Skip to main content
Topic: My $200 '88 Cougar..she's so purty! (Read 1560 times) previous topic - next topic

My $200 '88 Cougar..she's so purty!

Hi all, I'm new to both the forum and as a Cougar owner.  (Please be gentle..lol) 

I actually lucked into my Cougar because the original owner..(yep, I'm the 2nd owner), was going to sell her to a kid that had no appreciation for older vehicles.  All he wanted was to donk her and make her into a lowrider.  I couldn't let that happen because this car was just too cherry, too purty, and only cost $200.00. :D 

She's got all original parts with one exception: the window toggles in the center console didn't work, so a new additional pair was installed right below the original pair.  She runs great but does have some mechanical issues that need to be addressed: driver's auto lock doesn't work, digital speedo is off and bulb behind it needs replacing, full tune up because only the basic fluids and maybe an air/oil filter have been done since original purchase.

Structurally there doesn't seem to be too much work to be completed: the dash has a 3'' crack across the top, center console is slightly askew due to mechanical repair, both visors have small 1.5'' tears, trunk needs a new seal, and there are 3 areas of rust that need addressing.

Anywho..here are the pics of my baby.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~In less enlightened times, the best way to impress women was to own a hot car. But women wised up and realized it was better to buy their own hot cars so they wouldn't have to ride around with jerks. ~
--Scott Adams.--

~Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you? But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window. ~
--Steve Bluestone.--

Reply #1
Nice steal for $200
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #2
very nice!!!! whats are your future plans for it?
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Reply #3
Quote from: Chooglin;261637
very nice!!!! whats are your future plans for it?

Thanks!  Future plans? Well I'd like to restore her..I mean I've got big eyes and may have taken on more than I can handle since I'm not a mechanic and have only assisted (handed tools..lol) in other restos, but I'd really like to try my hand at it and do her some justice. Although I want to fix everything NOW, I know the engine repair comes first and foremost.  After that, its basically all cosmetic stuffs (headliner, dash crack, rust repair, and paint job).  Finally, I'd really like to put her in a show..just for snots and giggles.

That is the fairytale version..the financial reality version..its not going to happen overnight and I'll just need to exert a little patience and take it one step/item at a time and do it right the first time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~In less enlightened times, the best way to impress women was to own a hot car. But women wised up and realized it was better to buy their own hot cars so they wouldn't have to ride around with jerks. ~
--Scott Adams.--

~Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you? But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window. ~
--Steve Bluestone.--

Reply #4
Nice buy!

Would you mind telling me what you meant by:
All he wanted was to donk her and make her into a lowrider.
I understand the lowrider part. But, WTF do you mean donk?
Lead me. Follow me. Or get the F#CK outta my way!

1988 Cougar
(the $360 beater)

Reply #5
pleasure's Cougar, Welcome and thanks for bringing another cougar back to our forum Lady. :oldcougar: :D

Reply #6
Quote from: sirius;261646
Nice buy!

I understand the lowrider part. But, WTF do you mean donk?

some ghetto gangsta shizzle, fo sho.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #7
:(
:cougarsmily:5.0 HO, E303 cam, Exploder/Cobra intake, smog pump delete, Ford Taurus electric fan, MAF conversion, BBK headers, MAC 2.5" off-road exhaust w/x-pipe, AOD w/shift kit, 8.8 Trac-Loc rear w/disc brakes, 5-lug conversion w/'98 Mustang GT 17" wheels, Mach 1 springs:cougarsmily:

Reply #8
QUOTE=sirius;261646]Nice buy!

I understand the lowrider part. But, WTF do you mean donk?[/QUOTE]

donked means taking a beautiful classic car and pimping it to the nth degree..funky colors, truly oversized tires, and basically taking it far far away from its original beauty. 

[
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

--Scott Adams.--

--Steve Bluestone.--

Reply #9
actually donk is a sub-style within that style.  it depends on the car.  i cant remember what donks were, but boxes are the 2 that are posted and the a 96 impala would be called a bubble.  i THINK the orange car is a donk, and the green is a box.

but enough of that ghetto fab .  a donk is a donk.  i was behind the highest lifted car i've ever seen in my life.  the green one has the huge rims but it looks lowered compaired to what i drove under.  yes i was behind him in traffic.. got to thinking... stuck the nose of my bird, at stock ride height, under the rear bumper. im talking the hood was under the bumper and i ALMOST hit some  under the car with the header panel tho.

The pleasure is obviously ours that this cougar isnt going to be DONKED.  FTW TYVM
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

Reply #10
Sorry for hijacking this thread. I did not know that people willingly spend money to destroy their cars in that fashion. Further, I do not want to know how you found the websites hosting such blasphemous pics. [/hijack]
Lead me. Follow me. Or get the F#CK outta my way!

1988 Cougar
(the $360 beater)

Reply #11
lol..no worries..everyone gets a lil jacked once in awhile.  As far as knowing where to find the pics..all I did was ask my 16y/o son.  He has friends that have donked/ruined their cars, so he's pretty well thinking its 'cool'.  I on the otherhand am hijacking his young mind and having him help me restore the Cougar so he'll get an idea that learning to drive and owning a car doesn't mean he gets behind the wheel to drive to the local oil change shop.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

--Scott Adams.--

--Steve Bluestone.--

Reply #12
24" rims have no place on a fox body anything. i think thats basis for getting dragged out in the streets and stoned.

Reply #13
Quote from: 86XR7project;261729
24" rims have no place on a fox body anything. i think thats basis for getting dragged out in the streets and stoned.

x2 :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin:
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #14
yeah, I cant stand donk'd stuff.  I actually had a guy tell me my truck was a donk and I'm like no way man, I lowered mine, not lifted :(  (truck in sig) but I'm glad your gonna save it!  Although, whenever I take my turbocoupe to a car show, virtually nobody looks at it

88 t-bird tc - 14.97 @ 90  IHI 18 psi + k+n filter...so far - NOW HX-35 @25psi - 12.75@112    348rwhp/395rwtq
78 F-150 - 11.61@120 on 175shot N20 - 12.55@110 on motor - 5200# race weight:hick: