Skip to main content
Topic: Fuel pump upgrade (Read 749 times) previous topic - next topic

Fuel pump upgrade

I have found quite an easy way to upgrade the fuel pump on a -88 T-bird. So far I have done it on 2 -88 T-birds. One have been running without any problem for last 3 years.
I think most of you are interested to upgrade to a 255 l/min fuel pump from the original whimpy 60-70 l/min.
I have used a BBK 255 l/min part number 1607. Will fit 86-98 Mustang.
At first glanze it will not fit at all.
The Mustang fuel pump is smaller in diameter and the fitting to fuel filter is not fitting either.
I came up with a easy solution. Just use 28mm (approx 1 1/8 inch) 45 degree plumber brass fitting.

This is the original fuel pump.(hopefully you can see it)
X

This is the comparsion between the fuel pumps.
The Mustang fuel pump have the brass fitting attached.
X

I have to cut and grinding the 45 degree fitting a bit to get the end result properly.
Before to install the Mustang pump I added a hose clamp, just to make sure it will not fall off.
I also added some rubber hose pieces. I actually used from these shiznitty generic never use hoses. The reason for that is to get the fuel filter pickup in the same position as the original for the T-bird.
X

Due to limit of pictures I will continue with this upgrade in later mail.

//Stefan

Fuel pump upgrade

Reply #1
Continue....

Then force the fuel pump together with the rubber pieces in to the original rubber boot. Take care that the direction for the fuel filter will get as close as possible to the original loacation.
X
Then force it in to the metal bracket (WD40 is a good choose to use). The metal brackets might have to be adjusted to achive the proper result.
X
The end result shall be a complete package with the same height as the original fuel pump package. The next picture shows the fuel pump inserted in the original T-bird bracket with Mustang fuel pump, 45 degree brass fitting and the submit fuel filter with BBK 1607 package. Straight fuel hose is used instead of supplied hose in the kit. I also used some tywraps to even secure the pump further.
X

//Stefan

Fuel pump upgrade

Reply #2
That was the exact problem i had.  I never thought of a 45deg fitting to transition the new sock filter though.  My replacement pump is for a 1990 supercharged 3.8L. ITs got a good bit more LPH rating than the stock bosch.

nice write up!

Fuel pump upgrade

Reply #3
my 255 fuel pump came out of my buddys 98 cobra it fits pretty good.
84 el camino ss-daily driver(efi mild sbc,2004r, posi 3:42 rear.)
84 mercury cougar v6- was a v6/ nitrous drag car, going back to mostly stock
81 chevy malibu-protouring/  drag car.( efi sbc supercharged 283 that will rev to the moon, 2004r, 4:11 posi rear)

Fuel pump upgrade

Reply #4
Nice first post.

Are the Bosch 040 pumps available in your area?
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fuel pump upgrade

Reply #5
Most of the parts will be availble on order....here in sweden.
But, I find my ways around in a more economic way (for my own pocket) :).
I actually bought my T-bird when I lived in Texas for 16 years ago.
It was a daily driver until my divorce, since then it's my toy.
It have since the divorce been through alot of upgrades/changes.
It's still fully streetable. I use it most of the time for 6 month pro year... if no problems occur.
The current setup is as pretty short .... 347, T56, 9'', strengthening and so on.... as most of usually do.
Sad to say, more or less I have bought all of the parts from US and brought it back to Sweden... in other words I have cheeted the swedish custom most of the times (and supported US), swedish custom like to have 12% in custom plus atop of all 25% sales tax (yes the sales tax is 25% in sweden).
To accomplish this I have imported some american cars through the years.. Not even the custom knows what you can hide inside the cars :).
It's also good that's allowed to have 2 suitcases a' 70 lb (last year it was decreased to 60 lb if you were not prefered passenger).
This winter I have to get a new third member ... the previous was laying on the starting grid in a september drag race... not fun.
This time it will be a Detroit locker with 4.30 gearing and 35 splines shafts (the 28 splines are twisted). I will also upgrade to 5 bolt rims (too many studs broken in the last years when using 4 bolt rims).
I like to move back to US just for the easy and cheep supply of car parts.
//Stefan