Skip to main content
Topic: Smog pump delete belt length (Read 5578 times) previous topic - next topic

Smog pump delete belt length

******** EDIT *************

78" belt is what is needed to bypass the smog, air, emissions, exhaust, pollution, whatever you want to call it pump.

Kitz is dead on.

Quote from: Kitz Kat;260883
Tie a rope around and measure, I think I used a 78" belt, don't hold that to me though. been a while and it's long gone.

Have my O/R H on now. Capped off the head tube and H- pipe hole.

Now the pump is just running and making a lot of useless noise, well thats all it ever did, but now even worse.

I need actual PROVEN belt lengths. There are a lot of post on here but none with exact lengths on a stock pulley set up.

I am still running EVERYTHING stock, I need to bypass the smog pump now.

JCassity used a 77" I believe but also modded the tensionor. I would like to retain stock location on that if possible. Dont have the means to do too much at school.

I would like to just walk in and say I need XYZ. If not I will start the guessing game. I have an old belt I can cut up I guess.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #1
Tie a rope around and measure, I think I used a 78" belt, don't hold that to me though. been a while and it's long gone.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #2
Quote from: Kitz Kat;260883

You sir are dead on. It is a tight fit but I dont think I could have gone shorter or longer without making it tighter. Thanks

NO MORE WHINING!!!! Now I just need to rip off the pump. Its a littl cold out so that can wait.

As for the vac lines. How should I cap those?

Changing the title for easier search and info reference.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #3
I believe there is only 1. stick a bolt in it.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #4
Quote from: Kitz Kat;260909
I believe there is only 1. stick a bolt in it.

I was just going to cap them off at the tree. There are 2 little ones, size of ball point pen ink cartridge.

Can I just cap off the hose going into the tree completely? I thought something else was on there. Ill have to look again.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #5
I think your talking about about the egr solenoids. are they colored lines?

Reply #6
Quote from: Kitz Kat;260914
I think your talking about about the egr solenoids. are they colored lines?

White, black. I know the one is white for sure. The black one I had to replace and just grabbed one off my parts car so Im not sure if that was the original color.

Going to run down and look at it now.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #7
you dont have to remove the smog pump on the 5.0

even on the 3.8, you just remove the pully (3 bolts) and the plastic fan behind the pully(pops off).  That leaves everything on as dead weight but inspection worthy for those states that require the units.  Its an easy reverse conversion for inspection purposes.

Reply #8
I ran my belt like the top one

I know i dont need to take it off but there is no need for it to be there. extra weight and its ugly. One less thing in the way.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #9
me to, top one.

For the 20th,,,,,,
I decided to leave it on after it occured to me that one day here soon, there probably will be very few examples of fords application on the smog system as everyone is tossing them.  As i learn more and more about how car shows are graded , I have come to understand that the more factory stuff you have in place, the better the overall grade.

As for the white LS in my sig,
I have totally joined the crowed in tossing the 3.8.  If i had the 88 3.8 then perhaps things would have been different and the 4.2 kit being internally balanced would have encouraged me to keep it nearly stock looking as well.

Reply #11
Quote from: Bob;261109
for those searching this thread someday in the future :)

With a 351w block, march underdrive pulleys, and the route on the bottom I used a 86" belt

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=GTR%2D4060860&N=700+0&autoview=sku

If I can get enough people to share what they used (belt size, pulley set up, accessories retained, and routing) list each with a visual ad for reference.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #12
I think I used an 862k6. 86.2" long  I used the smog delete belt routing with the purple belt in the above.  It provided the best belt wrap on the most accessories.
One 88

Reply #13
Quote from: CougarSE;261161
I think I used an 862k6. 86.2" long  I used the smog delete belt routing with the purple belt in the above.  It provided the best belt wrap on the most accessories.

Stock brackets? A/C? It seems to have a better wrap on the WP on the car vs the pic. I do agree that the lower one seems to have a better wrap. I needed the belt ASAP so first solution I hear I took. Now I can hear the leak at the header/Hpipe joint. Threads wore out so the bolt slipped out a little. Going to use a bolt and nut like I had to do on the other side of the same header.

If anyone knows of any other conformed set ups please post them.

SE I am going to be adding yours and Bobs now, and the list starts....
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #14
I just de-smogged mine a couple of days ago using the purple routing. I've heard about problems with the belt rubbing against itself with the green routing when the belt stretches and the tensioner pushes down further. I used an 87" belt so I guess the Mk has different pullies than the T-bird.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)