Skip to main content
Topic: 87 t-bird V8 with turbocoupe dash (Read 1034 times) previous topic - next topic

87 t-bird V8 with turbocoupe dash

I've been attempting to locate a rust free 87-88 turbo coupe for a 5.0 conversion using my 1990 mustang 5.0/5-speed for the swap.  I was advised by members of this site that a v8 t-bird parts car would be of great assistance.  Anyways, the parts car I've found is an 87 v-8 thunderbird with low mileage and it's in really decent shape body wise, and underbody also.  I figured that for $350 I can't go wrong. My question now is if I go this route and fix the v8 car, I would want a turbo coupe parts car for the goodies like hood, rear end, front facia,interior, etc.  What kind of difficulties will I run into when swapping out the digital dash out of this v-8 t-bird for the buttstuffog dash in the turbo coupe.  Is this more trouble than it's worth?  I thought ford had a thunderbird sport in 1987 that came with an buttstuffog dash also, but I'm not 100% sure. Any assistance on this swap would be great.

Reply #1
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=479  :D

Pretty simple swap, just time consuming.:burnout: And yes, the 88 Sports came with a buttstuffog dash.
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #2
I did this swap with my 85 Turbo Coupe back in 1990. No problems. Just a matter of a connecting a few wires. Everything bolt in. I even had the original 4 cylinder tach modified to work with the v8. I took it to a local electronics expert and he soldered in an adjustable resistor and I put it back in the car and "set" the resistor comparing to another tach and then took the tach back to him and he measured the resistance and soldered in a permanent resistor. Very accurate. I use an Autometer tach with shift light when I drag race and it is right on with it! You would be better off finding a turbo coupe since you would get the disc brakes all around and better gears. Also I think the sports still had the 10" front rotors.  TC has 11" rotors.

Reply #3
Also If you are looking for a TC hood, go to the Toronto mustang club site  and there is a member with a couple of them for sale.

Reply #4
stvrrr, do you have any idea what resistor that was? What kind of people would be able to do this? lol I have a turbo coupe cluster I would love to use.