Skip to main content
Topic: CJ09 Donations - REVISED (Read 5387 times) previous topic - next topic

CJ09 Donations - REVISED

As you are painfully aware by now, the economy is having a major toll on everyone's finances. Charities are getting hit hard too. Since all CJ proceeds go to charity, I thought it would be prudent to help spread the wealth around a bit for 2009 so that we can bring a little light to even more people.

We are still going to continue giving to our regular charities:
- Angels for Animals
- Shriner's
- Sacred Heart Soup Kitchen

This year I would like to add the following organizations:
- Down Syndrome Association of the Valley
- Dachshund Rescue of North America

DSAV is local to me and is a wonderful organization to help families whose members have Down syndrome. Their big show in 2008--held in the same plaza as Cici's Pizza, about a month after our show--raised a whopping $60,000. They then gave $50K to our local libraries to buy books. I can more than likely arrange for a representative of DSAV to speak to us at the picnic on Saturday. Obviously whatever we donate to them is a drop in the bucket compared to what they raise on their own, but believe me, they will definitely appreciate it.

DRNA has representation here in Jerry (daminc) and his wife Sheila. They gave up their Saturday afternoon at CJ08 so that they could rescue a few dachshunds and bring them home to NY. It is that kind of dedication that really pulls in the true spirit of CJ. I believe that their efforts should not go unrewarded.

We will have to determine the amounts that each organization gets on Saturday afternoon, after all the monies have been collected. It may not be possible to give in the same amounts as last year, obviously, but we will donate as much as we can.

Also, I would like to ask everyone to bring at least one non-perishable item to CJ09. We can collect the food at the picnic on Saturday, then donate the food to the soup kitchen after the show. This would be in addition to the monetary donation. The soup kitchen can really use both, believe me.

As a personal note, I refuse to let the state of the economy have any bearing upon what I can give to those that need help. We know that it's tough for everyone, but now is the time to do MORE because of so many people that now have LESS. We have the ability and the opportunity to do more and so I think that we should. No, I EXPECT that we should.

If anyone has any objections to this plan, or would like to support it, please speak up now. Otherwise we're going to surge forward with this.

Thank you!
-Eric

Countdown to Dan....3...2...1...and...

CJ09 Donations - REVISED

Reply #1
I absolutely support it Eric.

I love the addition of the DSAV.  This too ties in personally for me, as I have a great niece with Downs.

And, I love the idea of donating actual food to the soup kitchen. You are right, everyone needs us to give more now, and many of us, even those who don't have a lot, are lucky enough to be able to give anyway.
The way I see it is, if someone can afford the trip to CJ, they should be able to afford a can of food to add to the box. ;)

Hey Eric, I have a question... kind of a rhetorical one, if you will..... did you ever think that CJ would turn out to be such a success and become the catalyst for so many donations and helping others through love of these cars?
:cougarsmily:~Karen~

CJ09 Donations - REVISED

Reply #2
That's a great idea with the food donation. I'm going to hit up everybody I know before I come to Catjam this year. I also support any donation ideas that we have to help others.
This years plan is to go to the Dachshund picnic early to help set up.
And then come back to our picnic and go to the car show if it's still the same night.
Unfortunately we didn't make it back in time for the Catjam picnic last year. We didn't realize it took an hour to get there, and another to get back. So we're planning things a little different to be there this year.

I believe, the little guy that came back with us last year, now lives in a penthouse apartment in downtown Toronto. :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

CJ09 Donations - REVISED

Reply #3
Thanks guys, appreciate the comments.

Hey Eric, I have a question... kind of a rhetorical one, if you will..... did you ever think that CJ would turn out to be such a success and become the catalyst for so many donations and helping others through love of these cars?

I had always hoped it would turn out that way, actually, as far as the donations. Basically I've never known what it's like to be in a car-based organization and NOT give to charity. So I just took what I new and applied it to us. Simple, really. I'm just fortunate that the people who attend CJ also feel the same way.

CJ09 Donations - REVISED

Reply #4
Eric,

Is the plan to collect donations when we pay for CJ registration or is there another way to handle this? Plus count us in on donating someway or somehow also. :D

Dan and Paula ;)

CJ09 Donations - REVISED

Reply #5
We'll still be doing the donations as normal but we ask that the canned/boxed food be brought to CJ, I am assuming the picnic, and turned in there.
I know that Eric also had people send donations through PayPal last year, since they were not able to attend but still wanted to donate something.

I will still be holding the auction as usual.

CJ09 Donations - REVISED

Reply #6
I was wandering what all to aspect at cj.I want to come up on saturday.would it be a problem if I brought my dogs a boxer and a dachshund let me know
Aaron

CJ09 Donations - REVISED

Reply #7
I don't think dogs are allowed at the park.
However, you can expect to meet some great people. We have a really nice picnic, good food and friends. We put on a chinese auction, in which you can purchase tickets to win prizes, we also give away door prizes.
Afterward we go to a car show.

