Skip to main content
Topic: undercoat (Read 1042 times) previous topic - next topic

undercoat

I am seriously considering undercoating the lower parts on both doors as well as the trunk lip.  has anyone done this yet, any thoughts on just wiping off the paint with MEK or Acetone and then laying down a layer of undercoating?

i also want to improve the door drain holes and it occured to me i could just get inside the door and fill the crevis with silicone (after its cleaned inside).

this is for the 20th btw

undercoat

Reply #1
i thought someone would have already done this. no biggie, i have a small list of things to finsh up on the 20th.

undercoat

Reply #2
Remove the door panels and get some por-15.
Brush the por 15 in there and your done.

undercoat

Reply #3
havnen't done that exactly , but I used zero-rust on the door bottoms, and seam sealer
First I dipped them to get rid of any rust. it cleaned them inside and out

it left the bottoms pitted from everything that you couldn't see under the paint.

then it was treated with Pickelx and a coat of zero-rust was applied.

Then comes the seam sealer. Gotta make it look factory. ;)
so I taped it off

and applied it. even made the little lines in it

and the finished product that was coated again with zero-rust before installing

seam sealer can also be applied inside the door seam using seam sealer and wearing a rubber glove and your fingers to apply it. I personally wouldn't use silicone for anything on a car. seam sealer is a lot more flexible and paintable and durable. It also doesn't have contaminants that will keep paint from adhering to the car. even if you touch a caulk gun that has been used with silicone for another project, and then touch your car, you can still contaminate the car without knowing. It could haunt any future paint job where you may have touched it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

undercoat

Reply #4
On but off the subject. My seal sealer is cracking and flaking away at the top of my trunk "gutter" (piece in with the water flows after it comes in around the lid). I also have a trunk leaking problem but the seal is good and the lid sits tight. Could the sealer cause that or is it more likely coming from the rear window.
1986 Cougar LS

undercoat

Reply #5
Mine leaked in the trunk corner too.  I re-sealed it and my trunk stopped leaking. The factory stuff only lasts so long. The newer stuff is more flexible too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

undercoat

Reply #6
Quote from: daminc;262354
Mine leaked in the trunk corner too.  I re-sealed it and my trunk stopped leaking. The factory stuff only lasts so long. The newer stuff is more flexible too.

Thank you sir!

Sorry for the Hijack Scott
1986 Cougar LS

undercoat

Reply #7
ok,, you did

zero rust
then
Picklex
then zerorust

then
seam sealer

then zerorust

then ready for paint?

undercoat

Reply #8
no...
clean rust the best you can
pickelx,  (or equal)....... to convert any rust left behind
zero rust,  (or equal)...... to seal it
seam sealer
zero rust, (2nd time optional)
paint
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook