Skip to main content
Topic: dreaded "S" on digitial dash (Read 1959 times) previous topic - next topic

dreaded "S" on digitial dash

at 83K or so i had pulled the cluster from the dash as the lights were flickering. found a broken lead on the printed circit board. fixed this with rear window defogger repair kit. worked great no more flicker and lights are bright again. however the large greeen "S" in the cluster has appeared. according to shop manual this means a replacement odometer?? well its the original and the milage (now 94K) is correct for the car. is there a way to turn off the "S" letter

tahnks
walt
87 5.0
Just starting mods :america:
Baylensman 97 XR7

Re: dreaded "S" on digitial dash

Reply #1
Quote from: baylensman
at 83K or so i had pulled the cluster from the dash as the lights were flickering. found a broken lead on the printed circit board. fixed this with rear window defogger repair kit. worked great no more flicker and lights are bright again. however the large greeen "S" in the cluster has appeared. according to shop manual this means a replacement odometer?? well its the original and the milage (now 94K) is correct for the car. is there a way to turn off the "S" letter

tahnks
walt
87 5.0
Just starting mods :america:

I thought the guy who discovered the 199 MPH resistor change also discovered that it was a resistor on the PCB that turned the dreaded "S" on - I could be wrong though...
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #2
I bought my Cougar and was told it had 41,000 original miles. After owning the car a few months, I finally found out what that was for as well. The  speedo has been replaced. However, the car is in way to good of condition to ever doubt the authenticity of the mileage. Maybe it was replaced early in the cars life? Did these cars ever have a history of bad speedos? Id be interested to know how to turn the "S" off too.

Reply #3
Bondocougar discovered this last year when he posted about the digital speedo mod:

Quote from: bondocougar
W3 Jumper - I confirmed like someone mentioned earlier that a jumper in the W3 position turns on the "S" indicator in the speedo.

So there you have it.  I'm not sure what it means, but there it is anyway.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #4
Probably what happened is that replacement speedo modules from Ford had the W3 jumper soldered on. Removing that jumper will remove the S from the display. If indeed there was a Ford-replaced speedo unit in a car, by U.S. law they had to put a sticker in the door jamb stating so. Work done at a dealership would certainly have the sticker...but for those that did the work themselves, the chances of that sticker being present are slim to none.

Reply #5
Quote from: ericcoolcats
Probably what happened is that replacement speedo modules from Ford had the W3 jumper soldered on. Removing that jumper will remove the S from the display.

Yeah but how would that explain having the "S" indicator light up when you take a speedo from one car and put it in another?
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #7
yeah ive found em in there before and they are a pain in the ass to get out cuz they grab ahold of everything when you are trying to pull em out.:D
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #8
LOL!  :D  :hick:

Reply #9
yeah it was fun pulling em out til they went swingin for my nutz now have one of them buggers goin for them is not cool!
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com