Skip to main content
Topic: Holy body roll batman!! (Read 5200 times) previous topic - next topic

Holy body roll batman!!

I just got done installing a mustang front sway bar with energy suspension bushings and end links and OH MY GOD is there a difference. I had the stock bar on there and the driver side bushing and end link were pretty much useless (power steering pump leak a long time ago rotted them away). The car no longer feels like a slushbox!

oh, and I got the bushings/end links from cheperformance.com :ies:  :ies: control arms are on the way

Re: Holy body roll batman!!

Reply #1
Are the bushings different from the ones pictures on their website? I just went out and looked at the bushings on my '86, and the mounting looks significantly different than what's pictured there.

http://cheperformance.com/cartgenie/prodInfo.asp?pid=39&cid=5

Had to look in the Mustang section because I didn't see any in the T-bird section.

Reply #2
i thought the tbird sports had the same swaybars front and rear as the turbo coupe, wich i thought was bigger than the mustangs....?
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #3
Quote from: Bird351
Are the bushings different from the ones pictures on their website? I just went out and looked at the bushings on my '86, and the mounting looks significantly different than what's pictured there.

http://cheperformance.com/cartgenie/prodInfo.asp?pid=39&cid=5

Had to look in the Mustang section because I didn't see any in the T-bird section.

On the Tbird,  the bushings are spaced away from the frame a bit more.  What you will need is just the bushings and you will reuse your existing brackets.  If you use the shorter Mustang brackets, you will need to space then away from the frame or the sway bar will hit the engine and you will also need different end links as well if you use shorter brackets.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #4
So I "Should" have reused my old brackets. DOH!!!
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #5
You're not kidding about body roll... that's why they make the door handles for these cars outta metal. They last longer sing on pavement in turns...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #6
Quote from: Chuck W
On the Tbird,  the bushings are spaced away from the frame a bit more.  What you will need is just the bushings and you will reuse your existing brackets.  If you use the shorter Mustang brackets, you will need to space then away from the frame or the sway bar will hit the engine and you will also need different end links as well if you use shorter brackets.

That  near saves my week from being a completely depressing turd of a week. Now that you answered that particular question, I just need a few more credit sales and I can pop for a set of bushings and end links, and hope that that cures the rattle in my '86's front end. That and a cheap alternator (for now) and I can almost forget being ripped off by a customer.

Reply #7
Hey zpyro,

Is that stock mustang bar 1 5/16'. a buddy of mine wants to sell me one for $15, and also on the poly bushings did you drill a hole in the bracket so you can grease the bushing. Thats if you reused the stock brackets, Just want to know if it works before I try it.

Reply #8
Quote from: Bird351
That  near saves my week from being a completely depressing turd of a week. Now that you answered that particular question, I just need a few more credit sales and I can pop for a set of bushings and end links, and hope that that cures the rattle in my '86's front end. That and a cheap alternator (for now) and I can almost forget being ripped off by a customer.

you're not the only one having a bad week. I've missed out on about 4 different mustang rollers for about $700 each, and they were all worth at least twice that. my girlfriend and I got in a fight because she went to dinner with a guy with whom she slept while we were still together. her excuse? "I decided I don't want to sacrifice a friendship for you," to which I said "So you'd rather sacrifice me for a friendship, thanks." Also, I can't even get her turned on anymore  every time I try to get somethin started I get shut down like it was the first date I was going to get a job at NAPA but apparently they aren't looking for hard-working, honest people, because I "failed" their psychological profile test  :bs: x eleventy-billion. I apparently owe $400 in taxes, which is more than a two-week paycheck for me. I'm pretty much dropping out of school, this semester was a waste and I probably won't get enough $ for next year.

dunno if it's any consolation, but I'm having one helluva time too :sorry:
Quote from: bluebird46
Hey zpyro,

Is that stock mustang bar 1 5/16'. a buddy of mine wants to sell me one for $15, and also on the poly bushings did you drill a hole in the bracket so you can grease the bushing. Thats if you reused the stock brackets, Just want to know if it works before I try it.

yea the bar is 1 5/16", $15 is a pretty good price I got mine for about that much at the yard. I didn't drill any holes, I thought poly bushings didn't need to be greased. they did come with a little tube of lube (heehee) that I used tho.

Reply #9
oh and that really loud clanking sound in the front end when I hit the brakes?....it's still there :shoothead

Reply #10
have you checked the strutt bearings and the ball joints

i ended up putting greasable energy suspension bushings on my 85 and it turned out my ball joint on ps was going and the strutt bearing on the ds was done.

Reply #11
struts have bearings?? :confused: I thought that was something like headlight fluid or exhaust bearing :p

how do you check the ball joints?

Reply #12
Do you mean the strut mount at the top of the strut tower?

Reply #13
i have bearings. ^_^

not by default though. but, what's a strut bearing on a ds? driveshaft??? i'm confused.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #14
I think he means Passenger Side and Driver Side. PS/DS.