Skip to main content
Topic: Gt40 or Gt40p? Which head to use with stock block? (Read 3112 times) previous topic - next topic

Gt40 or Gt40p? Which head to use with stock block?

Reply #30
i got a complete upper gasket set for 80 bucks, and it came with stem seals n stuff, but the ho heads are different i suppose.......
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Reply #31
The upper kit will still work the same.You're good.When you swap the heads,make sure the mating surfaces of the heads and block are SUPER clean.Take your time and prep everything the right way.Don't get in a hurry,or you may end up doing the job twice.Oh,pics will be needed throughout the process.Sorry,it's the rules.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #32
Yes sir!!!! pics will go up as it gets done, and as i aquire parts......the last thing i want is to go through all this and have to s it all........
[/IMG]

Reply #33
Go back for the cam. Nice job! 85,000 get the block.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #34
The short block would be nice if it fits your budget.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #35
The E7TE, is on the underside of the head.
Mike

Reply #36
Quote from: vinnietbird;262304
If the heads came from a Mark VII,they will work fine on your 5.0,even if your car doesn't have valve reliefs.As long as you're using the H.O cam,no worries.

Don't forget the 88 and up Mark VIIs came with E7 heads. The 86-87 Mark VIIs with a HO came with the same py E6 heads these cars had stock ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #37
you can also get the heads off a fuel injected 5.0 ford truck and 91-93 cougars/thunderbirds as well as any 87-95 mustang. I would be looking at explorers if I was going to do a whole engine. Just drop it in and slap your timing cover on and go.Better heads, intake, and should be the same basic block as a mustang. Then you just need the cam.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #38
I already have the cam, gt40 intake (non tubular im betting), 1.7 rockers, and lifters on the way as we speak, the hedders are getting sandblasted and powdercoated, the valve covers are getting polished, and the intake will be painted or polished...... the only things i need now are the computer and injectors.........(and install all this stuff) the new thread will be on the way as soon as my parts are gathered, so ill keep you posted,.....
On a side note........ actually being able to get out and work on my car has me so pumped,....i think its gunna be pretty sweet!!!! the last time i drove it, it had a bad trans that slipped in every gear, has a really leaky ps pump, burnt valves, dont know how many yet, taken aprt dash and mismatched fenders and colors...hell.... i couldnt even get the tire to spin on a rainy day,.... i know driving the car is going to put the biggest cheesiest smile on my face,.........
i cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/IMG]

Reply #39
Maybe a tranny is in order too?

Reply #40
already have one.......:shakeass: with Bout 27k on it.....,..... i know the block would be nice,... but with all the stuff im doing,  the block would probably only go for like 60 bucks,...... a full motor is only $180 with a 90 day warranty........ so maybe sometime down the rooad, illl just pick one up, for parts or sale ...... idk....
[/IMG]