Skip to main content
Topic: Fan wiring question (Read 2278 times) previous topic - next topic

Fan wiring question

On a 86 Turbo Cougar the fan has been wired to run constantly when key is on. Do any of you know what goes bad on these. Also as of now I havent found/bought any manuals for this car. I have all the Ford manuals for my sons 83 along with the EVTM, might these be similar for this car?

Fan wiring question

Reply #1
go to the top of electrical tech
There is a sticky for the 87EVTM
go to page 61
print that out or , clean it up some then print.

there is an integrated control module which has a couple of fan control relays.

double check power in / power out also.

Use your evtm to compare it to the one i put up.

Fan wiring question

Reply #2
If you have two fans it will be like the 87 diagram.
If you have one fan it will be more like the 83.
I will try to post the 86 EVTM diagram tomorrow.

Fan wiring question

Reply #3
From the 86 EVTM:
The cooling fan controller-under the left hand side of the instrument panel.
The Cooling fan temperature switch- lower left hand side of the engine.
Connector C128-  lower center of instrument panel.

Fan wiring question

Reply #4
Thanks, thats what I am after.

Fan wiring question

Reply #5
Those stupid factory fan controllers go bad all the time.  I always wound up removing them and replacing the set-up with a relay as well as a lower temp fan switch (the factory switch setting is WAY too high IMO).  On the earlier cars (w/o gauges) you didn't know things were amiss until the engine light came on, meaning the thing was already overheating....

If the car still has AC, you can duplicate the above diagram with a pair of relays.  If no AC, just one will be enough.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Fan wiring question

Reply #6
So is the diagram shown above also apply to a '85 turbo coupe? I finaly got the cooling system redone and ran the car up to opperating temperature, but the electric fan never kicked on. I tested the fan and it is working fine, so something is a miss in the wiring or relay.

Fan wiring question

Reply #7
Quote from: Rages6971;268898
So is the diagram shown above also apply to a '85 turbo coupe?

Yes

Fan wiring question

Reply #8
Quote from: Chuck W;264057
Those stupid factory fan controllers go bad all the time.  I always wound up removing them and replacing the set-up with a relay as well as a lower temp fan switch (the factory switch setting is WAY too high IMO).  On the earlier cars (w/o gauges) you didn't know things were amiss until the engine light came on, meaning the thing was already overheating....

If the car still has AC, you can duplicate the above diagram with a pair of relays.  If no AC, just one will be enough.

I'd like more info on this :) I would like to do the relays with lower temp switch. (with AC) Could someone make a diagram/ description/ parts list for this :)

Fan wiring question

Reply #9
Quote from: 88turboeric;269256
I'd like more info on this :) I would like to do the relays with lower temp switch. (with AC) Could someone make a diagram/ description/ parts list for this :)

:rollin:
sounds like you da man for the job!  you need it so why not build it:bowdown:

Fan wiring question

Reply #10
why build just pickup the dccontrol fk-35 I've had it for 4-5 years now and it works great.

Heres the directions for it check it out http://www.dccontrol.com/fk35.htm
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fan wiring question

Reply #11
the fk35 is $125, i'm assuming the relay method would be much cheaper right?? Could someone explain how to do it and what parts I'd need? :)

Fan wiring question

Reply #12
I know I always pimp the dccontrol fk-35 every time this question comes up I'm sorry for that... but I think it really does works that good. It doesn't shock your electrical system with a huge current spike like a relay clicking on and off. It gradually turns the fan off and on as needed and maintains the temp better.

If $125 keeps my fan spinning and never lets me down than I'm happy :)

If you find a nice relay setup make sure you post a link so others searching can see it..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fan wiring question

Reply #13
I'll do up a drawing to get us started this weekend.  On the road now in texarkana tx.

it would be nice to have a solution to those 2.3 specific controllers, especially since my oldest is still wanting a tc.

Fan wiring question

Reply #14
I still can't find the fan relay! :mad:  I have tried following the wiring harness back into the main harness and I am just am not sure what I am looking for or where it is located. I'll try looking again when the rain lets up here, but that could be another week.

The relay wiring diagram would be great to have as a backup, just in case there is a problem with the factory setup. I have a few of those just lying around. So far including the cost of the car, a new timing belt, hoses, radiator, fuel pump, spark plugs and wires, rotor and cap, I have about $550 into it. Spending $125 for one part isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Thanks for the help, I'm gonna need it:drink:

Adrain