Skip to main content
Topic: Brake convertion 4 to 5 lug (Read 2949 times) previous topic - next topic

Brake convertion 4 to 5 lug

I have some questions about to convert from 4 x 4.25 to 5 x 4.5.

In front that might be an easy step to use Ford Racing part number M-1102-C which is avalible from summit racing.
I like to have slotted and/or drilled rotors.
My question about the front brake rotors.. The 1993 Mustang Cobra used 5 x 4.5 rotors in the front, but what size? Is it 11" or 13"?
Can brake rotors that will fit Mustang Cobra 1993 be used in this conversion?

The next question is about the rear.
I have 10" drum brakes. Is there any 10" brake drums with pattern  5 x 4.5 which fit the the T-bird on the market or do I have re drill my old brake drums?

I hope for some answers.

Regards
Stefan

Reply #1
The 93 Cobras were 4-lug.

Mk7 11" rotors are the "replacement" 5-lug rotors for the 11" Fox front 4-lug rotors.

What year is your car?  What rear axle?  If you have an 86-88 with the 7.5, you're going to need to have custom axles made.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #2
actually the '93 Cobra-R had 5 lug rotors(94-04 13" brakes). but good luck finding one of those in a junkyard. :)
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #3
Yes, but he said Cobra...not Cobra R...

The 93 Cobra R's just used the std 94-98 Cobra stuff anyway....

Reply #4
Thanks for the responce.
Now I understand the differences between GT, Cobra and Cobra R for the front brakes.

I have a -88 T-bird with an aftermerket 9" rearend.
I will order new axles for it.
Need to step up from 28 splines to 35 splines. The axles I have are twisted.

The question was only, is there any 10" brake drums with 5 x 4.5 that will fit?

Reply #5
IF you  are having rear axles made for your 9 inch, then try rear drums and backing plate off a
1973 to 79 ranchero/
77 TO 79 T-BIRD or LTDII /
74 to 79 cougar/
71 to 73 mustang/cougar
71 to 76 Torino

they come with 10x2 or some have 10x 2 1/2 with bolt pattern 5x4 1/2
remember it easier to fix them, than to find them after they been crushed.

V6 = juvenile delinquency!

Reply #6
Questions from a new member....... (for my 85 T-coupe)

Eventually I hope to use my 429/C6 in the Coupe so it'll need more than the stock 7.5" rear axle. So recently I picked up an 8.8 posi from a 89 Mk7, it has the 5 lug axles, but only one caliper and JUNK rotors.
 Can I convert this over to Ranger/Explorer rear drums? (to match the current master cylinder and valve). Can I keep the disc set-up and use the current master cylinder and ect.? Or will I need to convert to the rear disc master cylinder? The Mk had anti-locks, would that effect a drum conversion?

I was so glad to find the Mk7's 5-lug, 8.8 posi that I never even considered the front rotors could of worked, (missed opportunity) but the Mk's gone now, so I can't retrieve those parts. So, what size is the stock 85 TurboCoupe's rotors and which way is the best/least expensive way to change the front to 5-lug?

Reply #7
I have a set of mk7 stock rotors, calipers, the whole set up
PM if your interested. I removed to upgrade they are in good shape.
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #8
Quote from: FoxCoupe;254911
Questions from a new member....... (for my 85 T-coupe)

Eventually I hope to use my 429/C6 in the Coupe so it'll need more than the stock 7.5" rear axle. So recently I picked up an 8.8 posi from a 89 Mk7, it has the 5 lug axles, but only one caliper and JUNK rotors.
 Can I convert this over to Ranger/Explorer rear drums? (to match the current master cylinder and valve). Can I keep the disc set-up and use the current master cylinder and ect.? Or will I need to convert to the rear disc master cylinder? The Mk had anti-locks, would that effect a drum conversion?

I was so glad to find the Mk7's 5-lug, 8.8 posi that I never even considered the front rotors could of worked, (missed opportunity) but the Mk's gone now, so I can't retrieve those parts. So, what size is the stock 85 TurboCoupe's rotors and which way is the best/least expensive way to change the front to 5-lug?

least expensive for the front would be '83-'92 4 cyl ranger rotors, just buy new tbird bearings.
i'd keep the mk7 stock rear rotors $20 ea, and buy the caliper for the rear
'83 Cougar *the never ending project* warmed over 306 v8,c4,8.8 posi with 5 lug conversion
'91 mustang strictly street-in progress
'00 f150 7700-Mean Green: jet stage 1 chip,ported upper intake with 1" spacer,'04 Super Duty intake with injectors,summit racing short tube headers with true 2.5" duals with smithy's glasspacks!

Reply #9
then he will have small front brakes still.
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #10
but it is THE LEAST EXPENSIVE
'83 Cougar *the never ending project* warmed over 306 v8,c4,8.8 posi with 5 lug conversion
'91 mustang strictly street-in progress
'00 f150 7700-Mean Green: jet stage 1 chip,ported upper intake with 1" spacer,'04 Super Duty intake with injectors,summit racing short tube headers with true 2.5" duals with smithy's glasspacks!

Reply #11
Quote from: 86Tbuzzard;254930
but it is THE LEAST EXPENSIVE

not best and least expensive ;)

I got full mark vii disc set up
cheapppp
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #12
There isn't an off-the-shelf 5-lug rear drum option. 

10" discs in the front and 11.5" rear discs is pretty half-assed.

You'll either need to upgrade to the 11" front stuff and get a different master cylinder and run the rear discs  OR use the tiny front stock brakes and use the rear drums bolted onto the 8.8 and mod the stock drums and run 94-98 Mustang axles.

YOu're going to pay on one end or the other.

If you're dropping in a big block, step up the brakes....

Reply #13
the 11" also requires diffrent spindle's unless you using a 87-88 turbo coupe.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #14
I have full assembly.... w/spindles, rotors, calipers, hoses, pads, and I even have a set of low mile tbird struts!
and ABS masters.... but im not sure that would fit well with a BB
my $300 beater ;)