Skip to main content
Topic: Exhaust Question (Read 1194 times) previous topic - next topic

Exhaust Question

I have an 88 Sport.

In the fall of 2K6 my pipes were rotting pretty bad and I didn't want things falling off and damaging the underside. A buddy and I took off the whole exhaust from the cats. I've been driving it like that since and have had no performance problems, or cop stops either. It's loud but not much more than some I hear with decent dual systems. Though a good setup SOUNDS sweeter.

I am delaying putting anything on because I am afraid at 21 years, gettting the manifold off so I can put on the headers + H pipe will be a problem. How do you take out a bolt that has been in place for 21 years and is probably fused solid in the block?

Also am I doing any damage? Should I have anything adjusted (timing, fule mix)?

Runs fine @227000 miles on original engine + trans (AOD) and getting 22-24 MPG highway.

Larry B.

Exhaust Question

Reply #1
I wouldn't worry about it too much. The bolts should come out fine. I think there a 9/16ths or 5'8ths. You'll need both a deep socket and a regular on for the studs and the farthest back bolts.

Overall, they were kinda tight, but with how big the threads are you should be able to get them off without breaking them.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Exhaust Question

Reply #2
:rollin:
Quote from: leblumax;245409

I am delaying putting anything on because I am afraid at 21 years, gettting the manifold off so I can put on the headers + H pipe will be a problem. How do you take out a bolt that has been in place for 21 years and is probably fused solid in the block?

your speculating.  theres no reason why you couldnt test each bolt one at a time to see what you are up against.  I wouldnt think any would be a problem unless there is an odd buildup of corrosion.

My way to remove them is to start the car for about 30sec and shut it off.  this warms up the metal near the bolts and the heads expand a little.  helps break them loose.

Exhaust Question

Reply #3
Thanks. I knew someone would have reasuring words and helpful info.

I'll post when I get to the point I want to do it.

Exhaust Question

Reply #5
I've had a set of headers for about 2 years. Just haven't felt the pressing need to see if it can be done.

I've been thinking I would do it when the engine decides it's time for a overhaul/rebuild. At 227000 miles it may come sooner rather than later.

As long as I am not being harrased for the noise.

Larry B.

Exhaust Question

Reply #6
when i was swapping the the stock heads off my 85 cougar for a set of 64' 289 heads i just soaked the bolts with a little wd40 and tranny fluid let it sit over night and they came right out
88 cougar v6- $75
87 351w pi- $50
5.8 liters in a cougar- priceless!
:burnout: