let me have for free. Cut, soldered, wrapped, and routed them away from the hot headers. This way I could easily replace the sensors without further mods, or reinstall the original cast iron manifolds & pipes without piles of extra wire to deal with... just unplug the extensions.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #4
I just bought some BBK extenders this time around. I lengthened the O2 wire the first time. I didnt have good luck with it. Extenders are nice and easy.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #5
Quote from: DVP;266224
I just bought some BBK extenders this time around. I lengthened the O2 wire the first time. I didnt have good luck with it. Extenders are nice and easy.

You can lengthen the O2 harness wire with no ill-effects but lengthening the O2 sensor wire is a no no. There is something special about the wires used on the O2 sensors and lengthening them screws up the O2 sensor.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #6
the good thing with the aftermarket extender is the heat shield around the wires
i tried to buy heat shield tube at autopart but no success
keep away from the exhaust if not shielded

Reply #7
Bosch makes o2 sensors with 16" long wires.....Plenty long enough even with the stock wiring harness....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #8
Quote from: V8Demon;266819
Bosch makes o2 sensors with 16" long wires.....Plenty long enough even with the stock wiring harness....

Same with standard part# SG40 is the long wire.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #9
Our o2 sensor wires do not breath through the harness.
Some vehicles 02s do sample the outside air but ours do not.
I have lengthened two sets of o2 sensors over the past 10yrs on 5.0L birds and have had no problems(and yes my o2's do work).
However it is correct that bosch does now make ones with longer wiring so lengthening them should not be necessary.

Reply #10
The Bosch part # is 13942 for the standard length and 13953 for the longer wire sensor....

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsProduct.jsp?displayName=Oxygen+Sensor&itemId=prod10688&navValue=16000117&parentId=cat10015&productId=4981&fromString=&itemIdentifier=4981_102785_1784_14574&filterByKeyWord=&categoryNValue=&isSearchByPartNumber=&categoryDisplayName=EmissionControl&store=2969&skuDescription=Bosch/OxygenSensor&fromWhere=&searchText=&_requestid=248677
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #11
I found a Denso part number also, if you prefer Denso....  2343007 this is for the longer ones, using the stock harness
Mike

Reply #12
I just did that today. I found a Mark 7 and cut the harness oss of it. Then I rewired mu harness for longer or wires. Works good for me. Quick and easy.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

Reply #13
I need new sensors anyway, so I figured why not order the longer wired ones, and use my stock harness.
Mike

Reply #14
Reading through this thread again made me want to address something.  There are in fact different HEGO sensor harnesses.

Example:

Note the oil level sender.  The stock Cougarbird 5.0 harness does not have this in some cases.  I know mine doesn't. 

Observe more differences....

I have the black connector listed in the above diagram, but my harness Does NOT have the oil sensor running to it. It goes to a totally different location on the dash harness. I know this is from the factory this way as it's not the only one I've seen or heard of like this. I have a second harness  now that is identical to the one in my car, but I'm still curious as to the part #.

Quote from: 88 Blackbird 5.0;247748
My EVTM for 88 CatBirds came in the mail yesterday.  On page 54, Figure 1 shows that the low oil sensor wiring on TC's like mine, went from the plug in the oil pan, to the 4 cyl. Engine harness.  A 4-pin, grey connector from the dash harness connects to the engine harness.  This completes the ground circuit, from the sensor plug in the oil pan, to the low oil level relay under the dash.

On page 79 of the EVTM, figure 2 shows that on V8 CatBirds, wiring from the sensor plug in the pan runs forward along the oil pan rail, loops up over the front of the exhaust manifold and then is routed back toward the master cylinder area of the firewall. 

Page 128 has a schematic which shows that V8 cars have just one connection between the plug in the pan and the inside of the passenger compartment where the low oil relay is located.  That connector is "C2001.". This same schematic shows that the wire in the dash harness for the low oil level sensor is white with a pink stripe (wire #258).

On page 236 of the EVTM, the location of connector C2001 is stated as being "LH fender apr0n, near dash panel.". That confirms it's in the dash harness.

Having said all this, it seems, that both V8 and 4 cyl. CatBirds have connectors for their low oil level sensors in their dash harnesses. 

For guys like me that are doing a 5.0 swap in their TC's, the aforemention information is what you need to know, if you want to retain a functioning low oil warning system (which I do). 

The "How The Circuit Works" paragraph on page 129 states that the low oil warning light will remain ON when the ignition switch is in the run, or start position if there is an inadequate amount of oil in the pan.  I see that as a really good feature to have.  If the light only worked briefly, when starting the car, I wouldn't bother hooking the system up, but since that's not the case, I think the system's a keeper.

On my car, I removed the white/pink wire from the 4 pin connector in the dash harness and am going to pin it into the plug in the EEC harness that the O2 sensor harness connects to.  From there, I'm going to run a wire out of the other side of the O2 harness plug and on down to the low oil plug in the pan.  Now all I need to do is find someone with a low oil sensor plug to sell.  Lol

There is also a difference between manual and automatic transmission equipped HEGO harnesses as explained by TMoss:

Manual/Automatic EEC Code Wiring Differences

There is a hardware difference between an auto processor & a manual processor. The difference is because of the way the NDS [neutral drive switch, manual transmission] & the NSS [neutral safety switch, auto transmission] are wired.  They are both wired to the same pin#30 but the auto trans wiring grounds the pin to the starter solenoid & the manual grounds to signal return, during crank mode there is a voltage spike sent to pin-30 so the auto trans processor has a diode on pin 30 where as the manual processor doesn't, most of the time this won't cause a problem unless you get into a prolonged crank condition.

Those that want to convert their automatics to manuals, and swap the ECM, need to clip the wire going to pin 30 or else the ECM will fry the trace off the board.  This leaves the manual EEC unable to dump codes, which looks for the loop through the neutral sensing switch of the T5 transmission.

Make sure you have a 5 speed O2 sensor harness when using an A9L or you will fry the trace also. The damage is common when people mismatch harnesses and use an automatic O2 sensor harness with an A9L computer.

The differences may be shown in the picture posted of the harness connectors.  I'm not 100% on that..... Perhaps the top 2 are for an HO and one is auto and the other 5 speed? 

Lastly, Scott posted this in response to my question concerning the stock harness part # for a V8 Cougarbird:

Quote from: jcassity;266793
"wiring assy 12A690" is your harness number

shop manual 34-10- 8, bottom illustration.