Skip to main content
Topic: engine build question (Read 864 times) previous topic - next topic

engine build question

hi, since my 351w plans fell thru, im gonna build my 302.  it will need to be bored so it will more likely be a 306.  i am going to use gt40p heads, stock valves,  a roller cam that has around .512 lift and around a 272 duration, 1.6r rockers, mass air, and an auto trans.  please keep in mind money is tight,  it will never see boost or nos. would hyperutectic(sp) pistons be ok to use?  this car will see occasional drag strip runs.
86 t-bird 226k miles and blown transmission

engine build question

Reply #1
thats what the machine shop used for my 306
88 thunderbird, 306 ,E7 heads ported by me, explorer intake, 70mm professional products TB, 8.8 3.73 rear is finally in. 11" front brake upgrade. still need some stuff
some nice weather to work on stuff would be nice ^^^

engine build question

Reply #2
was curious, should i use oe replacements for a 97 5.0 explorer so i dont run into too much compression,  im also worried about piston to valve clearance issues with the gt40p heads, and a mild cam

engine build question

Reply #3
i only ask because i dont want to do this twice,  nor can afford to buy different parts

engine build question

Reply #4
same setup on my engine...mine is carbed, 320 hp, 341lbs of torque...used hyper' pistons, i can find the part # on my build sheet, as well as cam, and probably any other info...v8 demon is also a good source of info to go here.
'83 Cougar *the never ending project* warmed over 306 v8,c4,8.8 posi with 5 lug conversion
'91 mustang strictly street-in progress
'00 f150 7700-Mean Green: jet stage 1 chip,ported upper intake with 1" spacer,'04 Super Duty intake with injectors,summit racing short tube headers with true 2.5" duals with smithy's glasspacks!

engine build question

Reply #5
Be forewarned GT40P headers can be pricey.

engine build question

Reply #6
Quote from: Grumbles;262935
Be forewarned GT40P headers can be pricey.

or you can modify a set of shorty headers
'83 Cougar *the never ending project* warmed over 306 v8,c4,8.8 posi with 5 lug conversion
'91 mustang strictly street-in progress
'00 f150 7700-Mean Green: jet stage 1 chip,ported upper intake with 1" spacer,'04 Super Duty intake with injectors,summit racing short tube headers with true 2.5" duals with smithy's glasspacks!

engine build question

Reply #7
I hear BBK headers work with GT40P heads.