At the park everyone hangs out, checks out each other's cars, talk... things like that. It's  a really good time.

CJ09 Donations - REVISED

Reply #8
I plan on being there saturday too after 4pm (boss wont let me take saturdays off) will be my first CJ also.
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost

CJ09 Donations - REVISED

Reply #10
Thanks for letting me know bout the dogs. I will look for a kennal to watch them.just wasn't sure so I asked hope to be there looking forward too it.

CJ09 Donations - REVISED

Reply #11
I'm willing to donate to whatever charities are deemed needing them. So what ever charities we are helping, I'm in!!

CJ09 Donations - REVISED

Reply #12
So where are the honest responses? I'm kinda shocked that everyone is cool with this. I honestly believe that if there are objections, they won't be presented for fear of persecution by Eric or others in the community.

I think words like "EXPECT" are a bit harsh when used with words like "DONATE", which implies "VOLUNTEER".

Consider my position more neutral at this point, but I honestly don't think you're going to get any objections. Who the heck wants to look like they're too stingy to "DONATE"?

And if you make people feel bad about it, and they don't show up because money is tight, or they just don't like the idea of being "strongly encouraged" to donate, then you've effectively chosen the type of person you want in the Cat Jam community. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I've always felt that the strongest values of Cat Jam were the community and the car. With this directive, those values seem to be changing.
"1FSTCAT" - 87 Mercury Cougar XR7, 5 Speed, Powerdyne Supercharger.

"NTRCPTR" - 91 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - 460 POWERED. 14.15 @ 97 MPH, untuned.

CJ09 Donations - REVISED

Reply #13
Ed, this is my quote, emphasis mine:

Quote from: EricCoolCats
As a personal note, I refuse to let the state of the economy have any bearing upon what I can give to those that need help. We know that it's tough for everyone, but now is the time to do MORE because of so many people that now have LESS. We have the ability and the opportunity to do more and so I think that we should. No, I EXPECT that we should.

My opinion only. It's okay to not agree with my opinion. That's why I marked it as a personal note. EXPECT simply means that I hold people to a little higher standards based upon past behavior. I'd LIKE everyone to think the same way, but we all know that it doesn't work like that.

If anyone cannot give a donation, or doesn't want to give, then that is acceptable. It's happened before and I'm sure it will happen again. I don't mark off anything stating who gave what; there is no running tally of that sort. It can be purely anonymous also.

Does it seem like I'm giving pressure? Because that's never my intention and if it was construed that way, I apologize now.

But you and I both know, Ed, that CJ goes well beyond the cars that are driven to it. The overlying spirit is that we do a little more to help others IF WE CAN. Some people can't. Those that can will make up for those that can't, and then some. I'm not particularly worried about that based upon past shows. However, if everyone that shows up gives nothing, we haven't exactly helped anyone either. It's a two-way street.

CJ09 Donations - REVISED

Reply #14
I don't want there to be any misunderstandings here.

There is no reason for anyone to feel badly if they can not donate. Some can and others can't...no one is going to be looked down upon if they can't.
I personally have not been able to donate much more than time and the energy it takes to get the things together for the auction. I have 5 kids, my son's girlfriend and a grand child on the way. Needless to say things are tight. They always have been and probably will be until the kids are grown and out of the house.

As for brining a can of food, and me stating that if you can afford to come to C you should be able to afford a can of food....think about it. A single can of food can cost $.50 to $1.00 (sometimes more, sometimes less). I look at it as being a very small amount in the big scheme of things. No one is going to go broke because they bought a can of food to give away.

Every year we get a huge amount of donations.... it's amazing when we count it up and realize how giving people are.  We realize the cost of gas, hotels, food etc for the weekend and still people give a lot!
We've been fortunate that the past few years we have been able to give so much to the community from it. It's really appreciated.

I don't think Eric meant "expect" in a derogatory way. I think he feels like I do about it..... as I explained above. But I do think he meant that if we are blessed enough to be able to do it, we all should. Even when we think we don't have very much, it's always more than what someone else has.

No one is being forced to donate.... no one will be made to feel like they aren't welcome if they don't or can't afford to donate.

You are correct, the community is a strong value of this get together. Since we are all part of that community, we should reach out to the community and help if we can. It doesn't have to be a large amount...it's not like we are sending in hundreds of thousands of dollars to these causes.... it's a couple hundred dollars, but every little bit really helps them, and they appreciate it very much.

If anyone has any objections they can feel free to speak up about it...that's why Eric asked. This is a group effort and we as a group make the decisions.
I realize it's a much smaller group who actually count and divide the monies up as to where it will go, but it's still a group decision. This is also why Eric asks for volunteers for the various committees.

There is a lot of work and responsibility going into this get together every year. Eric bears the majority of it and for a long time, he did it all on his own. It took several of us to talk him into accepting help in doing it all.
I feel he does a great job at it all. He doesn't have to do it at all, but he does. I for one and grateful for that.
I don't think he is pushing the envelope by asking for donations to help out those less fortunate than many of us.