Skip to main content
Topic: east coast tbird/cougar parts (Read 2040 times) previous topic - next topic

east coast tbird/cougar parts

i just left the "parts for sale" section in this forum and i have a question for you east coast guys. is it really that difficult to find tbird/cougar parts in the wrecking yards over there? i mean, from some of the comments that i read regarding availability and pricing is outrageous. im not trying to kid you here,but the availability in the western kentucky area is finally starting to slow down . a little. not as many tc's as the east coast[usually picked clean by the time i make it there],but v8 cars arent that difficult to come by. i have seen at least 3 or 4 of the 5000 30th anni tbirds in the yards over the last 10 years. an uncountable number of "fila" birds and even a few 30th cougars. man, i need to check out the wanted list a little more often. "thars gold in them thar hills".
 to start a different subject,i would just like to say,its great to be a member of these forums. i have gained much knowledge over the last few years. thanks to eric coolcats for his excellent web sight. actually,there are a number of the people,whose names i cant recall at this time,whose sights were instrumental in my project.
 saying thankyou somehow doesnt say enough.
                                30thtbird

Re: east coast tbird/cougar parts

Reply #1
I think it depends on the area in which one lives.  For example, I live in western NC and the town is pretty small.  There is a yard less than a mile away from where I work that has at least five fox 'Birds in it right now.  Two are almost completely intact '87 TC's.  The parts are super cheap there.  There are a lot of yards around where I live that are similar.  But in bigger cities I guess the yards have to get rid of the older stuff to make room for the new a lot quicker than they do around here.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #2
Well,our cars aren't exactly young anymore.More and more of them are being crushed at the yards to make room for the newer sheetmetal coming in.Luckily around where I live,a lot of the yards try to keep older cars around just because no-one else does,which means a larger customer base.I'm going to the salvage yard.See ya.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
There are none in any yard within 100 miles of here (unless they got some over the winter). Because cars rust so fast here, and because most of a wrecking yard's business comes from insurance jobs, they don't keep older iron.

I've been looking for an 87-88 Turbo Coupe parts car for about 5 years and have yet to find one...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #4
Exactly, in eastern canada with the salt in the winter,forget about it.
I haven't seen a fox t-bird or cougar in any of the yards out here for at least a year!

Reply #5
just a the local pick and pull 2 weeks ago to pick up some interior trim. probally about 30 cars all told 84-90 cougar and t-birds this is south west florida.
Baylensman 97 XR7

Reply #6
You're in the Tampa area.. that's just plain ol' west Florida. :D

Reply #7
sorry it took so long to get back to you guys. yeah,the salt is killer anywhere you go.hopeflly the little woman will finally let me get my computer hooked in soon. once that happens,i would be willing to give a look in the local yards to find things you might be needing.i wont even knock the price up any.i dont think i could ship anything,but im willing to try to hook you up.after all,i might need something from over that way. by the way,my brother is trying to sell his 88 tc. has an 86 engine and turbo with an automatic. good parts car or needs work to be a driver. right now ,the only way to get in touch with me is snail mail.  write to 30th tbird  71 south gardengate drive  henderson ,ky.42420. sorry about the wait.