Skip to main content
Topic: Progress. (Read 1469 times) previous topic - next topic

Progress.

The engine, aside from plugs, wires, a dizzy clamp, and a few odds and ends, is now a finished product.  Here are some pictures of the Proform rockers being installed...

Valve covers are on, TDC is set, even the dizzy is positioned correctly (albeit not secured), as soon as I get the bell housing mounted and the timing chain cover in place, it'll be ready to fire up for the first time.  Maybe I should make provisions to include the radiator in the deal so I can run it through it's break-in cycle while I have it out of the car.

Any clues on where to get an engine stand, or, failing that, anybody got diagrams on how to make one?

Progress.

Reply #1
I hate the fact that you can wear shorts. It started snowing again today.......

I got to work in the shop yesterday before the strom hit. Now its white out and too cold.

Progress.

Reply #2
Any clues on where to get an engine stand, or, failing that, anybody got diagrams on how to make one?

If there is a Harbor Freight somewhere near you you can pick one up there for like 50 bucks.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Progress.

Reply #3
I'm actually using the harbor freight stand in the pictures above...can't actually run a motor for any length of time on them.

Another question that's plaguing me... Where is the Rear Main seal located?  I've already torqued down all the Main caps...please tell me I don't have to redo it :(

EDIT: Nvm, looked it up on the interwebs, Already replaced it :P

Progress.

Reply #4
Eastwood Co. sells an engine testing stand.  About $400 or so.
1987 TC

Progress.

Reply #5
Hey,those look like my rockers..........and I use gloves like that......LOL. Glad you're getting some work  done.My biggest projects are mostly done,it's all the little stuff now.One step at a time,right?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Progress.

Reply #6
I'm still super-confused about the rear diff tho :/.

The door panel that was supposed to display the information I needed has been blasted off  by something or other...but the wheel test tells me it's no locker.  I asked in another thread if I could just replace the diff guts, but opinions on the difficulty of such a task are all over the place, and Im still tragically under-educated on the subject.

If anybody's swapped a locker in place of a conventional, fill me in, what all did you do? looking for the least modification possible.  Also, how hard is the installation of bigger gears?

Progress.

Reply #7
Why not just get a TC or Mark VII rear? I think swapping a rear would be easier than swapping the guts but I'm no pro.

Progress.

Reply #8
Rear ends apparently cost an arm and a leg though

Progress.

Reply #9
I found one by me through http://www.car-part.com for $150.00 with only 85K on it, I always recommend this site because you can search JY's in your state and even see it before you buy in some cases. If I knew your Zip I could search it for you.

Progress.

Reply #10
Took a peak at your link, has several rears for the Lincoln MKVII but most of them are pretty tough to decipher...and they're all back east :(

EDIT: My Zip is 85226.  LEt me know if you have any luck

Progress.

Reply #11
Auto wrecking mall in Maricopa has an 8.8" with 3.72 Trac-Lok for $250 from a Mark VII
All Arizona Ford Parts in Phoenix has an 8.8" with 3.08 Trac-Lok for $300 from a Mustang

Its pretty slim picking out there. I looked at a few different models to find the best options and this is the best I could come up with. Its pretty easy to find stuff like that out here. You must live in a pretty big area in Arizona. Tuscon maybe? My Grandpa used to live in Phoenix.

Progress.

Reply #12
East side phoenix actually.  Any way you could link me to that auto wrecking mall one?

Progress.

Reply #13
Hey for some reason I can't seem to find their website but it you go on car-part.com you just search axle assy. rear for an 87 Lincoln mark series in arizona and put in your zip code it will come up with a few others and this one too. but here is their address and phone number. I hope I have helped.
Auto Recycling Mall
(520) 568-3951

22111 N White Rd
Maricopa, AZ 85239

Progress.

Reply #14
hey that site is awsome!!!!! thanks!!!
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!