Skip to main content
Topic: Need a quick answer about studded snow tires (Read 1455 times) previous topic - next topic

Need a quick answer about studded snow tires

This is for my 2006 mustang but that forum isn't loading for me at the moment.  I got taken by surprise by the tire shortage this year, I managed to buy 2 Bridgestone Blizzaks for my car and mount them on the rear but I can NOT find anymore to go on the front wheels.  My Dad who only wants to see me safe is pushing me to install something besides summer tires on the front and he pointed out the Firestone Winterforce which is studdable.  Took some looking but I found them online.

Now the question is, is mixing studded tires with my Blizzaks a good idea for a RWD car and if so which should be in the front?  Hoping to get an answer so I can go ahead and order them.  Thanks.
1983 Thunderbird-302 HO, Holley 650 CFM 4150 DP, Weiand Stealth Intake, Dual-Snorkel Air Cleaner,  Holley Fuel Pump, Procomp HEI Distributor, B&M Holeshot 2400 Converter, Custom 2 1/4 duals with no cats and BBK shorties, Taurus Fan Conversion, FMS Grill, much more to come....

"In the future, I plan on taking more of an active role in the decisions I make" - Paris Hilton

Reply #1
They don't come studded so don't stud them.
We sell them at the cryco dealer i work for and haven't had any complaints as they come without studs so....just use them like that.
They don't need studs it's just optional.

Reply #2
I know I don't have to stud them but anything short of studded tires is pretty much a waste of my money.  The roads here in Calgary are really poorly kept in the winter, mid-grade snow tires are just slightly better than nothing at all.  I figure if I get the studs maybe I'll actually be able to climb hills when I need to.  Or stop when coming down one.  At first glance putting studs on the front would be better for braking but could that throw the car off balance during a stop?
1983 Thunderbird-302 HO, Holley 650 CFM 4150 DP, Weiand Stealth Intake, Dual-Snorkel Air Cleaner,  Holley Fuel Pump, Procomp HEI Distributor, B&M Holeshot 2400 Converter, Custom 2 1/4 duals with no cats and BBK shorties, Taurus Fan Conversion, FMS Grill, much more to come....

"In the future, I plan on taking more of an active role in the decisions I make" - Paris Hilton

Reply #3
but anything short of studded tires is pretty much a waste of my money
thats deffinetly not true.
our other car, an 03 alero really sucked bad in the snow with the tires it had on it, and they were new. i put snow/ice tires all around and it absolutely made me a believer in snow tires. the car is great in the snow and has yet to get stuck.

having different snow tires up front will at the very least be better than the gatorbacks or whatever are on the front and probably wouldnt be much different then the blizaks on the rear.

i would invest in a bladder for the trunk that can hold sand or whatever.

studs are okay, but here you cant use them as much of the year. i wouldnt bother studding tires.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #4
If you must have studded tires put 'em on the back. Even with FWD vehicles the tires with the most traction should always be on the rear. If you have less grippy tires on the rear you could end up swapping ends when hitting the brakes on a slippery surface.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #5
The front of the car still has the Pirelli summer tires it came with stock.  Until I got the Blizzaks a few weeks ago I was getting stuck left and right, that doesn't happen now but on the nastier days you can hit the brakes and keep sliding on and on and on, it's unreal. 

Guess if I get studs they'll go in the rear.  Thanks.

Reply #6
i only use the studed snow on my cars/ trunks  for the last20 yrs and i live in montana but the wife was talk into the blizzak 50 tires on her car couple yrs ago. (wife's never listen to there hubby's)
 what i have found out is both tires work good on ice/snowpack roads. but i like the studs better because if you get stuck or coming up to a stop light and the road is nothing but ice on the road. the studed tires will dig into the ice ,where the blizzak will not. i have the mark's in my concrect drive way to prove it.

if you have  FWD vehicles=
  then you have to put  4snow tires all the way around, no if or buts!!!!!.
 if you have RWD vehicle=
you can get by with 2 on the rear but thats it you only get by and my life is worth all four be cause you want to stop more that you want to go forwards.

in your case put the studed tires on rear and the blizzak on the front. then put about 100lbs of weight(sandbags/rock salt) in the trunk.

but if it was me! get 4 studed tires and sell the 2 blizzak because i still have you canada folk's calling looking for snow tires. so they should be eazy to resell.
remember it easier to fix them, than to find them after they been crushed.

V6 = juvenile delinquency!

Reply #7
i really dont know what to think of everyones opinion on this one, ive made it all winter in my road warrior aka crown vic with only two new tires on the front and the rears are ready to be burnt for one last time. granted i cannot take off in a hurry i sure as hell could turn and brake, and as for swapping ends you just gotta be gentle with the inputs. the 100% traction theory is great. 50% of stop or go only leaves you with 50% traction to turn on. And as for the bladder, ive never liked the idea of adding weight to aid traction, you eventually need to stop that weight.
Current-
87 Cougar
88 Crown Vic LTD
84 Yamaha Xt600

previous cars -
1990 Dodge Daytona -
1990 Geo Prizm -
1987 Honda Accord - 140mph wonder? Rally ready..... K.I.A. at WOT due to massive head failure. Still had the best paint-job EVER...
1998 Suzuki Sidekick 4D -
1969 Falcon Futura w/ Sports Coupe option (now go try and find that? And if you do tell me where it is!!)

The Cougar will never be for sale, Only up for trade on a 68,69 Falcon 2D.

Reply #8
my bridgestones suck in the snow
but down shifting, and shoving it into reverse in a full slid, and having a heavy right foot has made it so ive never been towed.
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #9
shoving it into reverse is the stupidest thing I could possibly imagine someone doing. If you really don't care about your car, or the lives of people around you then go ahead. I've driven bald tires in the snow and never been towed. But I have had to dig myself out once or twice.

It really isn't that hard. You just give yourself more time to brake and expect the unexpected. If someone is sitting right infront of you with there signal on, expect them to turn out infront of you, and plan accordingly. Ive actually had to run red lights because of assholes that can't figure out its slick. About 2 years ago I was sitting stopped at a red light, looked in my rear veiw mirror, and some asshole spun out trying to stop for a red light, and I had to spin my tires and get the car sideways and just barely got out of his way before watching him hit a telephone pole.

everyonce in a while, having a heavy right foot foot can get you out of trouble, but just wait till you learn to depend on it and your car dies.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com