Skip to main content
Topic: Did i spend too much?? (Read 1088 times) previous topic - next topic

Did i spend too much??

My 87 Lx starting making a funny noise in the right front. It's kinda of a high pitched warble sound. I stopped at the local auto parts place and had the guy behind the counter (he's been real helpful before) drive the car around the parking lot and see if he could tell me what it is.
  Being a newbie to this i'm trying to learn. Well he got of the car and said " i think i can fix you up" he spent several minutes looking in books and making a few phone calls.
  It turns out my brakes are old and dry and need to be relubricated. He was out of Ford style brake grease, and told me the standard or GM version wouldn't last that long. He said he could order some in air freight from the home office. 1 case of 12 cans of Ford style brake grease in aersol cans plus freight cost me $135.00  thats like almost $12.00 a can. As he said i should grease the brakes every 2 months at 1 can per wheel this would only last me about 6 months. I haven't seen anything on any of the boards about getting it cheaper any where else, so I thought i'd ask.
  Well, just finished spraying the rear brakes shoes and the front pads, the spray brake grease is kinda thick but real slipppery. I'll let you all know if it fixed the squealing noise, going out to test drive after i finish this note. figures i'd hit the interstate and try some high speed passes. :toilet:
Baylensman 97 XR7

Re: Did i spend too much??

Reply #1
Putting grease on brakes is news to me. Brakes are suppose to have lots of friction, that is how they stop the car. If your brakes are squealing change the pads and have the rotors turned it probably won't squeal after that. Also a standard brake job will cost less than that case of grease.

Reply #2
Ummm, well I really hope this stuff is being applied to the slider pins and the backs of the pads and nowhere else.  Maybe it's brake cleaner?  I'm real confused.

Reply #3
Let me get this straight:

You're going to put
grease
on your brakes..
and then do
high speed passes
on the interstate?

Well, you have at least three interstates to choose from up there in the Tampa area. Just don't pick the one that leads to my house if you head south. :p

In all seriousness.. I'm guessing this is an error in communication or something, and those who are a little more knowledgeable could use a bit more info on the product in question.

Reply #4
You guys have obviously never driven a car with greased brakes. A few years ago my father decided to do a brake job on his Exploder. The job included new rotors, and the rotors were covered in an oil film to prevent rust. He put 'em on and drove the truck around the block. He then calle dme and asked me to come over and see what he did wrong. The brakes were grabbing VERY hard, and the truck was undrivable. I looked under the truck and laughed my ass off - he didn't bother wiping the oil off the rotors, thinking the brake pads would wipe it off. WRONG! The things chattered like hell! I'm really surprised that he didn't break something in his suspension, the chattering was that violent. Think "wheelhop X 10". I cleaned the rotors with brake cleaner and everything was spiffy.

Oiled rotors will grab MORE than clean ones, not less. The oil will actually cause the pads to glue themselves to the rotor. Don't believe me? Try it. Just don't go far - you'll probably break something.

Oiled brake shoes will grab as well. If you ever have a rear wheel start locking up under braking, chances are you need either new wheel cylinders or axle seals. Same goes for clutches. If your clutch is grabby chances are it's oil soaked from a leaking seal.

Baylensman, if you're saying you greased the friction part of your brakes I hope this is an early April Fools joke. Otherwise you're in for a big, costly repair. And if you believed the parts guy that the Ford brake anti-squeal stuff is any better than the GM stuff, you did pay too much. Same , different can.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #5
actually ive heard of some spray can stuff that you spray on the rotors and pads to simmer down squeeling. i never have used it nor would i. its not a ford or chevy type thing either. i wouldnt pay 12 dollars a can nevermind buy a case. sounds like you got dooped. if anything, your brakes were sticking at the slider pin and they either need repairing or likely replacing. the boots are probably toast. same for the slider cyl in the rear drums.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #6
OH NO...ITS APRIL FOOLS

~John~

Reply #7
yes it april the first :rollin:
Baylensman 97 XR7

Reply #8
Actually guys i think he means greasing the sliders on the brakes.
Our cars  brakes ride on steel sliders pins that have to be lubricated every so often to prevent the calipers from seizing up.
Also rear drums have 6 little steel pads built into the backing plates underneith the shoes that have to be cleaned and lubricated every so often otherwise they can sieze up as well.

Reply #9
Actually guys

yup, got that covered :rolleyes:

I really hope this stuff is being applied to the slider pins and the backs of the pads and nowhere else

. sounds like you got dooped. if anything, your brakes were sticking at the slider pin and they either need repairing or likely replacing. the boots are probably toast. same for the slider cyl in the rear drums.

~John~