Skip to main content
Topic: Leaded Fuel (Read 2493 times) previous topic - next topic

Leaded Fuel

When I started screwing with 5.0L Fords in 1995...leaded gas was a big no, no and would burn up O2 sensors. My question is..
When building a drag racing combination (I.E. High compression engine) how do you still run the FI system and leaded race gas without eating O2 sensors???

Any input appreciated...

Leaded Fuel

Reply #1
It's not so much that it hurts O2 sensors, it's that it destroys catalytic converters. I'd imagine the race cars running leaded gas simply don't have cats.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Leaded Fuel

Reply #2
The lead will foul the o2 sensors, but it takes a few tank fulls before it happens... Catalytic converters are damaged quicker than the o2 sensors...

Leaded Fuel

Reply #3
Why do you need leaded fuel is it for compression because you can get high octane unleaded

Leaded Fuel

Reply #4
You don't need lead in gas, with todays valves, back in the the day yeh . If your  goin full race might as well run race gas.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Leaded Fuel

Reply #5
I realize that leaded gas is not required for a newer engine...why insult me. I was wanting to know if it harmed the O2 sensors...I wanted to build a High Compression 331 (and if someone says "why 331, a 347 is the same price, I will spam you) and wanted to know if the FI would be capable of handling it.

True High Octane gas 114 Octane cannot be achieved without the tetra-ethyl lead additive to support the fuel mixture.

I know there is high octane unleaded, it is just not that easy to purchase 99 octane VP unleaded 101...it's not like it is available everywhere. If I became a distro, that may be different, but why. I could just use turbo blue leaded and be done with it.

That's all. Thanks for the 100 questions...and insulting me, I'll let you get back to answering how to put an 8.8 in a sport or how to add some gaudy 80's ground effects to your clapped out 86 3.8 LX.

Leaded Fuel

Reply #6
Wow! Whine and complain much?  You ask a question -- a very broad and generalized one -- and some people try to help you and in doing so another suggestion is offered......

The only insulting I see here is being performed by you.  Get off your high horse.  If you knew as much as your attitude let on, you wouldn't have even needed to ask the question to begin with now would you?

I'll let you get back to answering how to put an 8.8 in a sport or how to add some gaudy 80's ground effects to your clapped out 86 3.8 LX.

Everybody's gotta start somewhere.  Seems you've forgotten that.  Insulting the community that shares your enthusiasm for these cars is just plain silly.  If your going to be that way then why bother asking a question or even being a member here?

and if someone says "why 331, a 347 is the same price, I will spam you

Have an argument with some sbftech.com people as well, did we?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Leaded Fuel

Reply #7
As far as I knew, leaded gas was A: mostly unavailable, and B: illegal to use at 99% of motorsports events now..?

My dad hauls alcohol and gas, and very occasionally used to haul leaded race gas, before NASCAR stopped using it.

In a modern engine, there's absolutely NO gain with using leaded gas.
But...if you gotta have the "lead" for valve protection, etc, or for use in an older engine, there's a product we use for our tractors, that we mix in with the fuel. I don't wanna advertise on a public forum, and I can't remember offhand what the name is right now anyway...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Leaded Fuel

Reply #8
Calm down man no one knew you knew all there was to know, it wasn't anyones intent to insult you but when you insult someone's ride because they haven't spent as much on their car or because it isn't as nice.........Well thats just being an a$$hole.

Leaded Fuel

Reply #9
Quote from: Lightningbird;257424
I will spam you

Oh noes! Whats next? A nasty email?!

What kind of compression are you talking about? I know many 12:1 engines running 93 octane pump gas, granted its with aluminum heads, which dissipates heat more quickly lessening the likelihood of detonation. Running a colder plug also helps reduce the amount of heat stored in the plug to reduce detonation.

You asked a simple question, got a few simple answers. If you were more specific into the why aspect of what you were asking, you may have gotten much better answers.

I can tell you, keep the attitude, and most people will turn their backs completely.
It's Gumby's fault.

Leaded Fuel

Reply #10
I never insulted anyone here I was trying to help. I have know idea who you are or what you do just like most here. One day id like to go to cat jam to meet people here and see them and learn there real personality. Iv learned a lot about our cars from this site a loan.
Now you ask a brood question and I eliminated an easy answer that’s it. You just had to say that’s not it, and that you were aware of that, that’s it. Don’t treating to spam me and insult our stupid conversations, because that’s why where here to help each other and we enjoy our cars/common interest. period…

Leaded Fuel

Reply #12
Quote from: JeremyB;257557
347>>331

e-mail me at ragingmullet@eadmotorsports.com

:rollin: :rollin: :rollin:
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Leaded Fuel

Reply #13
Haha, I'd do the 347 but thats my opinion. You aren't gonna light me up are you?

Leaded Fuel

Reply #14
Muhaha-Muhaha.....

I may have been a bit rash in reacting the way that I did, but it seems that every time that I have asked a question on the board lately that all the Johnny Come Lately's want to answer my questions with sarcasm or down right idiotic answers.

READ THE QUESTIONS FULLY BEFORE REPLYING!!!

This board used to be about all of us helping each other out cause you had a car that was the best street car available and there was no technical support. The fox body cougars and birds were overlooked as a nice street ride but with the assistance of one another on this board they became recognized as a nice alternative to a Fox Mustang. I would like to think we all had something to do with that.

I left the question vague to avoid this whole situation. It was not so vague that people did not know what I was talking about.

When I brought up that I wanted to build a 331 a few weeks ago....all the replies said build a 347 (blah, blah, blah), visit sbftech, (blah, blah, blah). I really did not appreciate my thread being jacked by someone who most likely does not know how to stage a car in the lights, let alone the differences of a 347 to a 331. Not to say everyone here is a knucklehead, cause they are not. If I am lucky enough to get a reply that is awesome, I will always take Innes', Thunder Chicken's, Tom's, Eric's or Chuck's advice over all (no offense to everyone else, but I think they know where I am coming from, we have lots of T-Shirts!!!). Just answer the question if you know it.

I am certainly going to read every reply and take them into consideration. I will never reply in your post with the same information you posted just to make you look like an ass. That is called disrespect.

Hell NO, I have never claimed to know any more than the average person on here. I would say I have quite a bit more experience but, I will always take the time to fully read your questions, answer it, if it is something that I know, and explain what I mean. Not just post something to see how many posts that I can get in a month.

I was attempting to get an answer to something I did not know, and maybe did not understand what you fellas were attempting to say, so it may be an error on my part. SO take it as you want, I apologize if I offended anyone here by saying you have a clapped out or cheap project or if it seemed like I was an arrogant asshole.
Yes, I know you have to start somewhere, cause we all did. I just try to ask questions that I do not know or have not already been posted before. (Hello, search function!!!)
I was just stating the typical question on the board!!! How many times have you answered the 7.5 to 8.8 swap questions or where the fuel pump is located or how to swap digital clusters ect......

I honestly wanted to know if leaded fuel was an alternative if running the FI, and reasons why not if it cannot be. If you want to keep ragging, keep going...I really do not care. I just think that you guys deserved an explanation of why I went left field.

I have been on this and the other board since 2002 and am sure that you guys that know me, would not think that I just go left field for nothing!!!

Dallas