Skip to main content
Topic: Griggs K member (Read 2216 times) previous topic - next topic

Griggs K member

I see pn thier site that Griggs Racing offers a K member for our cars. I have'nt called yet but does anyone have one ?

Griggs K member

Reply #1
Just read this now.

I have one, If you have any questions.
88 TC, Lots of Mods.

Griggs K member

Reply #2
Stock A arms  Thanks.:D or Griggs ? Hows the ride ? Handling ? Worth the money/effort ?

Griggs K member

Reply #3
Forward offset Griggs arms.  Handling is awesome.  Ride is a bit rough, but I don't mind.  Most of that issue is the spring rates i have coupled with the swaybar links limiting my suspention travel.  With the Griggs a-arms, you need the swaybar relocation kit to properly hook up your end links.  Worth the time/money/effort?  Well.....

Yes.  Even though this stuff was on my car when I bought it......

This is really the way to go:

Griggs K-member
Forward Offset a-arms
Bumpsteer Kit
Swaybar Relocation kit
Front Coilover Kit
Caster/Camber Plates

I was missing the caster camber plates and the Swaybar relocation Until taxes came back this year.  I drove the hell out of the car without all that, but had issues with tire wear and such.  With the CC plates and swaybar relocate, I'll be very happy.  I still have the PRC struts on it at the moment, but I'll be changing those too,

I love how having a tubular K-member allows you to work on things so much easier..... there's not huge chunks of metal in the way.  You could look at the Maximum Motorsports stuff too, theirs is comprable in quality and a bit cheaper.  If i had the money... (or when I have the money to be more accurate)  I wiould have a Griggs torque arm and panhard bar setup.
88 TC, Lots of Mods.

Griggs K member

Reply #4
Thanks for the fast reply. Sounds great. I'm soooo envious (hatin Lol ) If I ever go back to work full time and not a couple of weeks here and there that's how I'll go.

Griggs K member

Reply #5
Got one too.  Have not had the car on the road as of yet but definitely worth it if it handles anything like my Coupe does with the MM gear.  Here is a picture of the install about half way through:

Here is a shot down the side of the car with no motor or tranny but you get the idea, its gonna be low:

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Griggs K member

Reply #6
God, your parts look so nice!

Mine has to come out next year for stripping and re-finishing.  You can barely tell they are grey!
88 TC, Lots of Mods.

Griggs K member

Reply #7
aerocoupe, what spring rates are you running?
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Griggs K member

Reply #8
those A arms look heavy that would slow me down

SCT Tuned by Me(Greg@SpeedyDyno.com)

E.T. 10.28 @ 136.5 MPH 1/4 mile: List of Mods; 351 EFI, AFR heads,AOD,Rousch 13in frt brakes,11in rear brakes, AirRide Tech air ride system, Sub frame connetors,2400 RPM stall, 3.50,BBK shorties,T62PT Turbos  air to air intercooled, Home built kit.
Car weights 3705lbs without driver:burnout:

Griggs K member

Reply #9
Thanks but its been a long road back.  I lost interest in the car for a couple of years after the motor died a miserable death.  The car was bought new by my father so it has been in the family for a long time.

Spring rate up front is 425# due to the 351W based motor with Koni DA's.  The struts were sold as custom valved by Griggs.  I would assume that to be true as Bruce cut his teeth on this very thing in, if memory serves me right, the NASCAR scene.  I met him a couple of years ago in Dallas with several other racers when he talked to a group of us for a couple of hours about chassis design and setup.  This was for the Texas NASA group and I have buddy that used to race in American Iron and is a Griggs dealer so that is how I got a seat to that deal.  Anyhow, I am taking my time with it this round and hoping that is comes out better than the last time I built it.

The control arms are the Griggs severe duty.  I chose them because their standard arm pushes the wheel forward an additional 0.75" which makes the total forward movement 1.5" as their K-Member has 0.75" of forward movement built into it.  I did not want the tires to rub so the severe duty control arms allow you a range of forward movement from 0.00" to 0.75".  Slow you down, man if these slow you down you must have a throttle with a turtle and rabbit on it with a Briggs under the hood.  Ha ha ha!!!  From the looks of your sig I highly doubt its a Briggs.

Darren

Griggs K member

Reply #10
Aerocoupe,  is your Kmember in your car a Griggs tbird specific or is it the same as a Fox Mustang?  looking to build a tbird for american iron and am trying to make sense out of it, as I have a fox body coupe w/ full griggs stuff and would like to swap stuff over.

Griggs K member

Reply #11
Well that is a great question.  I thought the T-Birds were K-member specific and got into it with some of the guys here a couple of years ago over that topic.  Needless to say I lost that battle as I am not a chassis guy.  Griggs sold me a T-Bird specific unit but we had issues with fitment.  I ended up sending Bruce my stock K-member and the third one fit the car.  My car is an '83 so I am not sure if that really had anything to do with it or if it was made on a Monday or Friday when the workers were not really into what they were doing.  I know alot of the guys on here put Mustang K-members in their cars so I would think as long as you know which one to put in you are okay.  Here is a thread on the K-member dimensions if that will help:

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=27386

Not really sure what year car you have so its kinda hard to help much more.

Your best bet is to call Griggs or Maximum Motorsports and talk to them directly and be very honest with what you are building and what you expect.  My buddy John is a dealer for both at http://www.chicane23.com.  He won the South Region American Iron series in 2004 & 2005 so he is pretty well versed in the NASA scene.

Darren

Griggs K member

Reply #12
I purchased this car,  an '83:

http://foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=20556

I also have an '82 Mustang notchback that I have been racing in AI for some time,  but its time to retire that chassis.  My plan was to swap over my complete GR-40 system from the notch,  with only having to buy a new Watts link for the rear, new castor plates and few other various bits..  I might have to buy a new kframe at this point,  then just use my severe duty frt. control arms, and that would be it.

Griggs K member

Reply #13
BTW,  I heard Griggs is going through some transitional things and were hard to get a hold of.  I was just trying to see if I could try to figure it out on my own first before I try to contact them.

Griggs K member

Reply #14
From what I understand Bruce sold the company to an investor.  He will still run the place but now the $$$ is there for him to further develope more product and not have to worry about the day to day financial part of the business.  Bruce is a great guy and hopefully this will allow him to do what he does best and that is design and develope new products.

Call John at Chicane 23.  He can and will get you the answers you need.  I want to say the '82 Mustang had a narrow K-member from the factory but I am not sure what K-member you installed from Griggs.  My bet is it is a stock Fox Mustang unit for the 87-93 cars which might just work.  Anyhow, give John a call and just explain what you are wanting to do.

Darren