Skip to main content
Topic: '86 Cougar Conv. FS (Read 945 times) previous topic - next topic

'86 Cougar Conv. FS

Reply #1
15,000..........ummmmm wow....is it possible to buy the kits?-dumb question....
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

'86 Cougar Conv. FS

Reply #2
there are no conversion kits.. i do have a receipt with my convertible from the actual company that converted them (Car Craft), and it cost roughly 10 grand for the conversion back in 86..

'86 Cougar Conv. FS

Reply #3
Quote from: massCougarxr7;252991
15,000..........ummmmm wow....is it possible to buy the kits?-dumb question....

All you need is a sawzall and a good imagination. LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

'86 Cougar Conv. FS

Reply #4
that one has been psted for sell before i already have that one dospoogeented.and its the same pepole hmmm ill take $15.000 for mine

any buyers.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'86 Cougar Conv. FS

Reply #5
now how many does this make in existance that we know of?
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

'86 Cougar Conv. FS

Reply #6
I've seen that car for sale before. I think somebody actually posted the ad on this forum. It's pretty, but not $15k pretty.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

'86 Cougar Conv. FS

Reply #7
there are no conversion kits.. i do have a receipt with my convertible from the actual company that converted them (Car Craft), and it cost roughly 10 grand for the conversion back in 86..
Wow! what was the purchase price of the typical stock one? 16 ish? another 10 grand on that is no joke.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

'86 Cougar Conv. FS

Reply #8
Quote from: shame302;253227
Wow! what was the purchase price of the typical stock one? 16 ish? another 10 grand on that is no joke.

like they say a fool and his money soon depart!
better yet, how about the fools that where spending $40,000+ for  TRUCK! LIKE THEY WHERE FOR THE LAST 8 YRS.
remember it easier to fix them, than to find them after they been crushed.

V6 = juvenile delinquency!

'86 Cougar Conv. FS

Reply #9
like they say a fool and his money soon depart!

An '86 LS started at around $16,000 U.S., and the conversion was about $8-10K above that. This is with the PEP package; options could drive the LS to $18K. So the grand total of $24-26K or more for a convertible would rival a loaded Mark VII LSC in price.

But...it was a car that nobody else had. Expensive? Sure. What would our cars cost today, plus a convertible conversion? $40K? More? It's all relative. Remember that these cars were targeted at the late baby boomer generation, more specifically the "yuppies", who made decent money on the stock market. They could easily afford our cars, buying them new.

So thanks to those "fools", we get to enjoy our cars today. ;)

'86 Cougar Conv. FS

Reply #10
well there still fools because i would not spend $10,000 to  make people think ,a car that nobody else had and its  23 years old to boot.
 last time i spent that much on any ride  was my brand new  loaded 1987 stang GT  for $13,500 in late 1986 [/B]
 and to replace my dad truck for 1995 K2500 with 42k miles FOR  $10,500 in 2000
and my 1995F250 with 52K Miles at the time for$9,000 in 2001
 SORRY there a reason they wasn't many made back in the 1986/87. you can call it what you want but i know theres only one word!!!
remember it easier to fix them, than to find them after they been crushed.

V6 = juvenile delinquency!

'86 Cougar Conv. FS

Reply #11
WOW! You have just managed to insult a lot of people with your statements... how rude of you.
Just because you wouldn't pay that much for the car when it was new, doesn't mean others wouldn't have, and enjoyed having them.
The reason there weren't many made in 86/87 was because it was a limited edition! Just like an anniversary edition or any other special edition Cougars out there... they are limited.

I know one particular '86 Vert that could easily go for $15,000 today... it's a beautiful car, well maintained, in pretty much mint condition. I could easily see someone being willing to pay that much for it.  (I also know it's not going anywhere!)

As I said, it depends on the person who is buying it as to how much it is worth to them.... especially on limited editions.
:cougarsmily:~Karen~

'86 Cougar Conv. FS

Reply #12
Quote from: EricCoolCats;253264
An '86 LS started at around $16,000 U.S., and the conversion was about $8-10K above that. This is with the PEP package; options could drive the LS to $18K. So the grand total of $24-26K or more for a convertible would rival a loaded Mark VII LSC in price.

But...it was a car that nobody else had. Expensive? Sure. What would our cars cost today, plus a convertible conversion? $40K? More? It's all relative. Remember that these cars were targeted at the late baby boomer generation, more specifically the "yuppies", who made decent money on the stock market. They could easily afford our cars, buying them new.

This is why I jumped on my car when I did. My 87 cost me about 9 grand at 1 1/2 years old. it was a win-win situation for me. and it was still under ford warranty.
I'm not sure what the true price of an LS was back then.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

'86 Cougar Conv. FS

Reply #13
Quote from: EricCoolCats;253264

And if that wasn't enough for you then you could take a 25k Mark VII and have a convertible conversion done to it. :D
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)