is there a posi unit for this rear?
what ratio is best for the aod?
what kind of hp can it handle?

thanks walt
87 lx
Baylensman 97 XR7

Re: quickie, 7.5 rear

Reply #1
Yes there is a posi for the 7.5, but for the money you would be much better off going and getting an 8.8 that already has posi out of a turbo coupe or an sn95 stang, especially since the 7.5 is a very weak unit that can't handle any real power at all. which ratio is best for the AOD depends on what you want to use the car for, for general all around use, I like 3.73s with 4.10s still being feasable on a daily driven car, but that's pushing it.

Reply #2
there is a posi unit, us ford boys call it traction lock though, some cars came factory with it, but you can buy them new

best ratio, it depends on your driving style, and where you drive, but generally, 3.73's

horsepower, depends also, if you go to the track on slicks, itll break quicker than youd like under big power, but on street tires, under normal traction (or lack there of), itll hold up pretty well, its the initial launches that usually hurt them
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #4
the tbird sports came factory with a trac loc 7.5" rear diff. they can handle some abuse. mine is fine but they tend to fail. ive seen one in a v8 ranger take 3 years of powershifting. like tbirs232 said, its the launches that toast them. you cant realy launch a v8 ranger. it usually happnes at the track with the added traction. if you are making a trip to the bone yard save yourself the time and money and get an 8.8.

as far as ratio, 373s are decent for an aod

as far as how much hp..if your engines a stock 3.8 or 5.0 SO it (7.5 trac loc) should handle those all day long with an AOD.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #5
you can get a ford traction lock for the 7.5 cheaper than the auburn
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #6
cool!  :D

I just punched some numbers in to see what was out there.

Reply #7
My rule of thum is when going some kind of up grade go with whats better for the long run.  U can dump money into the 7.5 if u wish its your money.
But u still have a 7.5  and u will be spending dubble the money when it fails.

For the price of getting parts and having them put into the 7.5 u can get a 8.8 that has amost all u need right off the bat.

8.8 out of a TC with 373 gives u the gear u want the posi U want.
Will be cheaper then getting parts for 7.5 and having them put in.
If u look around u can get used lower arms and box in your uppers.

Now u have something much better for less.

Reply #8
The 7.5 is available like every one said, but I also agree the 8.8 is a much beter choice with 3.73's.  Around here a whole unit out a junkyard is $400.
:birdsmily: Nate Wenck
Carroll IA
nwenck@msn.com
07 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
2003 Ford F-150 Supercrew

Reply #9
I've got a 7.5 locker in mine with the 3.45 gears.I like it so far.It was only $50.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #10
Thought I'd also throw out that '83-'86 T-birds came stock with 7.5" 3.45:1 Traction-Lok rears with Quad-Shocks.

Reply #11
ill sell mine (7.5 trac loc) for 75 plus shipping ;)
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #12
400 is crazy,
87 TC rear end goes for 200 250 here,
If u go to pull it your self yard 100 bucks.

Reply #13
I probably would've went for an 8.8 if it were available in the beginning,but this was my only Locker option.I have an 8.8 in the garage now with 3.55 gears.I'll get it in someday.No hurry.Right now I'm focusing on getting the H.O. finished and in the 'Bird.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..