Skip to main content
Topic: Iam the new boy! And here is my 88 Cat! (Read 4003 times) previous topic - next topic

Iam the new boy! And here is my 88 Cat!

Reply #45
Quote from: EricCoolCats;258430
I've been thinking about making Jerry a special "HeliArc Edition" badge for his trunklid.

Hey, it's better than the "Fortified by Pickel-X Edition" badge I'd originally thought up...

LOL
That's funny
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #46
All I was going by is what my Dad was told at the Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Dealership in 1986 & what a brochures said. Sorry, I've never seen a 86 cougar & I was told they were Throttle Body fuel injected or something like that or not true Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI). I did a little history reading on the Cougar about when it first came out in 1967. & something I don't understand is why did the 427 engine put out 390hp, & the 428 only had 335hp & in 1971 the 429 Super Cobra jet had 370hp. I don't understand why Ford built bigger engines with less horsepower. I guess maybe for more Torque.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1988 Cougar XR-7. My parents specially ordered this car with every option accept leather seats in 1988. I bought it from them in 1998 & since then have installed American Racing wheels (still have factory mag wheels in boxes), ceramic coated headers into dual Flowmaster 50 series lers with single into dual stainless tips, 4 row radiator, B&M Transpak, converted to Mass Air with cold air intake, etc..

Reply #47
Quote from: 88cougar;258929
All I was going by is what my Dad was told at the Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Dealership in 1986 & what a brochures said. Sorry, I've never seen a 86 cougar & I was told they were Throttle Body fuel injected or something like that or not true Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI). I did a little history reading on the Cougar about when it first came out in 1967. & something I don't understand is why did the 427 engine put out 390hp, & the 428 only had 335hp & in 1971 the 429 Super Cobra jet had 370hp. I don't understand why Ford built bigger engines with less horsepower. I guess maybe for more Torque.

Smog rules started getting a little tougher to make lots of horsepower and as time went by insurance started catching on to the horsepower game so....... The rest is history.

Reply #48
Insurance rates also, from what I hear a lot of cars were rated lower under the actual output.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #49
Quote from: DVP;259153
Insurance rates also, from what I hear a lot of cars were rated lower under the actual output.

Mainly because the big 3 would make a car with say "370 HP" and it would actually be around "400 HP" which made the insurance rates lower. Eventually they started catching on and sooner or later that practice stopped. Not to mention when the 70's came around and there was the oil crisis little cars became the trend and big v8 horsepower wasn't really needed anymore. So that is the story of the death of the muscle car.