Skip to main content
Topic: Thunderbird Exhaust Question (Read 525 times) previous topic - next topic

Thunderbird Exhaust Question

I've been looking for an 87 turbocoupe to do a 5.0 swap from my 1990 5.0 mustang.  My mustang has a 3" magnaflow system on it (I didn't put it on).  I've found a low mileage 87 thunderbird v8 which is almost rust free, and although I was going to use it as a parts car for the swap, I may end up keeping it, and using a turbo coupe as a parts car, because I have found plenty of rusty, high mileage turbo coupes in the Toronto area.  Anyway, I want to know how much of the magnaflow system on the mustang will bolt right up on the t-bird.  The magnaflow has 3" going all the way out the back.  The t-bird is obviously longer, but is this just at the section behind the rear wheels and the down spouts, or does the mustang exhaust have to be cut up and stretched elsewhere?

Thunderbird Exhaust Question

Reply #1
You can use the whole exhaust from the Stang.Two areas will need to be adressed.

First-the mid pipes from the lers to the H-pipe will need to be lengthened.
Second-The tail pipes aren't long enough to reach the end of the car and need a little pipe added to the back (generally).

Otherwise,bolt on.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..