Skip to main content
Topic: Gt40 or Gt40p? Which head to use with stock block? (Read 3111 times) previous topic - next topic

Gt40 or Gt40p? Which head to use with stock block?

Reply #15
If you are going to run GT40P heads don't run them with the stock SO or HO intake. I ran my engine for a year with the stock HO upper and I didn't realize how much power it choked off till I put a GT40 intake on.

If you are just going to put GT40P heads on a stock SO engine I wouldn't bother. The rest of the system is a bottle neck and the heads will not make any more power than what you have. Plus I'm really not sure if the valves will clear the stock T-bird pistons. You'd have to set up everything, get your valve timing correct, and then clay it to make sure it clears.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #16
Well I'm not busting your balls, just curious. I want to get a pretty good engine built here and I'm no engine pro. I just haven't had the experience some of you have had thats why I ask. If you prefer I could build an engine and complain when it didn't work? I wouldn't want to bust your balls.

Reply #17
Quote from: V8Demon;261891

Tom (TurboCoupe50) had an aftermarket head 5.0 TC with the SD ECU.  I can't remember if he had a cam in that particular car or not....

Naahhh wasn't any cam in that motor, increase HP by removing frictional losses... :hick:

OK, it had a stock HO cam, Windsor Jr heads, ported HO intake(had been cut and rewelded), a 65mm TB, BBK 1515 headers into a X pipe and full 2 1/2" exhaust sysem... The car had a Ford racing Mass Conversion, but run about the same on a '88 SD Stang EEC... Was peppy, but no match for my Trick Flow headed & cammed 5.0... To be fair, it only had a stock torque converter and 3:55 gears, but even at 3K, it still didn't pull anything like my car...

Reply #18
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;262073

OK, it had a stock HO cam, Windsor Jr heads, ported HO intake(had been cut and rewelded), a 65mm TB, BBK 1515 headers into a X pipe and full 2 1/2" exhaust sysem... The car had a Ford racing Mass Conversion, but run about the same on a '88 SD Stang EEC...

As long as you don't change the stock HO cam out and use heads that the stock 19lb injectors can handle (ie your combo doesn't make over ~300 hp-ish) SD will run fine with those mods. I ran my combo with SD for a year but the idle problems were starting to bugg me so I switched to MAF. Runs much better now ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #19
He said he was going carb, that's why I asked what he's running now. since it's an SO, Ho conversion would be the best swap for now. with the E cam your going into dangerous territory with e-7 heads let alone gt-40's.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #20
He should run the stock HO cam over the e cam for other reasons I stated above anyway....

One day I'll fashion a lamp out of an e-cam...
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #21
Quote from: V8Demon;262186
He should run the stock HO cam over the e cam for other reasons I stated above anyway....

One day I'll fashion a lamp out of an e-cam...

Does that mean you want to buy mine? I can send an extra lamp shade with it! lol
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #22
Perhaps :hick:

It WOULD be the best use of an e cam...LOL!
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #23
Quote from: V8Demon;262190
Perhaps :hick:

It WOULD be the best use of an e cam...LOL!

It runs great in mine, I will see how much it didn't soon.

Reply #24
Well, thanks I guess?

Reply #25
ok, so iwent to the jy in search of some heads, And the only car i could find with a 5.0 in it was a lincoln mark. i dont know whick Vii or whatever..........most of the top end was gone , well fuel rails, injectors, tb, and intake nameplate........well,,,,, i feel like a moron, cause i just saw t bird guy trying to sell his mark, And it has an HO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got the wrong heads!!!!!! I think...... the block i got the heads from had valve relifes on the pistons, so they definately wont work on my block huh? I only paid $55 for both headsd with rods, rockers, and hedders, and some cool aluminum valve covers. If i could get some more info on what cars i can find the rest of the ho stuff in, that would be awsome!!! i dont get paid for another week, so i have some time to scrounge,if any one has some ho stuff for sale for a reasonable price, please let me know, you can post here or pm mme.... oh yeah, the heads i got only had 85k on the motor, so i might go pick the cam out of it too, ....pics and update later on......
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Reply #26
Well now all you need is the short block. Check the cast numbers on the heads, should say something around the lines of E7TE.

Reply #27
the only numbers i can find are 9k10
[/IMG]

Reply #28
If the heads came from a Mark VII,they will work fine on your 5.0,even if your car doesn't have valve reliefs.As long as you're using the H.O cam,no worries.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

the heads i got......

Reply #29
pics up now, these are the heds i got, its only a pic of the casting numbers and the hedders n valve covers.....
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
 ill post up some more when everythings all cleaned up!!!!!!!
[/IMG]