Skip to main content
Topic: Cougar Exhaust upgrade. (Read 2750 times) previous topic - next topic

Cougar Exhaust upgrade.

just got done swapping the exhaust on the XR-7 today.

Went from this::hick:

Video clip:

to this::burnout: :bowdown:
BBK 1 5/8" long tube headers with BBK 2.5" O/R H-pipe.:D

Clip::evilgrin:

Much better tone.....:D

Cougar Exhaust upgrade.

Reply #1
Nice setup man
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Cougar Exhaust upgrade.

Reply #2
Are you using long wired o2 sensors? If so, could you tell me where you got 'em? Been looking for some myself.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Cougar Exhaust upgrade.

Reply #3
nope, I lengthened the wiring harness (not the O2s sensors wires) back when I converted to true duals, and was lucky enough that I made them long enough for this setup as well....

Cougar Exhaust upgrade.

Reply #4
Nice setup.I almost went with long tubes,but I'm actually glad now that I didn't.I've removed the shorties so many times I can't imagine pulling the long tubes.Was it an easy install?Can you get to the clutch cable easily?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Cougar Exhaust upgrade.

Reply #5
nice man, sounds like mine did. is that the same cougar i shot that burnout video of 2 cat jam's ago?

Cougar Exhaust upgrade.

Reply #6
Quote from: Nate;251169
nice man, sounds like mine did. is that the same cougar i shot that burnout video of 2 cat jam's ago?

yep this is it... and she has come a LONG WAY since then....  it should be wearing a Vortech by next CJ....

the install wasnt too bad.  had to grind the  out of the driverside mount bracket and dimple the tube a bit, but other then that it was ok....  And yes the clutch cable is easy to get to.

Cougar Exhaust upgrade.

Reply #7
Lookin good ron.
Dam you got some leakage goin on there.
Might be interested in that offroad pipe you took of your car,is she banged up at all????
Hard to tell with the pics,2.5"???

Cougar Exhaust upgrade.

Reply #8
Quote from: dominator;251216
Lookin good ron.
Dam you got some leakage goin on there.
Might be interested in that offroad pipe you took of your car,is she banged up at all????
Hard to tell with the pics,2.5"???

Yeah, the cheap cork valve cover gaskets decided to  out I guess....  they are the next thing to be changed...  The h-pipe is 2.5" and is in fine shape (aside from being a bit dirty), thought the driverside O2 sensor hole may need to be tapped to clean up the threads. for some reason it chewed the threads on the o2 sensor.  doesnt really look like it damaged the bung threads though...  $60

Cougar Exhaust upgrade.

Reply #9
What brand is it ron???
Is it aluminized or coated???

Cougar Exhaust upgrade.

Reply #10
unsure of the brand, and it is aluminiumized.  if it was coated I would be asking way more then $60 for it....

Cougar Exhaust upgrade.

Reply #11
It sounds much better now :D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Cougar Exhaust upgrade.

Reply #12
I know what you mean about having to do some work to get your headers to fit. I went throught 4 sets & then decided to specially order my cermaic coated shorty headers directly from Ford becuase Hooker, Headman, flowtech, etc.. does not have a bend in one of the tubes to clear the motor mount. I wish I could run true duals, but with an AOD trans in the way it doesn't work to well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1988 Cougar XR-7. My parents specially ordered this car with every option accept leather seats in 1988. I bought it from them in 1998 & since then have installed American Racing wheels (still have factory mag wheels in boxes), ceramic coated headers into dual Flowmaster 50 series lers with single into dual stainless tips, 4 row radiator, B&M Transpak, converted to Mass Air with cold air intake, etc..

Cougar Exhaust upgrade.

Reply #13
Quote from: 88cougar;251588
I wish I could run true duals, but with an AOD trans in the way it doesn't work to well.

You just need a Mustang h-pipe, Mustangs had aod also. ;)
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Cougar Exhaust upgrade.

Reply #14
yeah, and they DO make long tube headers specifically for the stangs with AODs too...  If long tubes are really what you want.