Skip to main content
Topic: speedo cable needed (Read 652 times) previous topic - next topic

speedo cable needed

i need a speedo cable for an 88 cat/bird that had a 3.8 stock...no idea if 5.0 cable will work or not

speedo cable needed

Reply #1
cmon....nobody?

speedo cable needed

Reply #2
there is no speedo cable, everything is electronic. most likely your speedo sensor is no good.  part store has them.

speedo cable needed

Reply #3
mine has a cable,and its broken...i pulled it out of the trans case,and the internal shaft had busted.

speedo cable needed

Reply #4
hey i just pulled one of my 88 3.8. Your in luck! Well if your talking about the kickdown cable that is...

speedo cable needed

Reply #5
Quote from: sprayin88cat;250725
mine has a cable,and its broken...i pulled it out of the trans case,and the internal shaft had busted.

must be some kind of rare one or converted to something else.

speedo cable needed

Reply #6
If you've got a stock 85-88 cluster you don't have a cable. However there is a speed sensor on the end of the tranny that bolts in where the cable would go, and it uses a speedo gear just like the cable (same part, in fact). The V8 one would be the same as the V6 one, but the speedo gear might be different (different rear end gears between V8 and V6).

If you DON'T have a stock 85-88 cluster and do indeed have a cable you'll need the proper cable for whatever vehicle your cluster came out of. You won't find a listing for a cable for any T-Bird or Cougar newer than 1984 because they all used electronic speedometers regardless of engine/tranny (including MN12).
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

speedo cable needed

Reply #7
Uh, weren't the rear end ratios the same between the v6 and v8 models, at least in 87 and 88?

speedo cable needed

Reply #8
Wasn't this the Cougar that was for sale on here, not to long ago?  Can't remember if it had custom guages or not. :hick:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

speedo cable needed

Reply #9
yes it has autometers in it. but when the cable snapped,i texted the guy asking if it was the stock cable to the car {he claims they have had it since new} and he told me yes,its the stock cable..

ugh,think ill hit up autometer and see what they say.

the car has a c4 trans in it now,after looking around,the c4/t5/aod cables are all the same. leave it to ford to do some backwoods shiznit like this,my 93 mustang has a speedo cable...yet this OLDER 88 cougar had electronic? hah.

speedo cable needed

Reply #10
Remember, the base cluster in these cars had a digital speedometer. In fact, for 1985 to 1987, all T-Birds and Cougars except the Turbo Coupe had a digital speedometer, and in 1988 all except the TC, Sport and XR7 were digital. I imagine Ford simply went with electronic speedos in the Turbo Coupe and 88 XR7/Sport for simplicity's sake - one of the few things Ford has ever done for simplicity's sake.

If your Autometer uses a stock cable it'd probably be one for a Mustang...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

speedo cable needed

Reply #11
If you have a C-4 in the car then you need to look at the back of the speedo and tell me if the cable is screwed on or is it cliped on. The C-4 is an early trans and I do believe I have some depending on what you need. You can email me at mercurycat21@hotmail.com and if you could, send me a photo on the back of the speedo or the end of the cable that would go in there.
Good luck
Ken

speedo cable needed

Reply #12
Speedometer cables may be purchased at your local auto parts store. Auto Meter speedometers come with a standard 5/8" x 18 threaded cable input that requires a .104" sq. male drive. The speedometer is calibrated for a 1:1 drive ratio (1,000 RPM at 60 MPH input at the speedometer head.)

that was taken from autometers website.....