Skip to main content
Topic: K&N filter......worth it? (Read 2335 times) previous topic - next topic

K&N filter......worth it?

So I have to clean the K&N filter on my March Ram Air kit. I've been thinking of throwing my stock airbox back on instead as really I don't think this "Ram Air" kit makes much of a difference in performance. If I stick the stock air box back on and run a paper Motorcraft air filter I'll lose what, 2-3 hp over a K&N in the stock air box? Really is a K&N worth it? I really don't think it is. I don't think any of the aftermarket "intakes" make much if any more power over the stock set up. Any thoughts?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #1
I've never had an aftermarket air intake, but have had a k&n, to me, they are not worth it. Didn't feel a difference in the stock airbox.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #2
Throw the air box back on with a panel K&N filter.CAI right there for you,and yes,they make a difference.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #4
The stock TC airbox is VERY restrictive.  Going with a cone filter or CAI is the only way to go.  The fox body 5.0 airbox is actually pretty good flow wise.  And since it takes in air from outside the engine compartment anyway, what's the point of putting a CAI kit on them?  Especially the ones that leave the filter exposed INSIDE the engine bay.  Not really sure what the point of those is.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

Reply #5
Figure $50 for the K&N vs 10-15 for a paper one.  Replace the paper one 3-4 times, and the K&N is paid off.  That's a good enough reason for me to get them for the Bird and the truck.
1988 Thunderbird Sport (1st car)
351W in the works
"I'll get it one piece at a time...":D

Quote from: bhazard;300566
You got woman'd.

Reply #6
I didn't notice much difference with the CAI kit on the convertible, at least with the ol' butt dyno. On the track...MAYBE it would show just a little improvement, and the same on a real dyno too, but otherwise I can't really say for sure if that $150 was really worth it for performance.

I will say one thing, though. You can always tell when my foot's on the throttle because of the whistle coming from the CAI filter. , that's annoying.

...but then I lift the hood and OOOOOOH IT'S SO SHINY! And all is forgiven again...

Now a few years ago at Carlisle, there was a company showing their K&N alternative product, which used a natural bio oil instead of a synthetic (can't remember the name of the product but it's bright green). Ric's brother bought one on the spot for his Chevy truck, and he reported that his fuel economy on the way home from Carlisle--hauling Ric's car on the trailer--increased by 2-3mpg. And that's going INTO the wind.

So...I do believe there is a precedent for non-paper filters, and that they all probably work better than a stock paper filter, but again it all depends on the situation.

I'd like to try that other company's conical filter on the convertible and see if it really is better. One plus for the product: their oil won't screw with MAF sensors, whereas K&N's oil is sometimes blamed for ruining them. And that kind of makes sense to me. I haven't had a MAF sensor failure yet but if I do...I'll know what to blame if it's all caked up with film...

Reply #7
Even a  knock off K&N is better than paper if you don't want to dish out the money for the K&N.

I would not spend money on the CAI kit. Hell, make your own! :]

It's worked for the 3 cars I have owned.

but the filter is a given... if not the K&N, at least a knock off K&N
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)

Reply #8
Yeah, I think CAIs are a waste of money on these cars. Just remove the air silencer jug and put in a K&N, and it'll have plenty of cold air. Plus you don't have to use a wrench to get to the air filter.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #9
Quote from: 5.0 bird;264060
Yeah, I think CAIs are a waste of money on these cars. Just remove the air silencer jug and put in a K&N, and it'll have plenty of cold air. Plus you don't have to use a wrench to get to the air filter.

Silencer is gone as the car has the March "Ram Air" kit on it. The kit was probably a waste of money. After all how much of a *ram effect* do you get from a scoop under the bumper which is plummed up to the air box through a flex hose? The kit doesn't have an air tight seal so I'm guessing it can't be that much of a help. It does a  fine job of sucking up leaves and twigs though :hick:

I guess I'll just get a K&N and throw it in the stock air box. It can't hurt ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #10
I ike my MAC CAI on my Sport.I got a great deal from a fellow member here.The eye candy is nice when you pop the hood (as Eric stated).I alsows going Mass Air and needed new intake tubes anyway,so,might as well swap out.If looks are also important to you,why not grab a decent CAI.We ALL have parts on our cars we wanted (didn't NEED).Wheels,interior,whatever.A shiny CAI is just one more little pretty part for the cars,like new valve covers.....not necessary,but nice.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #11
What I really need is the hose that connects the factory air can to the snorkel that dips under the car.  Factory CAI ftw.

Reply #12
Just so everyone is clear this is what's on my T-bird right now:

I'm planning on taking it out and putting the stock air box back on with a K&N. I'm tired of sucking up leaves and twigs :hick: I know the BBK/MAC *cold air* kits are pretty but I get the same power with a K&N in the stock air box so I get to keep $150 in my pocket ;)

Reply #13
I like the chrome.It looks great with the other polished parts but not over kill.As I said,if I had to pay full price,no way,but,I got "a deal".

Reply #14
I had a  k&N on my Dodge ram truck.  A buddy of mine said they let through more dirt so I replaced mine.  Not sure if it's true or not.  Just what I heard; so don't masacure me for it!
===85BIRD===
:birdsmily: