Skip to main content
Topic: Thunderbird Production Numbers? (Read 1155 times) previous topic - next topic

Thunderbird Production Numbers?

Eric's got the Cougar numbers on coolcats, But what about the T-Bird Production Numbers?
Anyone know where to find them?

In the meantime, I'll keep searching.

**Found em:
http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.org/prod_70-04.htm
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Reply #1
Wow.I would thought a lot more Birds were built than that.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
1983-88 Thunderbird production = 885,745
1983-88 Cougar production = 679,759

That's 1.56 million cars over a 6-model-year stretch. The Lorain plant (and the Atlanta plant) was pumping them out at a furious pace. They still sold in those numbers despite being in the middle of an economic recession. Remember that the base price in 1983 was around $8K US; in 1988 it was almost $14K US--steep pricing at the time for luxury sport coupes. AND, 1983 was only a partial model year to boot.

By no means were these cars a failure. The numbers may look low, but most companies would kill for those sales numbers today.

Reply #3
To bad we don't know how many are left.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #4
What happened to you having no information on thunderbird production numbers?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #5
I am surprised at the jump in TC sales from '87 to '88.  The TC must have really made its mark in '87.

Also kinda surprised at how few supercoupes were made...those are pretty bad ass (and apparently rare) with a 5spd.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #6
The 87 TC was the, "Car the Year" and made really big waves in the auto world. I found a book in the borders here in Sydney and it was dedicated to the T-Bird. It had all of the statistics and options as well as the background of the 87 redesign. It was supposed to be a few million to update cause the MN-12 was already completed and just needed tooled. The redesign team leaned on the Ford execs really hard to rob the SVO parts bin for the turbo coupe. Once the execs caved the redesign cost for almost 25 million dollars for a 2 year production run vehicle, but netted them the award winning 87 TC, 88's were unchanged due to costs already incurred in 87.