Skip to main content
Topic: Dumb question? (Read 2573 times) previous topic - next topic

Dumb question?

Did our cars ever come with manual window regulators or were they all power. I have yet to see any manual windows and I plan on pulling all of my power window stuff out (excess weight to slow me down)  :yuck: .
Whoa, that was fun!

Dumb question?

Reply #1
don't think so but try using the one out of a fox body mustang 1987/88 year would be best.
remember it easier to fix them, than to find them after they been crushed.

V6 = juvenile delinquency!

Dumb question?

Reply #2
Yes,there were a few with manual windows.There's a Bird ('84 or '85) with manual windows at my favorite yard.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Dumb question?

Reply #3
How hard is it to find Lexan windows for our cars?
Whoa, that was fun!

Dumb question?

Reply #4
I think alot more 83-86 cars had manuels. I had a 86 cat with crank windows and only one mirror.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Dumb question?

Reply #5
I remember many ads for $9999. cougars in 1984.  They were air/stereo cars with few if any other options.  They had manual windows, locks etc.  By 1984 standards air, stereo, and the standard equipment was still considered decently equipped. 

Most of the later years had pw locks etc, but some did not.

Dumb question?

Reply #6
Thunderbirds were available through 1988 without power windows but only on non LX or Turbo Coupe models. Even then it was unusual because if the dealer were ordering it for stock it usually had a PEP (Preferred Equipment Package) added which would have included power windows.
They do exist though and were most likely either ordered as a price leader or for a specific customer that requested it.
At the dealership I worked at we called them “beer can models”.
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Dumb question?

Reply #7
mine are manual.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Dumb question?

Reply #8
Good to know. I keep looking. Thanks all.
Whoa, that was fun!

Dumb question?

Reply #9
I've been looking for them off and on, too.  Got manual seats, so I'm half way there, lol.
1987 TC

Dumb question?

Reply #10
Out of all the manual window cars i've seen, The majority were 83-84.
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Dumb question?

Reply #11
Wonder what the numbers are for how many and year. I've seen both, but you may be right about the 87-8's being lower. I've only seen one 87-8' without power windows.

Dumb question?

Reply #12
are manual windows even that much more lighter? seat tracks are one thing, thats like 20lbs a side. how much lighter is a manual regulator? is it worth the time and money out into finding one and installing it?
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

Dumb question?

Reply #13
Quote from: grutinator;252354
are manual windows even that much more lighter? seat tracks are one thing, thats like 20lbs a side. how much lighter is a manual regulator? is it worth the time and money out into finding one and installing it?

Not really much of a differance there is so much weight in these car that can be removed for more of a gain.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Dumb question?

Reply #14
For me, I just want the manuals so I can lose the center console and wiring.
1987 TC