Skip to main content
Topic: T5 is in, got a question for those of you who have done the swap... (Read 2222 times) previous topic - next topic

T5 is in, got a question for those of you who have done the swap...

The tranny is finally bolted into the car! That's the good news.

The bad news is that it doesn't look right. After bolting the tranny to the engine I had to jack the back end of it way up to get the cross member in there (the cross member is from my parts TC, a T5 car, so the mount holes lined up). By "way up" I mean "shifter bolts touching the floor". At first I thought it may have been my Energy Suspension rear mount, but no, I compared that with the stock mount that I took off the tranny and the heights were identical. I then figured I'd be able to tell if it was supposed to be like that by looking at the engine fan - if the rear of the tranny was up too high the front of the engine would be low, so the fan wouldn't be centered in the shroud. The fan looks good in the shroud, and the engine looks like it's sitting in the car the way it always did.

I came to the conclusion that it's normal and that I simply didn't make the shifter hole in the floor big enough. I made the hole bigger, and now nothing is touching, but I just wanted to make sure this is normal before putting the driveshaft back in (I've got the driveshaft from that parts TC, too) and having shaged up driveline angles.

So, my question: Is it normal, or do I have some weird sort of crossmember making it sit too high in the rear (crossmember is the same shape as the AOD one that came out, except of course the ends were in different positions)?
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #1
I had the same issue. Not sure if it is "normal" though. Did the TC have a hump under the console?
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #2
From what I know about the T-5 swap, the hole in the tunnel has to be pretty large to accommodate the shifter. If you had the factory plus-shaped AOD shifter hole, the 4 tabs (corners) would need knocked out at the very least. So I think what you did was probably correct. Carpet covers everything anyhow, right?!

having shaged up driveline angles

Ah, I though Nova Scotia was too far northeast for that type of French Canadian dialect. ;)

Actually Carm, you bring up a great point. Our drivelines are NOT centered in these cars, left-to-right. There is a slight passenger side bias in every Fox vehicle I've ever inspected, especially at the rear suspension points. So if you look down the driveshaft tunnel and the shaft itself is off to the passenger side just a hair, then you are aligned correctly.

Also, just for posterity's sake, the steering column has a left-leaning bias as you sit in the seat...it is not centered. That explains why our seats have the "Fox lean"--our bodies naturally try to center themselves in the seat, but the column forces our left sides foward, therefore pushing our right sides backward and twisting the seat backs.

Gotta love Ford.

Reply #3
Shifter bolts touching the floor?

My whole shifter is through the floor. :hick:

Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #4
Mines close to the floor to.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #5
Cool, thanks for the answers, everyone. Now I can finish up the swap :D
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #6
Mine isn't that close.I had the factory floor shifter (AOD),and zero mods were done to do the swap (cutting,fitting,etc.).100% bolt in.My shifter didn't go through the floor like 5.0 bird's.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #7
Quote from: EricCoolCats;249635

Actually Carm, you bring up a great point. Our drivelines are NOT centered in these cars, left-to-right. There is a slight passenger side bias in every Fox vehicle I've ever inspected, especially at the rear suspension points. So if you look down the driveshaft tunnel and the shaft itself is off to the passenger side just a hair, then you are aligned correctly.

I often wondered why my driveshaft was offset like that.thanks for mentioning that Eric.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Reply #8
Quote from: vinnietbird;249651
Mine isn't that close.I had the factory floor shifter (AOD),and zero mods were done to do the swap (cutting,fitting,etc.).100% bolt in.My shifter didn't go through the floor like 5.0 bird's.

Your car must be bent :shakeass:

Mine didn't stick out like 5.0 bird's, but it's definitely close to the floor. The car was originally column shift with a consolette. Didn't notice whether the parts TC had any different shape to the floor - I stripped it three years ago, and it's long been cut up, crushed, and reincarnated into a Chinese Geely. Thankfully when I stipped it I knew I would one day do a 5-speed swap, so I saved everything (both shifter boots, driveshaft, crossmember, etc).

Reply #9
Mine didn't stick out like 5.0 bird's, but it's definitely close to the floor
ditto here.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #10
Don't you have to use the v8 trans cross member not the 4cyl tc one????

Reply #11
You can't use the 4 cylinder one because it only has one mounting hole in the center, where as the V8 uses two mounting holes, like a mustang.

The factory T5 cars, and floor shift cars have a large hole cut in the floor, then a raised panel that gets spot welded to the trans tunnel, which adds something like another inch of clearance height wise, and more width. The inner boot also mounts to that panel. If I ever remember, I can take pictures of the panel, I have one I need to put in my red car.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #12
Quote from: dominator;249728
Don't you have to use the v8 trans cross member not the 4cyl tc one????
Quote from: Tbird232ci;249739
You can't use the 4 cylinder one because it only has one mounting hole in the center, where as the V8 uses two mounting holes, like a mustang.

My V8 cross member had two holes, my TC one had three (I have no idea which of the three the original Turbo Coupe tranny used). My Energy Suspension mount was actually bought for the AOD that was in the car, but I'd never used it. The T5 apparently uses the same mount. The energy suspension mount had three threaded holes in the bottom, but I only used the outer two.

Quote from: Tbird232ci;249739
The factory T5 cars, and floor shift cars have a large hole cut in the floor, then a raised panel that gets spot welded to the trans tunnel, which adds something like another inch of clearance height wise, and more width. The inner boot also mounts to that panel. If I ever remember, I can take pictures of the panel, I have one I need to put in my red car.
That would make sense. I saved the inner boot, but didn't pull the carpet out of the parts TC so I don't remember any raised panel. Wish I'd have known, I'd have saved it. Oh well... with the hole enlarged there's about 1/2" of clearance, and with the energy suspension rear mount and Chuck's front mounts it shouldn't move that much anyway...

Noticed another thing today. The Turbo Coupe drive shaft is about 3/4" shorter than the V8 one. I used the TC one - it had two brand new U-joints in it, while the original had the original 20-year-old joints.

'Nuther question: I had a fun time trying to figure out where to route the clutch cable. I ended up going between the engine and the engine mount, alongside the oil pan, as that was the only place that would allow the cable a straight shot to the clutch fork. This makes the cable touch the exhaust manifold (yes, still stock manifolds, a least until summer when I can deal with bending up some new front pipes and adding O2 bungs). There is a metal bracket attached to the cable that I assume attaches to the strut tower to keep the thing away from the manifold (or header, in a Mustang). Yet I can't see any holes where the bracket would be attached. Could someone take a pic of how their clutch cable attaches to the strut tower?

Reply #13
I'm not near my car at the moment, it was fun trying to find how it ran but your right about where you ran it. The hole is on the front side of the strut tower there may be some wires hiding it.
should be two holes one for the tab if its still on your bracket. I used a 1/4" bolt and nut to fasten it.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #14
Pics!!!  Where's the pics?    :beatyoass:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]http://www.fquick.com/slicksport88
88 Sport - 5.0HO, Mass Air, A9L, 73mm C&L meter, BBK CAI, 255 lph pump, 1.7 roller rockers,Professional Products damper, Chuck W motor mounts, BBK shorties & H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, 8.8 rear w/3.27's, 93 Cobra M/C, BAER 13in. drilled/slotted rotors front and back, cobra calipers, Russell braided brake lines front & back, C/C plates, 03cobra rims, 255/40/17 Nitto 555's all around