Skip to main content
Topic: Moates Quarterhorse (Read 2249 times) previous topic - next topic

Moates Quarterhorse

What is all required to make this add-on EEC-IV tuner and data logging system work with an EEC computer. I am definitely behind when it comes to talking DIY EEC software editing and do not understand how these systems work or what can be accomplished. I was assuming complete fuel and timing curve manipulation, but the moates crew speaks in another language that I do not understand. Can someone sort this out and explain it so the knuckle dragging wrench turning bubbas can understand and have fun as well? I don't like when my EEC is not tuned properly and my fliver runs like . The quarterhorse seems to be the answer to this, but I cannot even understand the posts on their site.....please educate me!!

Moates Quarterhorse

Reply #1
why not give us a link? Cougar5.0 had a long and detailed post about tuner software not too long back.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Moates Quarterhorse

Reply #2
link is http://www.moates.net/, I will look for Cougar 5.0's post....I actually saw a post by him on the eectuner web board. I was gonna use the Anderson PMS piggyback system, but hell if this is easier and cheaper it is a no brainer.

Moates Quarterhorse

Reply #3
It's similar to a TwEECer but with more capabilities/features.  Most notably, data logging can happen much quicker without loading down the EEC, along with not being limited to the standard 32 byte payloads (up until recently, this meant datalogging 16 parameters max). That and being cheaper, it's a great system. It does not come with software so Binary Editor/EEC buttstuffyzer are a must (or other options but these are good pieces of software).

It also allows updating of the tune in real time...no need to kill the engine, upload, then restart.

I saw no issues with datalogging basically every possibly useful parameter at 5ms intervals and updating the EEC while running. Only issue is that you have to make sure the usb cable you use has a ferrite core or datalogging may pause...
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Moates Quarterhorse

Reply #4
SO is tuning with the Quarterhorse and the needed software easy? Can a hillbilly from Central Illinois figure it out? Should I just go the Ron Anderson direction....open my wallet let the moths out and purchase the PMS piggyback and have Anderson tune the  thing or is this a cheap and easy option?

Moates Quarterhorse

Reply #5
I had a pms and got rid of it. Its really a pain to know what your actual timing is unless you get the addition software so you can hook it  up to a laptop. For a few hundred more dollars you can get the AEM stand alone which is way better or BIG stuff 3

Moates Quarterhorse

Reply #6
Quote from: Lightningbird;264439
SO is tuning with the Quarterhorse and the needed software easy? Can a hillbilly from Central Illinois figure it out? Should I just go the Ron Anderson direction....open my wallet let the moths out and purchase the PMS piggyback and have Anderson tune the  thing or is this a cheap and easy option?

There really isn't much to adjust in these EEC's - so it's quite easy. We've got fuel injectors, timing, and all the small targets for the EEC to try to hit when different sensors and solenoids are turned on off - both at closed/part and wide open throttle. Getting a chip from someone will get the engine in tune to be safe at WOT but the fine tuning, if you desire it, won't be included. It can be easy to waste hundreds of hours tuning the vehicle if you want everything perfect to your requirements. If you want to learn about the EEC, do it yourself, otherwise just get someone to write a chip.

Of course, when changes are made, you will need a new chip/tune which is no additional cost if you do it yourself. I love being able to datalog as it will help me spot issues long before they ever become a problem.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Moates Quarterhorse

Reply #7
Seek has a pretty good handle on things here. The QH is just like the TwEECer, except you can log more stuff and change stuff while the engine is running.

The real deal is the software - Binary Editor/EEC buttstuffyzer  is the shiznit and makes the whole tuning process much easier. When you first get started, you can ask some dumb questions over on EECTuning - we're used to newbies popping up daily and try our best to steer people in the right direction. I assume you'll be using a popular ECU like A9L etc., which is the most popular and supported and will make it easier for you to get started.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Moates Quarterhorse

Reply #8
Quote from: Cougar5.0;264633
The real deal is the software - Binary Editor/EEC buttstuffyzer  is the shiznit and makes the whole tuning process much easier. When you first get started, you can ask some dumb questions over on EECTuning - we're used to newbies popping up daily and try our best to steer people in the right direction. I assume you'll be using a popular ECU like A9L etc., which is the most popular and supported and will make it easier for you to get started.

It's really a shame more people don't purchase, or feel the need to, this software. It does great for what it needs to but certain things don't work all the greatest. If more people purchased, more time (or more developers) could work on coding! Microsoft Excel is useless for making very useful graphs. Bottom line: Purchase the software so that I can get some more pretty graphs!
1988 Thunderbird Sport

sticker shock

Reply #9
Quote from: andrew beedle;264441
For a few hundred more dollars you can get the AEM stand alone which is way better or BIG stuff 3

AEM wants $2.5K+ for their system
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]